Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luckharm

Have you ever given yourself Humalog instead of Lantus by Mistake?

izzy

After reading, I think I'll go back to 30 units of Lantus-in-a-bottle in the fridge, and Novalog in a pen in my purse.

I only take Lantus 1x at midnight (night owl) and as the Novalog pen has to always be with me in my purse. The last couple of months where I've been taking multiples, using pens for both, It scares me to think how easy it would be to mess up. Living alone, no friends nearby--I try to not take chances.

I've had the Lantus go south on me without refrigeration and had to toss it $$$$$. I notice a little sting injecting cold insulin---is this typical? At least the cold Lantus stays perky.

Bountyman
I've had the Lantus go south on me without refrigeration and had to toss it $$$$$.

If you were using the Solostar pen and 30 units a day...the pen lasted you 10 days. I don't see how a pen that lasts 28 days went south on you in one third the time. If it did...it has nothing to do with temperature. As to you deciding to now use a 100 mL vial (1000 units); at 30 units a day...that's 840 units in 28 days. At 28 days you'll be throwing out 140 units every month $$$$$.

I notice a little sting injecting cold insulin---is this typical?

With Lantus, yes. Lantus has a pH of around 4 to keep it liquid in the vile. When injected into a body that's a pH of 7.4, expect a little sting in non-scared tissue.

ramon

If you are using basal and bolus vials which I sometimes do, I put a rubber band around the basal to remind me or my daughter paints the basal vial with nail polish. I've made the same mistake, never again.

Kenton

Yes cold insulin does sting a bit. But why do that? 30 units a day will use up a pen quickly, you should go through almost 3 pens in 30 days. Did it get hot? I've never had it happen but someone I know did ruin his when he forgot to put it in a cooler and it sat out all day in a van. I found 8mmx31G needles are more comfortable than the 5mm and the 4mm Nano's both of those frequently stung when I was using them.

I keep a rubber band on the Apidra pen to tell it apart. Novolog and Lantis pens look and act differently but the Apidra is the same shape and acts the same as Lantis. Only the color is different so twice I took the wrong type , with the rubber band I've not made that mistake.

Bountyman
I found 8mmx31G needles are more comfortable than the 5mm and the 4mm Nano's both of those frequently stung when I was using them.

Curious; did you pinch the skin and inject the 4mm & 5mm needles at a 45 degree angle when you used them?

chadha

Luckily I never had such incident. But 3-4 times I accidentally took Lantus instead of Regular. Didn't encounter any dangerous problem but I had mistakes to take the different insulin.

Without any doubt, taking Rapid instead of Long-Acting could be very dangerous and severe than vice-versa.

Tanikit

I have been through stages where I have made quite a few errors with doses - when I am tired especially and once when I was on medication that made it hard to concentrate. I have taken short acting for long acting, taken double doses because I thought I had forgotten to take it at all, switched long acting for short acting at times, totally forgotten doses altogether... had some bad highs and lows from all of this. I found the worst errors occurred in my early twenties and again more recently when pregnant and breastfeeding because of the extreme tiredness.

I still wonder if the severe low I had where the ambulance was called (by a perfect stranger - I had been driving, not noticed and stopped at a stop street and never quite started the car again - thank goodness I stopped!) was due to a double dose being given as that was when I was neither pregnant nor breastfeeding so there seems no other explanation for it.

Crackerjack4u

Thank Goodness that has never happened here Yet, but that remains a possibility for sure. I have a Diabetic Husband, and a Diabetic Min Pin Dog that both are on the same schedule for shots, and I have to be extremely careful not to mix up the hubby's Humalog, with the dog's Novolin N.

Thankfully the hubby's other insulin Levemir is in a pen, his Humalog is clear, and my doggy's Novolin N is cloudy so that helps some too. I still make a point of checking, and rechecking several times before giving either of them a shot to try to prevent any mix ups.

ScottJD

I gave myself novolog rapid instead of Lantus once a few years back. I used to carry both, needless to say after that the Lantus stayed in the fridge from that day on. My normal meal with novolog was 5 units. My Lantus was 15 units. So by mistake I did 15u of novo log with out any food. I was standing in the office talking to people an they all started to sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown. Then came the tunnel vision and near blackout. I realized what I did, checked my sugar and was at 18. I think the panic set in and so did the adrenaline allowing me to stay conscious for a little longer as I made my way down a flight of stairs to the break room to feed the vending machine a lot of money for orange juice, apple juice, ho hos.

When I could finally think a little better I did the math, added up the carbs I already drank and ate and realized I had a long way to go. More money to the vending machines for a lot more juice. I don't think I ever had so much juice and junk food before in one sitting. I needed 225 carbs to counter act the amount of novo log I did by mistake. I hope never to do that again.

But I did switch to a pump a few months ago so I'm only on one insulin now.

patricia52

After almost injecting my fast acting instead of Lantus, I decided that it would be better to store the lantus in a different place and develop a different routine for bedtime insulin. So far this has worked. But I am human and I am easily distracted.

Lady Imp

I've done the opposite - I bolused with Lanuts instead of Humalog. Earned myself an overnight stay in the hospital for continuous monitoring because I couldn't keep my blood sugar up. It was fun. Only not.

lark27

My pump broke yesterday, so I did a late night run to the 24 hour drug store. I took the lantus last night while leaving the drug store. I then made the error of putting my lantus vial along with my humalog vial in the glucometer. I've bee using a pump for six years, but when on MDI years ago I used humalog pens and lantus vials so there wasn't really a risk of mixing it up. Tonight I was watching tv with my wife and not concentrating apparently and took 30 units of humalog. Luckily I noticed it right away and immediately set to work eating and drinking. I started with pouches of smoothie mix. These were great because it was the only way I would get them out of my pantry and because each pouch was 78 carbs for only 6 ounces or so. They tasted horrible! Over the first 90 minutes I consumed 350 carbs bg varied from 191 to 171 to 233 with about a dozen other readings thrown in. Now at 2.5 hours I'm at 215 and haven't eaten for an hour which is good because I felt like I was going to burst between 3 smoothie mix pouches, a juice box, fruit snacks and crackers. I thought it important to go with food that was all straight carb so no fat or protein slowed digestion. My wife also had a couple glucagon pens ready to go if necessary. Now I think I'll go ahead and actually take my lantus for real this time and wait up a couple more hours to see where this roller coaster takes me. I'm so frustrated with myself for this stupid mistake but so thankful for catching it straightaway, for my wife's patient assistance and for the knowledge that 911 was an option if necessary. Wow that was more sugar than I've had in months combined probably and I didn't even get to enjoy any of it.

Update the next day: BG kept dropping gradually so I waited up till 2a.m. - 5 hours after the incident occurred just to monitor. Had a bit more carbs and woke up fine this morning at 148.  So happy to have my temporary, loaner pump arrive this morning and I am back to being bionic and off of the MDI. If I ever go back on Lantus, I will make sure to have Lantus pens and vials of humalog or vice versa. 

MOBrad

Im too new to have done this yet, but thank you to all of you who have told your stories!  Lantus will stay on my bedside table for dosing at bedtime and the Novolog will stay OUT of my bedroom, there will be no boluses being given there anyway!  Its great to hear everyones successes but mistakes are also very valuable to us newbies.  Its much better to read and learn than have to learn the hard way.

Stl-T2

I'm a T2, so curious without having a lot to add, but would it make sense to calculate ahead of time how many carbs you'd need in case of such a mix up?  Maybe even tell spouse/trusted coworkers?  Or is this the sort of thing that changes so often that would just get confusing? I don't do calculations well when I'm just tired, let alone if dangerously low.

pat593

Yes, you can calculate ahead of time but you need to know how much you took by mistake, where your bs levels are before injecting and what your carb to insulin ratio is.

For me, I have my ratios written on an index card next to my insulin.  I need about 1 unit of Humalog to cover 5 carbs.  So if I take 10 units, I need to consume about 50 carbs.

Thanks to this thread, I started a habit leaving my Humalog pen in the kitchen and my Lantus by my bedside. 

I did however, once inject my Lantus night time, 18 units, instead of my morning Lantus of 6 units.  So I had a day of stacked basil to contend with. Luckily, it just meant eating 10 or so carbs and testing every hour.

I also asked my family to read Using Insulin to understand more of what I'm doing.  Backfires sometimes though, they like to blame any "crankiness" on my blood sugar levels.

mmdivcre

Hi members! Have anybody  heard or read about treating diabetes   with a molecular therapy that uses targeted peptides and proteins to restore cellular function? I want some of your views about this, If you have time just do a quick Google search of Peptide treatment by Regenerative Cellular Therapy. Your response is greatly appreciated  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.