Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seagal

Almond Bread-WoW

Moonpie

I was thinking the same thing, I am going to add some unsweetened cocoa powder to a batch for DH bday & make it into a chocolate cake. It reminds me of the pound cake I made using chef Barraees pound cake recipe last year.

Abra

I just made this for the first time today - wow is it good. Since I don't eat any fruit or any artificial sweeteners the basic recipe tastes like cake to me. I'm thinking add a little orange zest and cinnamon, a splash of vanilla, and it'll be the first real dessert I've had in 18 months!

Moonpie

I just got a few more bags of blanched ground almonds. The Blue Diamond factory gift shops sell them. SO I see a variety of flavored (almond) breads/cakes in my future :)

Moonpie

bumping this thread, as this bread is so awesome. I make mine with 2 cups almond flour & half cup of bran or flax. It makes it less cakey & more like bread (IMO) It works great in the muffin top pans ( got mine at the hardware store) Enjoy!

Larry H.

I have tended to avoid almond flour recipes with cream cheeses in them since one was put up here and I tired it only to discover it was so "damp" and somewhat soggy. I have enough issues with almond flour getting a real texture to it that adding the heavy cheese seemed self defeating. But after all these glowing reviews I may have to give it a try again. I too have found my more successful recipes have some additional flax seed meal which seems to help it have a "texture" that resembles muffins or breads to me.

rwallen

My wife made this for me using the original recpe. Taste wise, it's a good alternative. The size of the pieces are small. I realize my diet is probably not balanced correctly. I have lowered my carb intake but the amount of calories and fat this bread, compared to the store bought kind I buy, kinda scares me for only 4.5 less carbs. Once I have my weight where I want it, using my methods, then I will be willing to experiment more.

Moonpie
I have tended to avoid almond flour recipes with cream cheeses in them since one was put up here and I tired it only to discover it was so "damp" and somewhat soggy. I have enough issues with almond flour getting a real texture to it that adding the heavy cheese seemed self defeating. But after all these glowing reviews I may have to give it a try again. I too have found my more successful recipes have some additional flax seed meal which seems to help it have a "texture" that resembles muffins or breads to me.

I added bran instead of all almonds, it is cheaper & I actually like the taste better. When you cook it, do the "knife test" before yo take it out of the oven, if you insert a knife in it & it comes out without any streaks it is done,Sometimes I keep mine in the oven a few minutes longer, till I get a clean knife.

Seagal

Bran is a good idea, wouldn't work for me, but I may add flaxmeal next time. I still have to try the green chile, cheese, black olive version!

Thanks for bumping up Moonpie, I haven't made this in a long time!

Moonpie

too good not to be bumped. I plan on making a sweet version of this for my Bday cake next month.

diaboki

Well, I finally got around to making this! I thought it was pretty great. I did use regular cream cheese (I don't do low fat anything), and I added a packet of Truvia to the mix too. My pan is too big (5.5 x 9.5) so it's an odd shape. I want to get a smaller pan (or maybe the long thin one), but will probably make in my muffin top pan next time. One hour seemed to be a long time for this to cook, though. I think I'm going to start checking it at 45 minutes next time.

But I really appreciate the recipe. This bread is awesome!

Shebalib

I make the muffins all the time now and add blueberries. Even used fresh cherries this summer! So good. They don't last long enough to freeze! Will usually have one for breakfast.

Need to do the bread next.

Moonpie

I just made two loaves of this for Christmas, I made one savory ( added garlic & olives & pepper to it, & topped with cheese. The sweet one I added some cranberries soaked in Toriani sf cherry syrup, added some unsweetened coconut flakes, a few chopped nuts & some chopped orange peel. Oh & bit of whiskey to the sweet one, for the festive tate :) I hope they turn out well.

Moonpie

they both turned out well, & we actually liked the olive loaf better than the sweet one. The parm cheese on top really made it tasty too.

Shebalib

I made the almond bread finally. Followed my recipe to the letter. Used an average bread loaf pan. It tastes good but is only about 2 inches tall at the deepest point. How do you get it to rise to bread size?

Shebalib

Okay, had two slices (remember they are only about 1.5 inches tall) with natural peanut butter and a drizzle of honey. Although I'm not hungry right now it wasn't very satisfying or as delicious as I had hoped. I need to get this to rise higher so it won't be so dense. And not use coconut oil. Very strong flavor for me. I'll use butter instead. Sadly, they were out of almond meal at the store yesterday.

Any suggestions?

Moonpie

I cook mine in a mini loaf pan, or a muffin top tray. I like the muffin tops, as I can make a sandwich with them, I also use baking powder, not soda.

jwags

When I made mine last year it was only about 3.5 inches high. But I made it with Almond Meal. I just ordered some Blanched almond flour from Honeyville Grain. I think I may try it again. The pictures on Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen looked like real bread.

Shebalib

Ya know, I thought the soda was weird. But I checked it out online in two places(!) to make sure it said soda. Yep. I'll have to try it with powder. I thought maybe that was why it didn't rise. At least it didn't taste funny from the baking soda.

Maybe I could use it for bread crumbs or croutons.

Moonpie

it sounds as if you don't really care for the bread, so making it into bigger slices, won't help with the taste. The ingredients are kinda pricey if you won't enjoy it. IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.