Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seagal

Almond Bread-WoW

ZoraP

I've been making this basic recipe (it's known as "Lois Lang's Luscious Almond Bread" in its original version) for quite a while and I think it's my favorite low-carb bread. I also make Laura Dolson's flax bread, with modifications. I grind my own almond meal from blanched almonds and my bread rises pretty well, although I'd like to try actual almond flour sometime and see if it's any different. I bake it in a long, skinny pan (maybe 12 by 3 inches?) so it makes nice, petite slices. Oh, and I also use the "dry curd cottage cheese" that the original recipe called for instead of cream cheese. I made a lemon poppy seed variation recently that was great -- just added some grated lemon peel, lemon juice, poppy seed, and a few drops of stevia. It was delicious and my whole family enjoyed it, especially spread with cream cheese. And it's also friendly to my blood sugar levels, so it's definitely a "keeper" for me. I just love a piece of toast in the morning.

JungleJim

Question for those who have made this bread. How thick was your batter when you poured it in the pan? I thought I measured my Almond flour correctly, but my batter was as thick as cookie dough and had to be "put in" the pan. This caused the top to be pretty rough and bumpy. I was tempted to add some warm water to thin the batter down, but I didn't know what the "unintended consequences" might be. Overall the bread was pretty good.

Seagal

My batter was rough & lumpy the first time. The second time, I used the back of a spoon dipped in hot water to smooth it out.

Yes, I have to "put it in" the pan with a spatula.

Jwags, I use Honeyville Grain's almond meal, it is made with blanched (not the bleached that has been mentioned)almonds and is very fine as opposed to the almond meal I've gotten from Trader Joe's. I don't think it makes a huge difference in the final outcome.

I'm thinking of making a green chile, cheddar cheese loaf and black olive loaf.

jwags

I also notice a difference if you soften the cream cheese in th microwave. One time I forgot and added it in a block and my batter didn't mix as well and was thicker. I have been using traditional bread pans but have a very old one that is long a skinny for making italian bread that I may use next time. Even though mine doesn't rise a lot it is delcious and doesn't raise bg at all which is important.

JungleJim

I feel better knowing that my very thick batter is "normal". Made some french toast out of this bread this morning. Good stuff.

jwags

Last week I made some and added caraway, sesame seeds and chia seeds to the mix. It tasted a lot like rye bread. I slice it in small slices and make grilled sandwiches on my paini maker. Yummm

jwags

I used both baking powder and baking soda. It didn't make it rise any higher but it tasted fine. I think the almond meal from TJ's has the skins chopped up which makes it a heavier than the blanched almond meal in the original recipe.

pat1203

Darn it, that site won't load for me! I bought a large bag of almonds with that process in mind. Can you tell me more about it since I'm having problems? I figured I could just pop them into the Cuisinart and do it that way until I had them very finely chopped.

jwags

It was from Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen. I tried to post the link but it wouldn't work. She used blanched almonds and put them in the Cuisinart and processed them. Then she put them in a blender in small batches and blended them until they were a finer consistency. I'll have to gos price those blanced almonds. I have the ones with the skins but not blanched ones. I'll experiment and let you know.

Seagal

Pop the almonds in very hot water and after a few minutes remove the skins...now you have blanched almonds. I do small batches at a time so the almonds don't get waterlogged. I like to do this and put melted coconut oil, salt & roast in the oven til pale golden & crunchy. A lot of stores call them Marconi Almonds and they are expensive.

Sorry, I can't help with the grinding your own almonds, I buy the 5# bag at Honeyville Grains, I don't have a food processor.

jwags

I've seen blanched almonds in the store but they are pricey, I'll have to check around to see if I can buy a big bag blanched already. I do have the big bag of almonds with the skins , I may try the soaking method.

Seagal

Youbetcha those blanched almonds are expensive!

When I get through here talking to all, I am going to make my almonds. When I said in my previous post re very hot water, I use a tea kettle and bring it to a boil, it doesn't take long for the skins to loosen and slip off, and it is a rather mindless act during these hectic last days before Christmas:)

Moonpie

well, I finally made my first batch :) The dough tasted so good, I am anxious to eat this later. I had some ground blanched almonds in the pantry, I picked it up when we visited the Blue diamond gift shop a few months ago. I tend to pick up these products when I see them, as I know it will get used. Report to follow. Thanks Seagal, great recipe.

Seagal

I hope you enjoy Moonpie!

I am going to bake some with Jwags suggestions for "rye" bread, I found some carraway seeds in my pantry.

I am thinking of adding one of the s.f. torani syrups (maybe orange with some zest) and making a desert bread. Maybe the irish cream would be good with a cup of coffee?

Moonpie

Well, it rose, & tastes fantastic, except the bottom fell off LOL I think maybe I did not grease the bottom of the pan well enough. I often line the pan with used butter wrappers, but was out. It baked in about 45 minutes. Was brown on top, rose, & passed the knife test, so I took it out, & attempted to put it on the cooling rack, that is when is fell apart. SO I was able to eat all the crusty bits right off the pan LOL has a great flavor, & it is the favorite bread I've made to date, really does taste like the "real" thing.

Yeah, I think the sf syrups will be great in it, I used some peach syrup with a few raw cranberries a few weeks ago, in a different recipe & the flavor was good too.

Thanks, this one is a keeper :)

FarmerCathy

I really want to try this, I have all the ingredients, just need the time to do it. I will attempt to make it tomorrow afternoon. :D

foxl

Why blanch them?

The whole ones probably add some fiber, and the taste is lovely with them!

Youbetcha those blanched almonds are expensive!

When I get through here talking to all, I am going to make my almonds. When I said in my previous post re very hot water, I use a tea kettle and bring it to a boil, it doesn't take long for the skins to loosen and slip off, and it is a rather mindless act during these hectic last days before Christmas:)

Cormac_Doyle

strangely, in Ireland 200g of blanched almonds is approximately 15c cheaper than 200g of non-blanched ones ...

Moonpie

LOL When I was in Ireland last year, I could not find almond flour anywhere, but of course, my family is in the middle of nowhere. I was glad I had brought some with me.

Has anyone frozen this bread. It is so good, a loaf only lasts us 2 days. I keep telling DH I will buy him bread from the market, but he prefers the homemade stuff. Go figure. It is easier to make 2 or 3 loaves at the same time, rather than drag everything out & heat the oven every few days, so I was wondering if it would freeze well. I may freeze just a slice today :)

jwags

I think it would do fine frozen. I freeze muffins made with almond flour and they defrost fine. I think it would be easier to do one big baking day a week.

Seagal

I did a double batch before Christmas and froze them both. It is easy to unwrap and cut a few slices and put back. There was no change in texture or taste.

It occurred to me that this bread has the fine texture of cake and it would be good with a bit of s.f. flavoring and have for desert with whipped cream.

jwags

The first time I made it mine tasted very similar to Banana Bread, of course without the Bananas. I think by adding different Torani syrup and some chopped nuts you could vary the flavor. I haven't made it in a few weeks with the holidays, I need to start making it again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.