Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAutry

Welcome New Folks!

Lilly164

Hi,

I have recently joined this forum although I have been reading here for a while. I am a Type 1 on Humalog and Lantus. Diabetes first surfaced in my mid-thirties near the end of pregancy. Diabetes went away then came back a few years later. My baby is 35 this year.

I live in Northern California with my husband.

cdngoose
Hi,

I have recently joined this forum although I have been reading here for a while. I am a Type 1 on Humalog and Lantus. Diabetes first surfaced in my mid-thirties near the end of pregancy. Diabetes went away then came back a few years later. My baby is 35 this year.

I live in Northern California with my husband.

Hi Lilly, welcome to the forum

Batman

I was dxd 1/06 with type 2 and started on Fortamet 500mg 1 x day. Just went back to Dr. and she up'd my dose to 1000mg 1 x day.

I have also been diagnosed with Femoral neuropathay which is not fun. Has anyone had any experience with this condition?

I also am researching to get a glucose monitor, has anyone had any experience with the Freestyle Mini?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!:help:

seacomp
I was dxd 1/06 with type 2 and started on Fortamet 500mg 1 x day. Just went back to Dr. and she up'd my dose to 1000mg 1 x day.

I have also been diagnosed with Femoral neuropathay which is not fun. Has anyone had any experience with this condition?

I also am researching to get a glucose monitor, has anyone had any experience with the Freestyle Mini?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!:help:

Hello and welcome to the Forum. We try to help and maybe bring a smile or two :), now and again.

A couple of minor points. Fortamet is a brand name for metformin; 1) most people here are not familar with the Fortamet name but are with metformin, 2) unless there is a specific reason that your doctor has for Fortamet, metformin is generic and thus much cheaper, 3) metformin really should be taken with or just after food.

There is a lot of knowledge here on meters. I am not familar with that one, but I'm sure someone will help you. You should be able to a meter for free or near free, the real cost is in the test strips. So be forewarned.

People here will want to know more about you. What are your BG readings? Your diet and exercise, etc.

All I know about Femorall neuropathy is what a Google search brings up. Apparently, it can be associated with diabetes, but not necessarily. Do you know if yours is? Almost any condition tied to diabetes is improved by bringing the BG under control, so have hope!

Again you are welcome. Please ask away and contribute whatever you may.

seacomp

:thumbsup: But, in User Profile, the forum is asking what you are in relations to diabetes. There are many members who unfortunately are parents of school aged diabetics children, they come here to help their child.

You should also, start a thread in Introductions, just so more people see who you are - not too many come to the end of this long thread.

ispimyltli66

:elefant:

I'm not sure what I'm doing, or if this is going to my intended thread.

I'm not only new to this forum, but also new to this type of communication. I am accustomed to email lists.

Anyway, Iam 39, diagnosed April 15, 1970, pumping with MiniMed since Sept. 26, 1989.

I am happy to have been directed to this site.

I live alone, which makes me nervous at times. I do have quite a few complications.

I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Lisa Ann

Brouts

Hi everyone...I was diagnosed with type 1 about three weeks ago. I look forward to talking to people who truly understand what I am going through

JMax745

Hi, Group. I'm a T2 and otherwise medical disaster. Just looking for help or cheap life insurance.:shakehand Pleased to meet you all.

KickStart101
:elefant:

I'm not sure what I'm doing, or if this is going to my intended thread.

I'm not only new to this forum, but also new to this type of communication. I am accustomed to email lists.

Anyway, Iam 39, diagnosed April 15, 1970, pumping with MiniMed since Sept. 26, 1989.

I am happy to have been directed to this site.

I live alone, which makes me nervous at times. I do have quite a few complications.

I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Lisa Ann

Hi Lisa Ann And Welcome To This Great Forum. It's nice to see

you here. I'm glad that you found us. I hope that you will learn

some useful info here. Don't be afraid to ask anything. Someone

should have the answer for you or may be able to link you to the

requested info. I hope that you are doing good with your pump also. :)

KickStart101
Hi everyone...I was diagnosed with type 1 about three weeks ago. I look forward to talking to people who truly understand what I am going through

HiYa Brouts: Welcome and Good to see ya here. You live in

an IGLOO?? ;) "Very Cool" :cool: So do I!! :D Nice Doggy ya have there. :)

I hope you enjoy your visits here at Tony's :hello:Forums. You

have much to learn but the Basics are the Most important: Exercise,

Balanced Meals, Adequate Dose of Meds For You, Drink Your Water :),

Keep Your Doc's Appointments, Test Often Especially Now Since You

Need To See How Foods, etc. Effect Your Blood Sugars, AND Find

Something To Laugh At...At Least Once A Day. The rest you can absorb

slowly in your own time. Lots of good info here already posted. Feel

free to ask something that you can't find the thread for. Good Luck Eh. :ciao:

Brenda A
Hi All,

It is great to see so many new members joining the forums lately. In the interest of not missing anyone, I want to offer a semi-formal welcome to all of our newer members. I am sure you will all be made welcome and contribute a great deal to the discussions. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

On behalf of Tony and Harold, I invite you to contact either of us should you require assistance.

Travis Autry

Draconian Super Moderator

Hello,

I joined the site a week or so ago. I am 53 , a female and a type 2. I am on Insulin , Humulin R and Symlin . I am still learning to navagate the site.

I was first told I was diabetic at the age of 21. I was able to reverse it and lived 20 wonderful years free of it. It returned and I have went from controling it with diet & exercise to herbs > to pills >to now insulin injections for the past 2 years. I have multiple health issues, MVP, High BP, thyroid failure, Authritis spurs on my spine,corpal tunnel, and some neuropathy. I would have to say that diabetes is the black cloud over my family. My mom had 12 siblings. All but 2 of them developed diabetes and many of each of their children also are diabetic. My grandmother died of an insulin reaction at the age of 52. My mom died of diabetes complications and kidney failure 2 years ago at the age of 69. My son has been diabetic for 1 year now. It has robbed me of my loved ones and I fight it daily.I am looking forward to talking to folks with shared life styles living with this illness.

Brenda

ngueld

Hi everyone. I'm nicole, 21 and type 1. I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old. Ive never really known many other type 1 diabetics so I was hoping to get to know some others!

KickStart101

Hello Nicole From Canucksville: ;) It's Good to meet you. I

didn't know many Type 1's either. I guess we are "precious

and few" :D. You will certainly find many here and lots of

younger ones than I. :musicus: I'm sure that you'll meet

many Friends here. We'd like to hear your experiences and

share info also. Hope you post lots. :hello:

p.s. If you New Folks would like more responses then you'll

have to submit your Introductions in this section but under

the last stuck thread(about 4 threads down from this one).

This thread is Tony's :ciao: Welcome To All New Members

(AND....sssshhhhh....he doesn't talk much....BUT he does

show up once in a while). :D

Thanks.

KickStart101

:rolleyes: As I was saying....this thread is A Welcome to New

Members by Travis(the Draconian Super Moderator :D)but you

already knew that...;)...Good Work Travis...:hello:

ferzan.lermiogl

It is wonderful to know someone doing well with diabetes for a very long time. I would like to know more about your program related to diabetes management.

Regards

Hi- I am relative new to this site. It seems like a really good site with lots of good info and friends.

I am probably the oldest D on this site. I was diagnosed in 1943, 62 years ago. Obviously I am type 1 and insul9n dependent all these years. Over the years I have been on most types of insulin. I am now on Novolog, sliding scale and Lantus in the evening. I check my bs at least six times a day.

I still live on my own and am owned by two cats.

Simons :):)

Type1er

Hi all,

I just found (and joined) the forum this week. I'm so glad to have found you all.

I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 30 years, and just started on a pump 6 weeks ago. So far, so good -- the pump seems to be working well, and it's definitely helping to bring my blood sugars down.

I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here. Thanks for making this community!

KickStart101
Hello,

I joined the site a week or so ago. I am 53 , a female and a type 2. I am on Insulin , Humulin R and Symlin . I am still learning to navagate the site.

I was first told I was diabetic at the age of 21. I was able to reverse it and lived 20 wonderful years free of it. It returned and I have went from controling it with diet & exercise to herbs > to pills >to now insulin injections for the past 2 years. I have multiple health issues, MVP, High BP, thyroid failure, Authritis spurs on my spine,corpal tunnel, and some neuropathy. I would have to say that diabetes is the black cloud over my family. My mom had 12 siblings. All but 2 of them developed diabetes and many of each of their children also are diabetic. My grandmother died of an insulin reaction at the age of 52. My mom died of diabetes complications and kidney failure 2 years ago at the age of 69. My son has been diabetic for 1 year now. It has robbed me of my loved ones and I fight it daily.I am looking forward to talking to folks with shared life styles living with this illness.

Hello Brenda. Welcome Aboard. What an Amazing Job you did in

looking after your Diabetes for that many yrs. A BIG Pat on the back

for you. :thumbsup: :five:

Gee, I have to agree. That is definitely a black cloud. Wow, 10/12

siblings. :afraid: We have some similar: 6/10 Aunts and Uncles on my

Dad's side(Type 2), my 2 Brothers(Young Type 1), my cousin on my

Mom's side(Young Type 1), my 3 -2nd cousins on my Dad's side( Young

Type 1), some of Dad's cousins and second cousins. As far as some of

the Type 1's they could be from the in-law Families sides. The first one

to get it, about 10 yrs. after me, was my 1st Cousin.

Best Wishes to you in your daily care of Diabetes. Hope to see you

posting often. :)

Magpie256

My husband (42) was diagnosed Type 2 in Aug last year - he had been hiding symptoms for months and post diagnoses couldn't drive for 6 weeks, until his eyesight came back to normal. It was only when he realised he couldn't see well enough to drive that he admitted he had a problem.

His behaviour tends to make me a bit protective, hence the internet search. I am hoping to learn lots and get some comfort from you guys - it can be a scary ride, with some mds panicking, and others ignoring us.

Brenda A
My husband (42) was diagnosed Type 2 in Aug last year - he had been hiding symptoms for months and post diagnoses couldn't drive for 6 weeks, until his eyesight came back to normal. It was only when he realised he couldn't see well enough to drive that he admitted he had a problem.

His behaviour tends to make me a bit protective, hence the internet search. I am hoping to learn lots and get some comfort from you guys - it can be a scary ride, with some mds panicking, and others ignoring us.

Hello,

Diabetes and the eyes!!!! My mom was a really good driver. Once we were going to town and she pulled out in front of this car. It honked and slid over in the next lane barely missing us. My mom said "well did you see that idiot"? I was sitting there eyeballs bugged :eek: out breath missing and wondering how in the world did she not see them. I finally got my composure and said Mom you pulled right out in front of him, are you seeing ok? You know we could have been killed. I had been a little concerned about how she was seeing. That did it for me, I drove from then on. Mom had hid from us for some time that her eyes were bad. She waited avoiding treatment. Then tons of treatment and surgery.The short of it was I spent 2 years and 10 months caring for her, as she could not care for herself, she was only 69 when she died. The last 10 months she had light perception in one eye and was totally blind in the other. Eyes are not replaceable, why do we ignore when they are not working well??? Stress to your husband and to all being blind is not the right option, stay on top of those precious eyes and how they are working!!

gree1228

Hello all,

I am a fairly new type 2. I was diagnosed several years ago but never really told what that meant. My blood sugar returned to normal and I didn't do anything. One day my feet fot numb and eventually I went to see why. My doctor eventually tested my bs and it was off the scale. Now I am finding out all I can. I was taking 90 units of Humulin 70/30 twice a day and am now down to 30 units twice a day. My last A1C was less than 5, so I am trying to bring it up some. I have done enough research to know that I want to keep it as low as I can. I just kind of stumbled on this forum and glad I did. I hope to take advantage of the expertise found here. The best to all of you.:hello:

dlh1460

Hi, I am new to this board. I have been type 2 since 2000. Have been pumping since February. I was wondering if there are any groups in the St. Louis area. Would love to talk to others. Deb

nikidee76207

Hi. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 6 weeks ago. I should have known something was going on, but waited waited waited. What got me in to the Dr was horrible pain in my foot that made it so I couldn't sleep.

Ended up that not only were my sugars high, but at age 38, I had a blocked artery in my leg. I got that cleared up, and am working hard to get my sugars and cholesterol down.

I'm on 2x1000 of metformin for the diabetes and a whole host of other stuff. My numbers are down during the day as long as I keep carbs under control. But consistently go up to 170 overnight. I'm anticipating needing another med added.

I'm swimming about 40 minutes a day now at least 5 times a week.. so I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

So glad I found these forums!

KickStart101
Hello from Canada

Hello :hello:Back From Canada, :dancing2: Golanul.

Welcome To The Forums. :D

Linda2

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, been type 1 diabetic for 28 years. I have been blessed--I have some decreased sensation in my feet and mild changes in my eyes. I haven't always taken the greatest care of myself. As we all know, it can be frustrating--what works one day doesn't always work the next!! I had been pumping for about 5 years but recently decided to try Lantus. I was having too many episodes of extremely high blood sugars with the pump. I have been on Lantus and Novolog for about a month and am still not regulated. I saw on several of the postings about Levemir--Does anyone have any information on this--from what I understand its more predictable--maybe it would work better than the Lantus for me. Thanks for any info. Linda

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.