Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2010 Goal Achieved - Yeah, I'm bragging!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

I started 2010 with a modest goal of riding 100 miles/week. Linda had just recovered from her elbow injury and I wasn't sure how many miles I/we might log. Therefore, a modest goal in lieu of a stretch goal.

Along the way we learned a few things this year. The most important was the place of rest in the whole exercise equation. We have been the kind of people who might go out with the intention of taking a moderate paced ride, only to finish with a full-out hammer-fest. A member of our tandem club advised us to put some rest into our riding. Then I looked at our statistics for the various rides. The first day after a rest day we did great, the second day was even better and the third better than the second. However, the fourth day was worse than the first day and the fifth was even worse and if there was a sixth of seventh day in a row I could see that we were slogging.

Therefore, we changed our pattern to (weather being cooperative) ride Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays; Thursdays was a rest day, and then Friday and Saturday with Sunday's off. Wow! What a change, we had more energy and it was always fun. Of course, this summer the weather cooperated almost every week with the rainy weather usually on our rest days!

Of course, this fall changed things and the rains came and we had to keep adjusting our schedule (we are weather wimps and don't ride in the rain -- nobody pays us to ride anyway).

I'm finishing the year right back when where I began, doing daily stages of the Tour-de-Garage (T-d-G not T-d-F). Today I crossed the 5200 goal with a week to spare.

lorilei

u guys totally rock and totally inspire. congrats! the past few weeks of nj weather have certainly been chilly and should have earned you exta points!

graham44

Yep - I agree with everyone else.... "brag away". 5200 miles in a year is awesome. I really envy you for doing it as a couple...very nice.

(On a side note I woke up this morning and was very disappointed that santa hadnt brought me that new $5000 bike I wanted-guess I better work more over time and see if mrs clause is in a better mood next x-mas. Merry Christmas to everyone of you here at DF, and I hope you all have a happier and healthier new year )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.