Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evermont

Sustainability of low(er) carb eating

Evermont

It seems to me that, because we get a lifetime subscription to diabetes - changes in diet meant to address it work best when they are sustainable.

What have been your experiences with sustainability of eating less carbs? What works for you?

Gladtobehere

Eating less than 100 carbs/day is quite sustainable for me and many others. On the other hand I know people who can't cope with less than 3-400 per day.

It will depend on the individual. Do you..... "live to eat?" or... "eat to live?" Can you go to a buffet place and have "one, more or less regular meal?" Or do you have a "roast beef dinner, and a chicken dinner, followed by a pasta dinner?"

I am the one meal guy (always have been) and my buddy is the three meal guy.

princesslinda

In the little over 4 years since my diagnosis, i've went from "uber-low-carb" (30 or less/day) to my current 75-100 carbs/day. This is sustainable for me, though I admit I still miss some of the foods I used to enjoy in my pre-D days.

foxl

I am most comfortable in a pretty narrow range -- about 40 - 60 g carb per day. I went lower, around 30, but Atkins flu was HORRIBLE for me, and I dread going thru it again (which I might, in order to drop weight) ... this range of 40 - 60 feels "natural" to me, as if I could sustain it indefinitely, granted I have only been doing this a bit over 20 months.

Richard157

That is such a remarkable record Lloyd! You are a shining star!! :)

I gained too much weight in the 1990s and was diagnosed with insulin resistance. I am type 1, so that makes me a double diabetic. I have taken a type 2 med for 11 years.

To lose weight I had to reduce my carb intake to 130g per day. I adjusted to that very well, but the weight loss was too slow. I gradually worked my way down to 100g per day, but I lost so much energy and could not adjust. Doing my one hour walks on the local roads with hills was too much for me. (I was 69 then.) I was exhausted after 30 minutes. I lost 34 pounds and returned to 130g. I am currently 11 pounds overweight, but I am OK with that. I am now eating 150g of carbs per day and not gaining weight.

jwags

For the past 4 years I have done differnt versions of low carb. I started out on 75 carbs most days, then went to 50 and then to 30. I did 30 for about a year and got my weight down to 112 and fastings in the 80's. I have since raised my carbs to between 50-60 most days. If I wake up with a higher bg around 100 I will do a very low carb day. I think the trick to low carb is to experiment in the kitchen with good food. I eat a whole variety of food and even include Eziekel bread at least once a day. I think I can keep this up the rest of my life.

Caravaggio

I don't exactly know how much carbs I eat daily, but I am on a lower-carb or low-carb diet. I did try to count carbs before, but it drove me nuts and took away the pleasure of eating. So, instead of counting the carbs, I focus on the type of carbs and food I eat and how they affect my blood glucose. I eat less and less processed food and refined carbs, eat mostly whole/real food and learned how to cook. This give me flexibility and makes it a lot easier for me to not only decide what to eat but to enjoy my food.

shyam

Since we eat very limited packaged food, it is not very easy to count the nutrients to the exact value. However, relying on internet data of the vegetables & meats that I eat, I think I am within the 50 - 70 gms a day. Fortunately, I get to eat (and drink) the stuff that I like so there is no problem with the cravings bit, except a little bit of sweets, which I do indulge in from time to time.

VeeJay

I'm on very low carb. Less than 30, and probably less than 20, net grams a day. After weighing and calculating carbs for several months and discovering what foods I can safely eat, I don't count carbs too much now. If I eat something that I suspect is too carby, I'll test to see what effect it has, and then if necessary, not repeat that food or eat less of it next time.

I've only been doing this since May this year. So far it's working and I'm satisfied most of the time. I have four years experience avoiding gluten and other foods I'm allergic to, so I expect I'll be able to keep to this restriction also. Time will tell.

Unlimited coconut oil chocolate bark is a bit help in sustaining this diet for me, along with other low-carb, sugar-free desserts (that I make myself). It's the desserts that derail me every time. These satisfy and keep me on track.

Rekarb

I don't think much about sustainability. This is simply the way I eat. There is a class of foods that I regular shop for. I tend to mix and match depending on availability. My diet is pretty set and I don't change it much nor do I wish to. The good part is that I enjoy it. Though I loved eating all kinds of wonderful food, there was always this part of me that was utilitarian. I was brought up to never think while you eat. Get your stomach full and get on to whatever you were doing. It helps that my mom was a terrible cook. The best food I ever had on a regular basis was when I first went off to college and ate cafeteria foods. They loved me at food service because I would come back, grinning, asking for seconds and thirds.

notme
I don't exactly know how much carbs I eat daily, but I am on a lower-carb or low-carb diet. I did try to count carbs before, but it drove me nuts and took away the pleasure of eating. So, instead of counting the carbs, I focus on the type of carbs and food I eat and how they affect my blood glucose. I eat less and less processed food and refined carbs, eat mostly whole/real food and learned how to cook. This give me flexibility and makes it a lot easier for me to not only decide what to eat but to enjoy my food.

You and I read the same book, Caravaggio. I probably eat between 80-90 carbs per day, but that is a guess as I don't eat many packaged foods. I eat the foods that have the least amount of impact on my blood glucose. I also try to eat mostly whole/real foods and I also cook my meals rather than open packages. I prefer to eat foods that I have prepared and over time I have discovered what I need to bolus to cover that food. It is very much trial and error for me. I use Calorie King or other sites that help me make a good guess on how many carbs are in what I have prepared. I use that number as a starting point when figuring out how many carbs I am eating and how much I have to bolus for that meal. Much more enjoyable style of eating for me.

Moonpie

I don't really count carbs every day, I plugged in what I was eating to one of those internet sites, that give you carb counts, & found I was between 50 & 100 most days, my diet is still about the same, so as long as my bgs are stable, I just eat lost of home cooked foods, but no rice, breads & an occasional pasta treat( DF once every few months) potato once every few months on special occasions etc, so most of what we eat is proteins & veg, & home made flax breads. It is working so far, & I enjoy it, I feel so much better too. I think I can stick with it for a long time.

jwags

I think the reason I stick with low carb is because my bgs are fairly consistent on it. Times when I go off low carb, my bgs are all over the place. I do have to think more about food and make sure I have certain ingredients at home to cook with, mostly fresh veggies, free range beef and chicken, wild fish and lots of cheese, butter and organic heavy cream. When I go out to eat or holiday parties I do my best but always end up cheating somewhat so the next few days bgs are always higher.

Seagal

I find 15-25 carbs a day is totally sustainable...I've been doing it since 2005 and can't imagine (well, yes, I can imagine)any other way of life.

Scrabblechick

I average 100-125 carbs per day, when I'm behaving myself. :) I need to update my signature, but my last A1c was 5.2, my FBG was 89 and all my bloodwork is, as my endo put it, "Dead, stinking normal." Heh. The microprotein in my blood is way down, which is good, my kidneys are in good shape, liver working just fine, cholesterol in good ranges. I never could do the ultra low-carb. It drove me crazy, and I wanted to binge and have a big carb party, so I looked to see what I could do. It's all in mindful eating, IMHO. I try to pick my food battles wisely. If I want it, I eat it: in very small portions. About the only thing I stay strictly, totally away from is regular soda. I'm a little OCD and if I tell myself I can never, ever have it again, it's all I think about. LOL.

I'm a compulsive label reader, and do eat more processed foods than I should, although not nearly as many as I used to. But again, I know where my boundaries are. If I'm running a tad high, or gain a pound, I will eat fewer carbs and lower my portion sizes, and do an extra several minutes on the treadmill.

So here I am, DX three years in February. There have been ups and downs, good days, bad days and awful days, but I'm doing it. My endo says it's a marathon, not a sprint, and how right he was!

Seagal

Scrabblechick, congratulations on that new a1c! It appears you have found your path in this diabetes world, that is the major battle

Belfrybat

I aim for 75 grams of carb a day -- what I consider moderate carb -- which if you subscribe to "net carbs" ends up being around 50-55. This tends to keep me stable with only 10u Lantus and an occasional injection of R insulin if I'm going to indulge in a meal that has over 25 grams carb. I attempted lower carb several times, but doing so always causes my tachycardia to act up more, so have settled for higher carb and taking insulin to keep bgs. even.

stardustshadow

I was diagnosed at the end of May and, thanks to this forum, discovered low carb.

I have been eating 20 grams of carbs or less per day since July 5th (although I have had a few days on vacation or over christmas where I exceeded this by a SMALL margin! I'd have half a hamburger bun or some sauce on my meat for christmas, so even though I went over the 20 grams, it was very rare that I went over, say, 50).

I found it difficult at first, mostly because of the psychological ramifications of my diagnosis coupled with having to give up a LOT of foods.

However, now that I have done this for six months, I find it sustainable. I am finding great recipes for 'replacement' foods for the things I've lost (like Faux mashed potatoes,bread made with almond flour, 'candied' walnuts, etc). I can honestly say that my body and mind feel BETTER eating this way than I have since...well, I don't know when. I have way more energy. No more heartburn. I have lost 47 pounds so far...

And to top it all off, my last A1c was 5%

I am not going to go back! None of my numbers, either 2hr pp, fasting etc are anything other than within the LOW end of normal, non-diabetic range! I could not be more thrilled. I am going to keep eating this way and save the beta cells I have left;)

Plus, I want to lose some more weight. Right now, I am 10 pounds lighter than my lowest weight as a 14 or 15 year old! That does not mean 'thin' but it is a heck of a lot better than I've been in a long time. I'd like to get down to a weight within the healthy range for my height. I am also wearing the smallest size (size 12 jeans/pants, womens size L tops) that I have ever worn. This, while sounding shallow, is amazing and really is a good side effect of this way of eating.

I can't wait to see where this is going to take me. I have told my diabetic mom all about low carb, and I share the information with anyone who wants to lose weight or live healthier. I really think it is a fabulous way to live. Once you get beyond missing the foods that, in my opinion, were poison, it is amazing what this way of eating can do for you!

But yeah, thats just my strong opinion:)

jwags

When I made the decision to eliminate processed food, it was real eay to montior carbs. If it is sold in a box or bag, except for veggies and nuts I don't buy it. Most of the carbs in our diets come from processed flour, boxed cereals, crackers, junk food chips. I find even if I eat a small potato or sweet potato my bgs behave. I can even eat Eziekel bread because it is made from sprouts not flour. 2 hours after a grilled cheese today I was 107 using sprouted bread. I think the trick is to incorperate some healthy carbs into your diet that let's you enjoy the food. Remember this is a diet for life.

pkdarlin

When you eat low carb (60-100 carbs a day) are you suppose to watch how much fat you take in and do you still count your calories? Just wondering. I would like to do low carb but not sure how to get started. I want to do it right.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.