Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAutry

Welcome New Folks!

TAutry

Hi All,

It is great to see so many new members joining the forums lately. In the interest of not missing anyone, I want to offer a semi-formal welcome to all of our newer members. I am sure you will all be made welcome and contribute a great deal to the discussions. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

On behalf of Tony and Harold, I invite you to contact either of us should you require assistance.

Travis Autry

Draconian Super Moderator

Simons

Hi- I am relative new to this site. It seems like a really good site with lots of good info and friends.

I am probably the oldest D on this site. I was diagnosed in 1943, 62 years ago. Obviously I am type 1 and insul9n dependent all these years. Over the years I have been on most types of insulin. I am now on Novolog, sliding scale and Lantus in the evening. I check my bs at least six times a day.

I still live on my own and am owned by two cats.

Simons :):)

Dode

Hello Simon, I see that you are on a sliding scale with Novolog and I was wondering if you would be so kind as to tell me what the scale you are on is. I am going back to my endo soon and I think that he might put me on something like that and I would like to have as much information in my head as I can. Does it work really well? Do you have to watch closely what you eat with the scale? Do you take you insulin before or after you eat. Thank you for sharing. If you don't want to answer these questions I'll understand. Or if you would rather You could pm me. :shakehand

KickStart101
Hi- I am relative new to this site. It seems like a really good site with lots of good info and friends.

I am probably the oldest D on this site. I was diagnosed in 1943, 62 years ago. Obviously I am type 1 and insul9n dependent all these years. Over the years I have been on most types of insulin. I am now on Novolog, sliding scale and Lantus in the evening. I check my bs at least six times a day.

Hi Simons: A Huge Welcome to you. :) I hope you enjoy Tony's Great Forum as much as we do. I must say, you are amazing. :) Wow, you were dxd, what.....21 yrs. after Insulin was discovered. Do you remember what was the first Type of Insulin you were on? Were you the only Type 1 in your

Family? If you live in the States, did you receive the award for having

Diabetes for 50 years? You mentioned complications. Would you mind

telling us which ones? What do you think about Lantus Insulin? What

Insulins were you on prior to your new ones? I'm sorry about all the questions, I'm just very interested. If you don't feel like answering them,

that's okay too. Nice to meet you, take care and post when you feel like it. :)

Penny

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but not to diabetes. I am 58, was diagnosed with type 2 about 15 years ago. I kept it mostly under control with diet and walking until about 7 years ago, when I had a heart attack. Since then, I have had another heart attack and cancer. I was on Metformin 3 times a day, plus glyburide 2 tablets, twice a day, about 6 months ago, I started Lantus before bedtime, I'm up to 70 units. About a month ago, I started also using the pen before supper. I still take all the pills. Yesterday I had a problem, and my doctor did not get back with me, so I still have no answers. I took a reading at 7am, it was 126..low for me. I ate 1/2 a bagel, with fatfree cream cheese and a small piece of cantaloupe, this is all within the diet I use. Almost immediately, I started feeling very light headed, with a very bad headache (again rare for me). I ignored it, but before lunch checked my BS. I couldn't believe it was 408...I have never had one over 300. I did not eat, waited almost 2 hours and it was still 366. By 5pm, I was very hungry, still waiting for my doctor to call, so I decided to check it again, and give myself a shot, eat a small amount. The reading was 136. Since then, I have had readings of 125, 136, 155, (two hours after a meal), again 126 this morning, 136 an hour ago. These readings are all low for me. What's going on with this, what caused the high readings? What do I do if I have more? I won't hear from my doctor before Monday. By the way, I still have the light headed feeling today.

Penny

am1977

~Penny~

I don't know if I have welcomed you to the forums or not (starting to lose track with all these new members :embarasse ), but if not, WELCOME! :shakehands I hope you will become a frequent visitor here, because I think this place has a lot to offer in regard to support and information...at least, that is what I have found. :top:

Wow, it sounds like your blood sugar is quite unpredictable :eek: ... but being diabetic, I don't think that is so uncommon. I am a Type 1 myself and I certainly do have days like the one you described. I wish I could tell you exactly what is going on and how to fix it, but truthfully, I don't think anyone can really pinpoint these things, not even MDs. :thumpdown What I would do is really take note of what you eat, your blood sugar readings and the exact time you take them and try to see if you can identify any patterns. Then I would contact your doctor and see what he or she recommends :idea:.

I know it can be frustrating, but we've all been there so we do understand.

Hang in there! :wink:

Andrea :nerd: Type 1, MM 511

Dewey

Just wanted to say Hello to all newcomers to! We have quite the family here, and it's always growing! Feel free to join in on the fun, learning, sharing and caring that can be found here. This place is :top:! :thumbsup:

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but not to diabetes. I am 58, was diagnosed with type 2 about 15 years ago. I kept it mostly under control with diet and walking until about 7 years ago, when I had a heart attack. Since then, I have had another heart attack and cancer. I was on Metformin 3 times a day, plus glyburide 2 tablets, twice a day, about 6 months ago, I started Lantus before bedtime, I'm up to 70 units. About a month ago, I started also using the pen before supper. I still take all the pills. Yesterday I had a problem, and my doctor did not get back with me, so I still have no answers. I took a reading at 7am, it was 126..low for me. I ate 1/2 a bagel, with fatfree cream cheese and a small piece of cantaloupe, this is all within the diet I use. Almost immediately, I started feeling very light headed, with a very bad headache (again rare for me). I ignored it, but before lunch checked my BS. I couldn't believe it was 408...I have never had one over 300. I did not eat, waited almost 2 hours and it was still 366. By 5pm, I was very hungry, still waiting for my doctor to call, so I decided to check it again, and give myself a shot, eat a small amount. The reading was 136. Since then, I have had readings of 125, 136, 155, (two hours after a meal), again 126 this morning, 136 an hour ago. These readings are all low for me. What's going on with this, what caused the high readings? What do I do if I have more? I won't hear from my doctor before Monday. By the way, I still have the light headed feeling today.

Penny

Hi Penny,

I'm not sure why this may have caused such a severe fluctuation, if you've eaten it without problems before. However, if you're receiving (or have received) treatments for cancer, they sometimes will give Prednisone/Dexamethasone (steroids) to prevent nausea, reduce tumor size and induce appetite. While this may help in those areas, it can cause severe elevations in sugar levels, much like you described (just wanted to share a bit of background info. on that). Apologies if you're not receiving those meds, just wanted to share (in case you were or are). Please keep us posted, and welcome to the family! :shakehand

Penny

I have not quite figured out the right way to post on this forum, so will respond to both posts. I take up to 17 pills a day, but my cancer (bladder) is in remission. I take 2 Coreg for my heart, 2 Altace for blood pressure, zocor, 2 water pills and 2 potassium and a vitimin with iron (because I am anemic), aspirin and the dibetic medicines, but have been taking all this for a long time. The breakfast I had yesterday had a total of less than 40 grams of carbs, a bit more than I usually have, but I had such a low fasting reading, I thought I could handle it. What confuses me is that, most days I am happy to have a fasting reading of 150, it is generally much higher. My pre-supper readings are almost always 200 or more. I just had 119, 2 hours after supper. I generally only test twice a day, but yesterday scared me a bit.

Thanks Andrea and Crawley for responding, it is nice to have someone to talk to about this.

Penny

rzrbks

Welcome Simons.

It is at this point I shan't refrain from saying

Simons ez, "Here."

sjm1027

Hi,

I'm Steve, 50 and just found out I have a high blood sugar count. I am monitoring my blood starting as of last evening and my doctor told me if I don't get my level to normal he will have to put me on pills. I am over weight, never really did much exercise and am very worried at this point. I joined to learn what I need to do to get my level's to normal without medication.

I know I need to lose weight and exercise but I need to learn about balancing my carbs, proteins and stop my foolish eating habits that spike my levels.

I am asking for some help... I will do a lot of reading but most of all I want to exercise and start my weight loss. Does anyone know of some good web pages?

I hope to make some good friends here.

Thanks for listening,

Steve

TAutry

Hello Steve,

Welcome Aboard! While you haven't been officially diagnosed, I believe you will find some information here that is useful. Perhaps you may find enough and be fortunate enough not to be diagnosed with diabetes.

One thing is for certain: You are welcome here, diabetic or not, and you will find a ton of encouragement.

TA

sydneya

:five: Hi Steven, You're very welcome to the forum!! It is a good place to get info. I was diagnosed with type II at 40 and was scared to death. You are starting right though. Losing weight and starting exercise is the best things you can do. Carb counting helps me more than anything to lose weight. When I was first diagnosed we went with points and was told keep away from sugar and fats. They have changed their way of thinking in the past twenty years. Now we realize that even a potatoe can change to sugar. If you just have to have that tiny square of chocolate, you just have to cut some other carb out for the day. When I started with carbs I was told 45 for each meal and 15 for snacks (2 a day). You'll want to get a more specific amount for yourself through a dietician. Since I'm female I probably don't get as many as you can have. For now I'd just be careful of the amount of carbs. You'd be surpised how many might be in some unsuspecting foods but you'll find the amounts on the packages.

I don't have any web sites I can pass on. I'm sure if you google "carb counting" or "weight loss" you'll get a bunch up. American Diabetic Association has a ton of info out too.

Good luck. If you feel inclined, please share informative info with us. :listen: And ask questions. There are very knowledgeable people here.

Belinda

Welcome to all the new members. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner but I think Volunteering at the hospital and work has taken up much of my free computer time. Anyways.....WELCOME to a great great place for support and information.

Joanhayes

Thank you Belinda and all, for your welcome. It is good to find such a compatible group. By the way, I loved your quote. Where did it come from? Joanhayes

CMesser

Hi Mr Simons, You have already encouraged countless people with your longivity. You have undoubtedly taken great care of yourself. That's very encouraging. I will be 60 yrs young next month and have been diagnosed T2 three years now. Keep up the good work and please feel free to share some of your insites and experiences with us. Welcome, great meeting you. clay:driver:

CMesser
Hi,

I'm Steve, 50 and just found out I have a high blood sugar count. I am monitoring my blood starting as of last evening and my doctor told me if I don't get my level to normal he will have to put me on pills. I am over weight, never really did much exercise and am very worried at this point. I joined to learn what I need to do to get my level's to normal without medication.

I know I need to lose weight and exercise but I need to learn about balancing my carbs, proteins and stop my foolish eating habits that spike my levels.

I am asking for some help... I will do a lot of reading but most of all I want to exercise and start my weight loss. Does anyone know of some good web pages?

I hope to make some good friends here.

Thanks for listening,

Steve

Welcome Steve, this forum is a great place to start. Been diognosed T2 (type 2) 3 yrs. On my Drs. advice I went on the Atkins diet to control my carb intake. I not only lost weight but ALL my stats improved as well as my BG stablized. Atkins has a website, also has a good book, "The Diabetes Revolution"

These are not meant to be recomendations but just something that has worked well for myself. It's great that you're getting a head start on this. I wish you well. clay

sjm1027
Welcome Steve, this forum is a great place to start. Been diognosed T2 (type 2) 3 yrs. On my Drs. advice I went on the Atkins diet to control my carb intake. I not only lost weight but ALL my stats improved as well as my BG stablized. Atkins has a website, also has a good book, "The Diabetes Revolution"

These are not meant to be recomendations but just something that has worked well for myself. It's great that you're getting a head start on this. I wish you well. clay

Thanks for the information Clay. I have cut my carbs in half so far, lost approx. 70 pounds and I can see my BG is slowly heading down. I just have to make sure I surround myself with information and keep doing what I am doing... to bad I didn't think of this years ago.

:)

Steve

discordia

New to the thread. Type 1 for five years or so, on the insulin pump. I'm doing ok so far and I hope to make some new friends here. I spend most of my spare time collecting books and buying/selling on ebay. (If only Ebay had health insurance.) Hello from Maine!

Henry

Hi everyone.

I'm 38 and I was diagnosed type 2 three months ago. It has been the scariest three months in my life. Every time I really think about it, I feel overwhelmed and want to just curl up and cry. I feel like my body has betrayed me. I feel my mortality in a way that I can't say I enjoy.

I've been doing more and more reading and am both encouraged and frightened by what I find. I'm happy to join this forum. I have already found some positive things here. And then, I've found some other things (like photos of diabetics with advanced problems with their feet) which scare the bajezzus out of me.

I've been taking Metformin (500MG) twice a day. I've been testing anywhere from 3 to 5 times a day at different times trying to get a handle on what my body is doing. I've lost about 12 lbs so far and have started to walk a little. I had a 180 as my average for the Hemoglobin?? test back in September. My doctor things that if I can get it under 130 I might be able to try and manage it through diet and excercise alone.

There are so many questions/concerns that I have. I will be looking around to see what has been asked/posted already, but I'm sure I will still be asking many questions.

Henry

Harold

Hi Henry and Welcome to the Forums. Sounds like your getting a handle on things and yes it does seem to be overwelming at first. It takes time to discpline yourself as well as a constant learning curve.

Why does it have to be sugar I have to avoid?!?
Take it your referring to Sucrose or table sugar. Avoiding it at least as long as it takes to get your bg's in control and reducing your weight has two reasons. One it has no nutritional value and it causes your bg's to rise uneccessarily high. Avoiding it allows you to eat other foods that will fill you up and avoid that constant hungry feeling.

The reality of Sugars is that we cannot totally avoid them. All carbohydrates are made up of one type of sugar or another. Unfortunately for us we need many of the nutrients and protiens that come only from eating vegatables and fruits.

sjm1027
Hi everyone.

I'm 38 and I was diagnosed type 2 three months ago. It has been the scariest three months in my life. Every time I really think about it, I feel overwhelmed and want to just curl up and cry. I feel like my body has betrayed me. I feel my mortality in a way that I can't say I enjoy.

I've been doing more and more reading and am both encouraged and frightened by what I find. I'm happy to join this forum. I have already found some positive things here. And then, I've found some other things (like photos of diabetics with advanced problems with their feet) which scare the bajezzus out of me.

I've been taking Metformin (500MG) twice a day. I've been testing anywhere from 3 to 5 times a day at different times trying to get a handle on what my body is doing. I've lost about 12 lbs so far and have started to walk a little. I had a 180 as my average for the Hemoglobin?? test back in September. My doctor things that if I can get it under 130 I might be able to try and manage it through diet and excercise alone.

There are so many questions/concerns that I have. I will be looking around to see what has been asked/posted already, but I'm sure I will still be asking many questions.

Henry

Henry, it's always the good stuff... I love carbs but made up my mind I want to stop my rising blood sugar... I am boarderline... So now I take my reading 3 times a day so I can better understand how sugar and my body work together... It's the carbs I miss but I have lost 75 pounds now that I am starting to understand.Good Luck

Steve

Charley

Hi everyone and thanks for the warm welcome! My husband is a type I, going on 10 years. Just looking for a place where I can ask questions freely and get some support.

Any other spouses out there?

vobrien

Just joined the forum today, and I'm so happy I found it. I'm a 31-year-old with T1. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, and I use a combination of Humalog and Lantus. I'm close to getting a pump now, and i hope it makes things a little easier (sounds like it after reading the posts in the pump forum).

Thanks for all the help and support offered here. I look forward to talking to all of you.

SueM

Hello every 1 a quick introduction from me

My Name is Sue I have had diabetes for almost 41 yrs I use bovine insulin and so far have no complications from my diabetes I also have the added bonus of Addison's disease so have to take steroids all the time I test between 6/8 times a day.

I have plenty of exercise due to 6 horses and a dog.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.