Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slipperyelm

Adventures in Weird Eating: Broccoli Sandwich

slipperyelm

Don't know how it occurred to me, but for lunch I toasted low carb bread (5 grams) spread it with mayo and applied freshly cooked hot broccoli. The final element was a sprinkle of lime juice.

I liked it...but would never offer it to a guest.

I will, however, pitch it here! :D

princesslinda

You lost me with the word "broccoli." ;) Still, that's one of the more "creative" sandwich ideas i've heard. I would think cheese in some form or the other would be the missing link here.

liz32

I do the same with raw alfalfa... it's sooooo yummy! but folks usually turn their nose up.... I love broccoli: i will try your sandwich idea; thanks

Mussakka

I make a vegetarian quiche that includes finely chopped broccoli, onion, garlic, thyme, and taragon all sauteed until the broccoli is soft. Then the whole thing is whizzed in the food processor along with extra firm tofu, a scoop of Dijon mustard, and very finely chopped walnuts or cashews. It's super tasty and I've often thought it would make a fabulous sandwich spread. I did make quesadillas with some of the leftover filling once and really liked them. The quiche is a pretty standard breakfast for me now.

Cheese, bacon, or crumbled sausage would be good add-ins for those who eat them.

Actually, I think the same broccoli mixture could be mixed with cream cheese and mayo instead of tofu and make a very nice spread, too. Minced olives wouldn't be amiss either.

slipperyelm

In the wide world over there are those who eat broccoli and those who do not.:D I have loved it since I was a child. In my childhood home we often ate broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables with vinegar. That is part of why I thought I would like it with lime juice.

But I was also copying the avocado on toast sandwiches I eat. I put lime juice on those too.

Flowerbabe68, the bread is Healthy Life brand high fiber, whole wheat. It is by no means a good bread (in my opinion) but I have learned to be happy with it. The five grams of carbohydrate is 8 grams total-3 grams fiber= 5 effective grams carbohydrate. It is in all the supermarkets here, in the regular bakery section. Do you have the Save-A-Lot chain there? I usually get it there for less than it costs on sale at other stores.

notme

I love broccoli, but not in a sandwich. Just to "soggy" sounding for me. I found low carb bread. They actually call it low calorie. It is Sarah Lee, but it only has 7 or 8 carbs per piece. Not wonderful, but it does toast nice and works well holding meat and cheese in a sandwich.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.