Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cookie

What was your last HBA1C?

Middle Aged Man

I just had another one . . . thought it would be really bad as my morning and post-meal glucose levels have been a bit high (pre-main meal has been fine).

It came in at a 6.2.

Wow was I relieved! Now I have to figure out why I expected so much worse.

kctowers

I had one last week (three monthly) which was 7.9. Because the HA1c is retrospective and an average over three months I think this is quite good. Obviously it would be nice to get it down to somewhere in the upper fives or lower sixes, but my nurse was quite pleased with 7.9. Just have to cut out some of the cakes and biscuits over the next three months I suppose.

RBmumsie

Just got my results in the mail - 5.9

I was ready to cheer, but then I noticed that my dr. wants to increase my Metformin?!? (There was a note & prescription in the same envelope). I have an appt. to see her in a few weeks, so I think I'll wait and talk to her then. I think I'm doing really well at the dosage I'm at.

Any feedback?

Harold
Just got my results in the mail - 5.9

I was ready to cheer, but then I noticed that my dr. wants to increase my Metformin?!? (There was a note & prescription in the same envelope). I have an appt. to see her in a few weeks, so I think I'll wait and talk to her then. I think I'm doing really well at the dosage I'm at.

Any feedback?

1. You may be on an introductory dosage and it's time to increse it.
  2. Your A1c increased since your last visit.
  3. You had some weight gain or did not lose enough since your last visit.
  4. Your Lipids increased.
  5. Your Doctor has a standard therapy he uses on all diabetes patients.

RBmumsie
  1. You may be on an introductory dosage and it's time to increse it.
  2. Your A1c increased since your last visit.
  3. You had some weight gain or did not lose enough since your last visit.
  4. Your Lipids increased.
  5. Your Doctor has a standard therapy he uses on all diabetes patients.

Been on the same dose for 6 months

A1C is actually DOWN a bit.

I've lost 30 pounds!

Lipids - that I don't know

Yeah, could be - she's just a GP, so I'm going to ask for a referral. I LIKE her and I've been going to her for years, but I want someone who really KNOWS their stuff.

Thanks!

aussie mum

When my son was originally diagnosed, his first aic was 10.9. I was told by the endo that it would be imposible to get it below 6 but it seems to me that many are getting this. How do you all get such good readings?

Tom usually gets around 7 or 8 now.

God bless

Therese

JediSkipdogg

Testing more often, accurate carb counting, caring about your diabetes.

Those are pretty much the answer to an excellent A1C value. If you estimate foods alot in the carb area, then you can miscalculate quite often. Testing is truely the essential key though, and then correcting it. Remember that a BG test is only an instant in time. You never know what you run in-between each test.

My A1C is currently a 7.3 (I think) and I'm working on getting that down by more accurate carb counting (which is my biggest flaw.)

kctowers
When my son was originally diagnosed, his first aic was 10.9. I was told by the endo that it would be imposible to get it below 6 but it seems to me that many are getting this. How do you all get such good readings?

Tom usually gets around 7 or 8 now.

God bless

Therese

I try and watch my sugar intake. Read the Can and Packaging labels. Anything over 10 grams per 100 gram serving is a no-no, i.e double figures per 100 gram serving does not get put into our trolly. I don't eat between meals, but have three meals a day at regular times. Doing this allows me to have the odd cake or buscuit when I am out and about with friends and thus I live a fairly normal life. I'm no goody-goody, but you have to work at it. Some days my readings are higher than I would like and I feel down, other days I am pleased with them. It is all a matter of balance I feel. I also like a glass of Aussie red wine and do not deny myself this treat. I am sure your son will find his own threshold with good food management. He has already proved the endo wrong lol.

PS. The a1c is a retrospective look at blood sugar levels. It averages the levels over the previous six monthly/three monthly period. Therefore his first a1c may have been readings taken before medication and self monitoring, so I wouldn't take a lot of notice of it apart from using as an upper level benchmark. Readings above 13.9 or below 2.5 are the ones to remember as being critical. If these show up regularly, you should get in touch with your doctor immediately.

aussie mum
I try and watch my sugar intake. Read the Can and Packaging labels. Anything over 10 grams per 100 gram serving is a no-no, i.e double figures per 100 gram serving does not get put into our trolly. I don't eat between meals, but have three meals a day at regular times. Doing this allows me to have the odd cake or buscuit when I am out and about with friends and thus I live a fairly normal life. I'm no goody-goody, but you have to work at it. Some days my readings are higher than I would like and I feel down, other days I am pleased with them. It is all a matter of balance I feel. I also like a glass of Aussie red wine and do not deny myself this treat. I am sure your son will find his own threshold with good food management. He has already proved the endo wrong lol.

Hi Kctowers,

when you say that anything over 10 grms per 100 is a no no, do you mean fat or carbs? I try to keep fat content 5% or less.

Tom's dietary needs are to have mostly carbs. I try and give him mainly low gi carbs that last longer. He eats 6 meals a day. With each main meal he has between two and three exchanges. 1 exchange equals 15 grms of carb. With each snack he has between 1 and 2 exchanges. If he only has two exchanges for breakfast I try to encourage him to eat 2 at his snack time. I aim to get a minimum of 12 exchanges into him each day. The most he can eat is 15 but rarely would he eat that much. I weigh most of his food out now and that seems to be giving us better bsl. I will be taking him to see the endo at the end of next week so I will know his hba1c then.

God bless

Therese

kctowers
Hi Kctowers,

when you say that anything over 10 grms per 100 is a no no, do you mean fat or carbs? I try to keep fat content 5% or less.

Tom's dietary needs are to have mostly carbs. I try and give him mainly low gi carbs that last longer. He eats 6 meals a day. With each main meal he has between two and three exchanges. 1 exchange equals 15 grms of carb. With each snack he has between 1 and 2 exchanges. If he only has two exchanges for breakfast I try to encourage him to eat 2 at his snack time. I aim to get a minimum of 12 exchanges into him each day. The most he can eat is 15 but rarely would he eat that much. I weigh most of his food out now and that seems to be giving us better bsl. I will be taking him to see the endo at the end of next week so I will know his hba1c then.

God bless

Therese

Sorry, lol, I meant 'carbs of which sugars are': Low GI carbs like pasta are fine, though personally I hate pasta. As I said, it is a matter of balance and you will have to experiment until you get to where you want it to be. The only meal I weigh is breakfast cereal -- shredded wheat or porridge -- around 30 miligrams. Sometimes weighing food religiously can leave a poor diabetic person hungry. Would it not be better to give him more at each meal time and reduce the amount of meals he has over the day? Would this be more satisfying and less like having to eat because he has to? You know best of course, and I think you are taking it really seriously. Well done.

srgw

Feb.2004 14.8 Initial Diag.

May 2004 5.8

Oct. 2004 5.6

Jan. 2005 5.5

May 2005 6.0

Nov.2005 5.8

Some days I slip but most of the time I watch what I eat.

Steve

New Jersey

Type 2 Metformin 500mg 2x a day Amaryl 1mg 1x a day.

aussie mum
Sorry, lol, I meant 'carbs of which sugars are': Low GI carbs like pasta are fine, though personally I hate pasta. As I said, it is a matter of balance and you will have to experiment until you get to where you want it to be. The only meal I weigh is breakfast cereal -- shredded wheat or porridge -- around 30 miligrams. Sometimes weighing food religiously can leave a poor diabetic person hungry. Would it not be better to give him more at each meal time and reduce the amount of meals he has over the day? Would this be more satisfying and less like having to eat because he has to? You know best of course, and I think you are taking it really seriously. Well done.

I have found that Tom's sugars are much better when he has smaller meals often. He doesn't complain much about being hungry but if he did and he had had enough exchanges I would give him some free food.

btw, when Tom misses snacks, even if his sugars are high, we find that this impacts on his sugars the next day. If he doesn't have the 12 exchanges his sugars are low.

God bless

Therese

kctowers
I have found that Tom's sugars are much better when he has smaller meals often. He doesn't complain much about being hungry but if he did and he had had enough exchanges I would give him some free food.

btw, when Tom misses snacks, even if his sugars are high, we find that this impacts on his sugars the next day. If he doesn't have the 12 exchanges his sugars are low.

God bless

Therese

I understand what you say and I'm guessing he is quite young. I think you are doing all you can to help Tom cope with his situation and monitoring his b/s and his food intake as you are doing should keep him out of harms way. It aint easy, I know, it's almost like parents of diabetic children are living the disease themselves, but you're a good mum and he can feel safe and secure in your arms.

jen_slc

Yay, I was dreading my endo check-up today for my A1c, but it came out at 6.5, a wee bit lower than a few months ago! Honestly, it should have been ~8 based on my readings over the last couple of months. Oh well, I shouldn't be complaining, I'm just very surprised (for the second time). It's definitely not due to hypos, I know that. I'm pleasantly surprised that I've been able to keep it this low after reducing my insulin dose and getting rid of all the hypos. :proud: Though maybe next time round will reflect my higher levels.

always2GQ

I am currently 23, diagnosed at 10, and been pumping for about 5 years now. You are doing all that you can and keep it up. Your Tom will appreciate it soon enough. I don't know what I would have done without my motherm she was the greatest, and everything that I know now is because of her. My last A1C was 5.8, and I have been living on my own for the past year, everything she did for me tought me soo much. So keep up the great work and don't give up. A1C's are the hardest when they are young, I remember when mine ranged around 7-8.5. Keep up the good work!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.