Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lvnlife123

New guy on board

lvnlife123

Hi all

I've been living with type II (offically) since Oct 14 2010. It's been a wild ride thus far. My initial reaction was holy ****, what am I going to eat now! And what about beer!.... Anyway I hit the books hard and found that raw eating was a good fit for my lifestyle. Little bit about me, I'm a 39 year old, very ambious computer guy by day and landlord of 7 units, and now a father of 2 boys with a very good wife. I was diag just about 3 weeks after my 2nd son's birth and the prosect of loosing vision, or a limb or a digit really doesn't excite me. Vision being the big one as my wife is blind and this would really complicate our lives.... Anyway Oct 14th is the official day I started tracking my BG several times a day. My initial numbers from the Dr were:

FBG 230

A1c 11.4

weight 210

and I have hypertention and was on 2 BP pills.

Since my initial diag like I mentioned hit the books and changed my diet to a more raw approach, yes that meant salads, raw veggies, fruits (not at first) and nuts. I've voluntary given up red meat, and all breakfast meats (my downfall I suspect). It took me a couple weeks to get my BG down using the metformin 750 mg once per day and insulin (slow release) starting at 10 units and was increased to 16 units (for a couple weeks) and now I'm down to 4 units and called #'s into Dr today and hope he will tell me to stop using. My A1c # is down to 7.1 and I'm pretty pumped at looking at this number at the 3rd month out with this sickness. I've also been able to stop 1 of the 2 BP pills and I consider that a huge milestone as I'd been on them for 5 years plus (excerise didn't seem to help)....

Anyway made it through Thanksgiving without even breaking 100 on BG and the only thing I didn't eat this year was pecan pie, but did have a nice piece of pumpkin (my favorite anyway). I have found that carbs are not my friend and made a couple mistakes in the last couple months, particular with wraps (thinking they were low carb) lesson learned though and I've since found low carb wraps that I think taste better.

Well thanks for taking the time to listen (read) my story. I'm sure I'll have questions and will refer to this board as a reference also.

princesslinda

Welcome to the forums! :wavey: There's lots of good information and friendly folks here.

I encourage you to test your blood sugars often. Testing before you eat, then 2 hrs after your first bite will show you how different foods affect your blood sugar and help you make the smartest food choices. Your goal is 140 or less at the 2 hr reading. Carbs can be problematic, and we're all different in our tolerances, that's why testing is so important to find what works best for you.

The low carb wraps are great, I even fry them to make lower carb tortilla chips.

Congrats on your improved A1C. An A1C of 7% is equal to a 90-day average blood sugar of 154.

lvnlife123
Hi all

I've been living with type II (offically) since Oct 14 2010. It's been a wild ride thus far. My initial reaction was holy ****, what am I going to eat now! And what about beer!.... Anyway I hit the books hard and found that raw eating was a good fit for my lifestyle. Little bit about me, I'm a 39 year old, very ambious computer guy by day and landlord of 7 units, and now a father of 2 boys with a very good wife. I was diag just about 3 weeks after my 2nd son's birth and the prosect of loosing vision, or a limb or a digit really doesn't excite me. Vision being the big one as my wife is blind and this would really complicate our lives.... Anyway Oct 14th is the official day I started tracking my BG several times a day. My initial numbers from the Dr were:

FBG 230

A1c 11.4

weight 210

and I have hypertention and was on 2 BP pills.

Since my initial diag like I mentioned hit the books and changed my diet to a more raw approach, yes that meant salads, raw veggies, fruits (not at first) and nuts. I've voluntary given up red meat, and all breakfast meats (my downfall I suspect). It took me a couple weeks to get my BG down using the metformin 750 mg once per day and insulin (slow release) starting at 10 units and was increased to 16 units (for a couple weeks) and now I'm down to 4 units and called #'s into Dr today and hope he will tell me to stop using. My A1c # is down to 7.1 and I'm pretty pumped at looking at this number at the 3rd month out with this sickness. I've also been able to stop 1 of the 2 BP pills and I consider that a huge milestone as I'd been on them for 5 years plus (excerise didn't seem to help)....

Anyway made it through Thanksgiving without even breaking 100 on BG and the only thing I didn't eat this year was pecan pie, but did have a nice piece of pumpkin (my favorite anyway). I have found that carbs are not my friend and made a couple mistakes in the last couple months, particular with wraps (thinking they were low carb) lesson learned though and I've since found low carb wraps that I think taste better.

Well thanks for taking the time to listen (read) my story. I'm sure I'll have questions and will refer to this board as a reference also.

Well GREAT news from the Dr this morning, yesterday I had my 3rd blood draw for A1c number and it came back at 5.6! I am stoked. Still on 1 dose of Metformin 750mg with diner, and one blood pressure med, but my weight is hanging at 203/206 and my diet is about the same, raw fruits and veggies, and veggie burgers and meat (fish or chicken) once a week. Couple books I've read since being diagnosed have been "Raw Eating" another Vegan eating book and I'm 1/2 way though "The China Study" great book and really eye opening IMO. Have a great day everyone....

samorgan
Well GREAT news from the Dr this morning, yesterday I had my 3rd blood draw for A1c number and it came back at 5.6! I am stoked. Still on 1 dose of Metformin 750mg with diner, and one blood pressure med, but my weight is hanging at 203/206 and my diet is about the same, raw fruits and veggies, and veggie burgers and meat (fish or chicken) once a week. Couple books I've read since being diagnosed have been "Raw Eating" another Vegan eating book and I'm 1/2 way though "The China Study" great book and really eye opening IMO. Have a great day everyone....

If you really want your eyes "opened", be sure to read Denise Minger's analyses of the China Study along with it. There is a LOT of junk science in that book which simple statistical analysis exposes easily. Finding it by searching her name should be really easy, but here's one to get you started:

China Study Debunked

Tribbles
If you really want your eyes "opened", be sure to read Denise Minger's analyses of the China Study along with it. There is a LOT of junk science in that book which simple statistical analysis exposes easily. Finding it by searching her name should be really easy, but here's one to get you started:

China Study Debunked

Now that article is amazing. Together with it's follow-up that is one of the best rebuttals I have seen in years, I hope I never upset her!

samorgan
Now that article is amazing. Together with it's follow-up that is one of the best rebuttals I have seen in years, I hope I never upset her!

Denise is truly amazing. But what is even more amazing - shocking really - is that things can make it into mainstream acceptance which are so easily torn to pieces with basic statistical analysis.

LynnD

And sadly in this age of instant information all too often only half the information is correctly quoted and passed along...and that is probably being generous.

lvnlife123

I just want to make a point here. I can appreciate the posts from others blowing holes through the numbers in the China Study. IMO I really don't care the basis of me posting what I've read is to reiterate the underling facts of a plant/raw & whole grain based diet can do to help us with this disease and in hopes that we diabetics can help our non-diabetics friends and family to "see" the light. I did the SAD Standard American Diet for 39 years and look where it's got me. Taking drugs for diabetics and blood pressure. I’m no genius and I didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night, but I ate what the “system” told me to eat for 39 years, and I don’t want my kids to end up in the same boat. Now I'll prolly still end up with some sort of other health issue from eating too many pesticides but I'd rather feel good about my weight and managing my type II with diet versus paying for more drugs that treat the symptoms. Just my thoughts, make it a great day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.