Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seagal

Almond Bread-WoW

Seagal

This looks delicious and I just had to share! All my bread recipes were rather flat, this actually looks like a regular loaf of bread.

Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen: Almond Bread for stuffing or eating

She used fat free cream cheese because it had fewer carbs, but any type will do.

Per Serving

157 cal

133 fat

7 gms protein

5 carbs

2 fiber

Moonpie

well, I have all the ingredients & I had intended to make my flax bread today, but now I may try this instead :)

jwags

I love her blog site. She always has such good and fairly easy recipes. All my low carb breads come out flat, too. This recipe may be a keeper. I may try some today.

Seagal

I took my loaf out of the oven about 20 min. ago. It looks lovely, not as good as Ginny's, but my loaf pan is not 4x8 more like 4x9.5, so the loaf is skinnier, which may be a good thing....more slices?

Very hard not to slice into it ....ya know?.....just to see if the texture is good? But, I will wait and post back. I am hoping to make a very small portion of dressing/stuffing to take with me to our family's Thanksgiving. It has been so long since I've made stuffing, I barely remember how, but I'm sure it will come back to me:)

jwags

I spent the afternoon putting up Christmas lights since it was 65 out. Won't turn them on until Dec, but it beats freezing my fingers off. I will try making it tomorrow. I think I have all the ingredients. It would be nice to have a bread that is low carb and looks like bread.

Seagal

This bread is delicious! My loaf isn't as broad as Ginny's due to the loaf pan size. Mine is 4x9.5 and she said she used 4x8. My slices are more narrow. Dh & I split one slice just to see what it was like and I used great restraint not to keep eating, so keeping in the freezer might be a good idea (for me).

I sliced two slices, cubed them and put in the oven to toast. I plan on making a small portion of turkey stuffing to take to the Family's Thanksgiving dinner (not to share, they have their own!).

The texture is really wonderful and has great flavor. I did make one mistake, it calls for 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp. salt. I misread it and used 1 tsp. salt. Thankfully, it was not salty at all. I can't wait to try the variations and bet it would make a good cinnamon bread.

I am looking forward to trying it in my muffin top pans.

jwags

I used the standard bread pan 9.5 x 4, too. I just pulled it out of the oven. Mine didn't rise quite as high, either. I was wondering if my baking soda has lost it's punch. I think it is kind of old. Also I added 1/2 cup of flaxseed and only 2 cups of the almond meal. I wonder how many loaves I need to make stuffing? I also used the regular cream cheese because that is what I had.

Seagal

jwags, hope you like it. I used regular cream cheese also. Good thought about the baking soda. If I can find a shorter bread pan, I might try that next time.

I had a piece toasted with my egg for breakfast and my b.g. went up 7 points and is now below when I awoke, so that makes me happy. Normally, I would never eat anything with carbs for breakfast. The funniest thing about making toast was I hadn't seen my toaster since 2003 and really had to hunt for it and then it needed cleaning before I could use it. Yes....I really wanted to have a piece of toast and see what it would do to my numbers.

jwags

I make Laura Dolson's Foccacia bread and some time carefully split it and toast it in the toaster oven. I saw one suggestion to make low carb breads in those muffin top pans, so they are almost like rolls or bagels. I've been looking for them locally and can't find them. I think I will have to order them online. Lately I've been eating sprouted bread, still get a spike but it usually comes down within 2 hours under 100, most days. It has been great for my weight loss and I do feel a lot healthier. If I can get this bread to rise a little more it will be a lower carb option than the Eziekel. Also I think adding the coconut oil probably helps with the spike.

Moonpie

I make bread in a loaf pan, using 2 cups low carb mix, one cup flax meal & one cup of nut meal & some bulger added in. It rises well. I use baking powder. I use the recipe for muffins on the bag of the lc mix,( but I double the quantities) & instead of using all oil, I use half oil & half buttermilk, it works well, looks like a hearty whole grain bread, slices well & does ok for toast.

jwags

I think I may need to increase the ingredients for the standard bread pan. I just sliced some for lunch it was great, but I don't think the slices are big enough to toast unless I sliced it length wise. I think I should replace my soda and may add some baking powder, too. I noticed on her recipe she said blanched almond flour. I use the almond meal from Trader Joes which I think is coarser, maybe that is the difference.

Seagal

My slices toasted, but I had to turn the toaster upside down to get them out....

My almond meal is from Honeyville grain and because of this recipe I just ordered another 5# bag. I think I will try baking powder in my next loaf and use the muffin top pans.

jwags

Where did you find your muffin top pans. I've checked at Bed, Bath & Beyond and Target and Walmart, they just have the regular muffin pans. Since I added golden flaxseed mine came out very dark, just like banana bread. If I didn't know better I would think it tastes like it. The coconut oil makes it so moist, which I think makes it hard to toast too. It is not dry like most low carb breads.

Seagal

I just took out a batch of spicy mini-muffins and they are realllllllly good. I added some pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and a few drops of liquid sucralose to half the batter and put the other half in the muffin top pans. Dh really liked it all and particularly the muffin tops....my guess is it is because they are a lot bigger than the slice of bread I gave him yesterday:) I think I would rather do the loaf, it is easier to portion out.

Seagal

Diaboki, don't know if you meant me or not, but I have tried it and love it. The texture is excellent and the flavor is great. Yesterday, I had a slice toasted with my egg. Today I split one of the muffin tops and made an actual sandwich. The spice mini muffins are wonderful and very flavorful. I think the banana flavor would be great and I would add some chopped walnuts also. I don't have any banana extract or I would have made some. I think lemon or orange would be delicious too. I may try one with some lemon Crystal Light that I have in the pantry.

The best part is it does not affect my b.g.

Seagal

Sorry Jwags, didn't see your post. I can't remember where I bought mine, but I think it must have been online. I googled muffin top pans and there are several places including Williams-Sonoma and Amazon ($15.99).

jwags

Thanks, I think I need to go online and get them. They are the perfect size for rolls. I made 2 more loaves today and put some herbs de provence in to use for stuffing tomorrow. It tastes great. I added the baking powder and increased the almond meal, but it still did not rise as much as Ginny's. It did taste great . I made a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich in a paini maker with a little coconut oil on top. I think I could have left the added CO off, it was very moist and crispy. Plus my bgs have hovered around 90 all day. I like that, no spikes.

Seagal

That is great! Your sandwich sounds wonderful. I made ham and grilled cheese for our early dinner today along with a salad.....I feel very decadent and sinful. My numbers are not as good as yours, but not much over 100. I checked Amazon and they have several pans starting at $13 something.

Our local Smart n Final has Philly cream cheese for .99 ea. I think I'll pick up some more Friday. The expiration dates on the ones I bought are in March, so I wouldn't even have to freeze them.

jwags

I picked up 4 packages of organic cream cheese today, but I guess it would be cheaper to use regular. I think I need to experiment to get a higher rise out of my bread. My daughter keeps telling me without yeast it can't be done. I like the idea of the muffin pan tops. I think I will order them tomorrow. I think I will get a lot of use out of them. On Linda's Low carb site , she has a recipe for cocounut cheddar bisquits that would be good in them.

Seagal

If I am very careful, I can split them in half and still use for a sandwich, but perhaps if I put more batter in, I wouldn't have to be so careful. Of course, I think the muffin tops are probably more carbs than a small slice of bread, so I'm thinking the muffin tops for d.h. and the smaller bread slices for me. Heck, it still makes a sandwich and after all, I am aiming for smaller portions and weight loss...still imagining the day when a size 4 would drop off of me (like you).

Moonpie

a tip I was given about "rising" you need to put your batter into the hot oven quickly, so do not let it sit on the counter. Apparently, the active ingredient in the baking powder gets activated, one you add the "wet ingredients. I was told this by a woman who bakes alot, My breads have been rising fairly well, I am satisfied.

jwags

I think the difference in rising is because I used the almond meal. Evidently there is a difference with the blanched almond flour. It has the oil removed. So what I used was denser meal. I can buy almond meal locally for about $3 a pound. The bleached almond flour online seems to be about $6 a pound. Has anyone found it cheaper?

Moonpie

I don't know, I use the almond meal from TJs, & I also found some walnut flour which is much coarser than the almond meal, but I bought it anyhow as it was only $2.25 a pound. I have not yet made any breads using only a nut flour, but the breads I make tend to be a mix of nut, flax & low carb mix, or sometimes I use organic spelt instead of the lc mix. They all rise well for me, & I am no expert baker. For Tg I added a few raw cranberries & the bread rose at lest one inch over the loaf pan. Even DH loved it.

(Sorry to hijack the original thread ) I must try it soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.