Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAutry

Welcome New Folks!

lrfome

:albertein Thanks for the welcome!!;)

Maybe it is a good thing, my daughter will have someone who understands what she is going through. I will always be there, and there is a reason for me to take good care of myself. I want her to know how important good control is.

barhar

I'm a new member. Had a heart attack in Sept.2005. On the way to the hospital ambulance tech asked. Did you know you were diabetic? So that was a real good day. But life is better now. Stent in heart. Walking 3 to 5 miles a day and down from 4 shots of insulin a day to around 2. For me, exercise has been my salvation. And a supportive wife.

Jeannieb43

Hello, I'm Jeannie. Newly diagnosed D2. I'm over 60.

In the 2 weeks since I started checking my BG I've been able to keep it around 135 by diet and exercise--and down to 110 with more exercise. I'm flying by the seat of my pants right now, but I have an appointment with the diabetes education dietician next week. I've just been counting carbs [eating only the complex variety], trying to stay under 40 g./meal on those; and counting fat grams, trying to stay low on those too. And remembering portion control. Without counting calories, I've lost 8 lbs. in that 2 wks. Of course the rest (maybe 25 lb. more) will come off slower.

Tokyo Cate

Welcome Jeannie! It sounds like you are making a healthy start and I hope your appointment next week is even more help. Congrats on getting the hang of carb counting so quickly--I have just started on that recently and am finding it kind of fun--like a puzzle.

The Forums is a fabulous community and I hope you find here the support, information and encouragement that I have.

Take care,

Cate

Stumpkins

HI All,

I am new to this site too -- and am finding myself spending soooo much time learning on here!!!

Hoping to make some new dia-buddies!

32 -- Type1 -- 17 yrs -- New PUmper!

Petruchio

Hi!

Crazy person checking in.

One week ago I was diagnosed as Type 2 with neuropathy. (or whatever it is called) I understand that this is a big deal. Well, so was the heart attack and quad bypass, and the other stuff thrown at me to slow me down. I figure, the best thing I can do is accept it and put it in the most positive light that I can. Then do what I need to do to live.

You see, I choose to live. Not exist, LIVE! Live my life to the fullest each day.

When I got the diagnosis, I went home and was in a funk for about an hour. Then I came to the conclusion that modern medical science has confirmed what I already knew . . . I am an all around sweet guy!

I have a lot to learn. My BG is still out of control. But I have a meter and it tells me how whacked I am. That is good. when I know what is going on, I can do things to improve my numbers.

Anyway, thanks for letting me set of a few firecrackers . . . I think I will enjoy it here.

Dewey

Hi everyone. Sorry if I've been somewhat lax in posting hellos to our new family members, but will try to pick up my pace & get back on track! ;)

Hi!

Crazy person checking in.

One week ago I was diagnosed as Type 2 with neuropathy. (or whatever it is called) I understand that this is a big deal. Well, so was the heart attack and quad bypass, and the other stuff thrown at me to slow me down. I figure, the best thing I can do is accept it and put it in the most positive light that I can. Then do what I need to do to live.

You see, I choose to live. Not exist, LIVE! Live my life to the fullest each day.

When I got the diagnosis, I went home and was in a funk for about an hour. Then I came to the conclusion that modern medical science has confirmed what I already knew . . . I am an all around sweet guy!

I have a lot to learn. My BG is still out of control. But I have a meter and it tells me how whacked I am. That is good. when I know what is going on, I can do things to improve my numbers.

Anyway, thanks for letting me set of a few firecrackers . . . I think I will enjoy it here.

Hi Petruchio! :shakehand

Glad you've found us & glad you're here - Welcome aboard this wild ride! I love your spunk & your love of life! You have a great attitude about things, and that's key in being able to live successfully with Diabetes.

You remind me of Carwy. If he got Diabetes, he'd likely say the same thing (about being an all-around sweet guy)! :thumbsup:

Welcome and here's hoping you will post often.

Carwy

Hi Petruchio! :shakehand

You remind me of Carwy. If he got Diabetes, he'd likely say the same thing (about being an all-around sweet guy)! :thumbsup:

Welcome and here's hoping you will post often.

I'm so sweet if it ever catches up to me it could put me into a coma. That is why I do not drink pop (soda, coke) what ever you call it. I drink water or unsweetened tea with lemon in it to help reduce the effects of all the sugar in my body.:smartass:

Welcome one and all to the forums.:shakehand I hope by you reading this your blood does not go high. :smartass:

Yvonne Burns

Hi Everyone! I am new but after reading your messages, I feel as if I know you. I am on an Animas Insulin Pump and am fairly new and in the process of refining my techniques. So, thanks for all your input on this board.

I am considering cataract surgery. I have a small cataract in my left eye that produces a "haze" in my vision. It feels like looking through a window that can't quite be cleaned enough.

Has anyone had this surgery? The surgery itself is not serious but (of course) for diabetics it can have some side effects. I am gathering info from whatever sources I can.

Thanks so much!

Yvonne

gettingby
I'm so sweet if it ever catches up to me it could put me into a coma. That is why I do not drink pop (soda, coke) what ever you call it. I drink water or unsweetened tea with lemon in it to help reduce the effects of all the sugar in my body.:smartass:

What are you smokin Carwy???????????? :smokin:

Carwy
What are you smokin Carwy???????????? :smokin:

I do not smoke legal or illegal stuff like some people do.

I’m naturally sweet just ask my doctor and :secruity: respect my authorita.:secruity::biggrin::reddy:

Nakki

Hello all! I'm Nancee Mencl, from Indiana. I've been diabetic since April of 1995. I had been taking shots and three different insulins since day one. Since that time, I've averaged A1C's of around 9 solid and since starting on the MiniMed 715 pump last in February, I dropped to a 7.7 with not as much effort as I thought I would need. I lost my mother three years ago to complications of the disease and since then, I've become dead serious on managing my own diabetes to the best of my ability! My endocrinologist is one of the top in the country and I feel fortunate to be his patient.

My hobbies include raising, training and showing horses, writing, reading, karate, ju jitsu, photography, art, and having fun with friends and family. Hope to get know some of you! :date:

valc3
Hello all! I'm Nancee Mencl, from Indiana. I've been diabetic since April of 1995. I had been taking shots and three different insulins since day one. Since that time, I've averaged A1C's of around 9 solid and since starting on the MiniMed 715 pump last in February, I dropped to a 7.7 with not as much effort as I thought I would need. I lost my mother three years ago to complications of the disease and since then, I've become dead serious on managing my own diabetes to the best of my ability! My endocrinologist is one of the top in the country and I feel fortunate to be his patient.

My hobbies include raising, training and showing horses, writing, reading, karate, ju jitsu, photography, art, and having fun with friends and family. Hope to get know some of you! :date:

Hi Nancee and welcome to the forum. This is a great place for information and support. Hope you visit often.

Dewey

Once again, wanted to say welcome to all our new family members! I apologize if I haven't been able to post in new members' introductory threads, but wanted you all to know that we're glad you're here & hope you'll meet many new friends. Feel free to ask questions, and welcome aboard! :flowers:

Belinda

Welcome to all new members...like Dew...sorry if I didn't post in your individual intro....work has been crazy (I do a lot of my stuff while at work teaching...no that is when the kids are quietly doing their seat work which is not often)....WELCOME to the group.:shakehand

technonan@petea

hi to every one out there ,i am a 55year old type 1 diabetic ,have been diabetic for 32 years ,im female married with two grown sons and two grandchildren .i live in the uk ,a place called Chesterfield .this is my first time chatting on this site so please be patient with me!!!!!!

seacomp

Hello and Welcome to the Forum Technonan. I'm glad that you can join us, we value your experience. #2 years and a family raised is a major accomplishment.

I hope we can be of some help, or at least good cheer for you.

Penny
hi to every one out there ,i am a 55year old type 1 diabetic ,have been diabetic for 32 years ,im female married with two grown sons and two grandchildren .i live in the uk ,a place called Chesterfield .this is my first time chatting on this site so please be patient with me!!!!!!

Hello and welcome. Thirty-two years, gives some of us some hope we can deal with this disease. Tell us how you do it.

sydneya

Welcome Nakki and Technanon and anyone else I have missed. We welcome you all. Your wonderful variety of experience and interests add great support to the forum.

I hope that each of you find as much help to you hear as I have. It's a wonderful group of people with lots of support and empathy. Post any questions, answers, comments and even jokes often.

cdngoose

Hello everyone. I jut discovered this forum today. I have been a Type 2 diabetic fo 14 years. I started out on diebeta and metformin, then NPH, 0/90 and Regular insulin. Back in July, I had a TIA where they found I had had several 'silent' TIA's in the past. The docs immediately switched me to Insulin, Lantus 42 u before bed, Novo Rapid 6u before breakfast and lunch and Novo Rapid 12 U before supper. In November I joined a Rehab program where they monitor your blood sugars along with exercise, do several stress tests and provide a ton of education on diabetes. I've read all of the introduction posts and can see this is a very supportive group.

Since switching to Lantus and Novo Rapid I have many low BG readings, between 2.0 and 4.0 mmol/l (36 and 72mg/dl). I think you multiply mmol by 18 to get mg. I'm really working to keep my BS under control. My last A1C was 7.1. . The doc said 7.0 was the norm. I see people here have readings in the 5's and 6's. Maybe the unit of measure is different.

I'm rambling on. I'm looking forward to participating in the group discussions.

seacomp
My last A1C was 7.1. . The doc said 7.0 was the norm. I see people here have readings in the 5's and 6's. Maybe the unit of measure is different.

Hello Goose and welcome, I hope we can help. Sorry to hear about your TIAs, I hope your rehab group can really help.

You don't mention when you are having your lows. I'd guess a few hours after the supper most of the time. With fixed insulin doses that don't vary according to the amount of carbs you are eating nor your current BG reading, frequent lows along with a high average is quite likely.:help:

The A1C reading is the same all over, not like the BG reading. The 7.0 reading

corresponds to an average BG of 172 or 9.5. And that's about equal to 180,

which is the point at which sugar appears in the urine. A long time ago that was all that could be tested for, so below 180 was good, above 180 bad.

That thinking is way out of date. Current thinking indicates that there is damage when BG goes over 140 (7.8). An average BG of 140/7.8 corresponds to a A1C of about 6.0

Sorry for all the detail. I get that way.

Welcome again.

psilocybin
Hey there everyone, just found the site during my daily quest for more information.....looking forward to learning more....

welcome, you will learn tons from the people at this site, they are extremely nice and willing to help in any way possible, this site has been great for me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.