Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emorrison

big baby but good sugar control

emorrison

I have been type 1 for 20 yrs. My A1C throughout my entire pregnancy has been around 5.6. I am 38 weeks today and just found out that my baby's stomach is really big. I just don't understand how this can be with an A1C of 5.6 the whole time. I am feeling really bad and guilty even though I have done everything I am supposed to. I have worked so hard, but it just is never enough... Anyone else have big babies even with great sugar control? What were the outcomes?

notme

Although I was diagnosed with type one after my five pregnancies, I had very large babies and my doctor suspects that I had undetected gestational diabetes. All of my children (except my third child) were nine and ten pounds. They were all healthy and still are very healthy today. Hang in there, if you have made it to 38 weeks and your baby is big, I would not worry. Let us know when you have him/her!

liz32

I had good control with my last pregnancy and my son was still 9 lbs 4 oz's ... He's a healthy happy 10 year old. Don't worry to much about it... in just a few weeks you'll be holding your baby.

aiah23

I have 4 friends who had healthy babies, and were not diabetic nor had they developed gestational diabetes, that had 10 lb+ babies. Take heart. Most experts agree that the their are many more babies that are heavier now than 20-30 yrs ago in general, regardless of health issues or lack thereof.

Fawn

olivia0924

Hi,

My baby is 10 months old and I had the same situation. My A1c was 5.7 when I got pregnant and it stayed in the

6's throughout. I had a planned C-section at 38 weeks due to her size.. She ended up being 9lbs 12ozs!!! We knew she was going to be around 9 lbs +/- but surely didn't expect that! When I had the u/s that said she was already around 9lbs I was devastated and immediatly blamed myself. I was crying in the MDs office, but he reassured me that I did everything I was supposed to do. Also he told me to focus on the fact that my baby was perfectly healthy. So, I had a big, healthy baby! It's difficult to not blame yourself, but clearly you did everything right!

I think we have to remember that even though we maintain tight control, our body is still not functioning like that of a person without diabetes. Some things will just be out of our control.

e||ement

also, don't put TOO much stock into what the techs/docs tell you about baby's size. i had good A1Cs throughout pregnancy and i was told to prepare for a 10-pounder at 38 weeks (when i had a c-section) and my son was 7lbs 7 oz. just goes to show you they are only giving you their best estimate.

don't beat yourself up! big doesn't mean unhealthy!

Steal

I wouldn't feel bad at all. Many babies develop differently and all will even out after your little one is born. I would also agree that the size of the baby tends to be a bit different from what they tell you. You are doing everything you can with a 5.6 A1C. Some people just have larger babies. I had a friend that had a 10+ pound baby and she was super healthy and running the whole time.

Don't be hard on yourself. You just need to be a strong and happy mom for your baby. I am preparing for my second one and there are always new and interesting surprises, it is just how you handle them.

claireadams

Dont worry, everyone has different size babies whether they have diabetes or not! Size of baby is not always down to blood sugar control and some diabetic mums with terrible control have tiny babies. During my first pregnancy i had good control and my son was born at 36 7lb 7ozs, which is big for a prem baby. I was told that diabetic mums usually have a baby with a slightly bigger tummy and on the scan it did show up that my son had a larger tummy, but when he was born you couldnt notice a physical difference... admittedly throughout his baby months he was a chunky monkey (but so was i) but he is nearly 5 now and he is the healthiest little boy out of all my friends children who dont have diabetes. (And his tummy is totally in proportion!!)

I am now 26 weeks pregnant, and my baby is on the larger side, but like the other lady said bigger doesnt mean unhealthy!! Im not worried at all this time about size because i look at my little boy and couldnt be happier with his health and his size

claire

Lizzie G

Like all the other ladies have said, I wouldnt worry too much. Everyone seems to be having bigger babies these days regardless of diabetes; whilst it might play a small part its more likely that the baby has just been well nurtured in there and had lots of vitamins and minerals and yummy food and is well and content; don't blame yourself or anything - even if it was to do with diabetes, your control has been perfect and realistically, what more could you possibly have done?

But take heart oh ladies of big babies!!! I don't know if you have the book 'The Baby Whisperer' in the US, its a very popular baby-raising book in the UK. Theres this whole section about the first 6 weeks and feeding; the thought is that babies over 8 pounds should be able to sleep 3 hours between feeds from the outset and that by 6 weeks they should be able to do 11pm to 5am solid (as compared to 4 or 5 hours for a smaller baby).....so lets look on the bright side.

my little chaps going to be about 8 and a half they think, that was just from the average growth chart of a woman of my height and weight....he looks somewhere in the middle of that at the moment but i have a feeling he will be bigger (or hopefully, early!!). i have given up beating myself up about any of it now!

Lizzie G
I wouldn't feel bad at all. Many babies develop differently and all will even out after your little one is born. I would also agree that the size of the baby tends to be a bit different from what they tell you. You are doing everything you can with a 5.6 A1C. Some people just have larger babies. I had a friend that had a 10+ pound baby and she was super healthy and running the whole time.

Don't be hard on yourself. You just need to be a strong and happy mom for your baby. I am preparing for my second one and there are always new and interesting surprises, it is just how you handle them.

running the whole time - wow - i can barely walk at this stage (and could barely run before i was pregnant!!!!) swimming is the only action my body gets, and its pretty gentle these days!

Steal

I know, Lizzie. I am a runner and feel the same way- I can't imagine running, truly running the whole time. I guess I just was worried that it would mess something up or feel way too uncomfortable. But, she was happy and fine and active. She and her husband are both over 6 feet and they were not surprised when she had a 10 pound baby boy. He was super long and at 4 months was walking while holding hands with his mom. It was amazing just to see the physicality of that entire family. She was back to running races withing a few months of the baby and would take him out on practice runs in her jogging stroller. For me, my recovery and time with my daughter was different. The exercise was more in doing everyday tasks and by the time my body was back, I was pregnant again. I plan to run post-pregnancy, but will need to heal from my c-section before thinking about it.

We can do it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.