Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjr91

Vegetarian/low carb?

mjr91

I'm vegetarian -- I do eat eggs/dairy, and I do occasional fish/seafood, but I can't handle that every day any more than I could eat eggs for every meal (yes, I know some people can, but I can't).

I've found some of the Morningstar Farms items like the "sausages" and some of the burgers are quite low carb (minus the fiber, the sausage patties are 1 gram of carbohydrate, for instance) but I'd love other ideas if people have them, because I love to cook. Any thoughts as to whether whole wheat pasta or Dreamfields low carb pasta is better, or other ideas?

jillybean

For the pastas, you just have to try them and test. Whole wheat pasta is not low in carbs. Dreamfields varies for different people - some have okay glucose control using Dreamfields, but for some, it's about the same as regular or whole wheat pasta.

I eat a LOT of cheese - sliced block cheese for breakfast, fried queso blanco or queso para freir with marinara for lunch sometimes, microwaved or baked cheese crisps for snacks...

I'm trying to think of some other ideas for you, but I'm having a tough time coming up with anything that doesn't involve meat.

jwags

I can't handle whole wheat or Dreamfields but I use Shiratake noodles, which are almost 0 carb. There is also a Tofu Shiratake noodle with extra protein. I used to be a vegetarian but now eat meat again but not every night. We do the Black Bean burgers and my bgs tend to be ok. Also veggie chilli is a good meal. I like to make all sorts of frittatas with whatever veggies I have around. Soups are an easy meal. I make a pumpkin/sweet potatoe bisque and throw in some thai spices near the end. If you use Dreamfields make sure you test at 3 and 4 hours. I had great 2 hour numbers- 104, but spiked to 148 and 180 at 3 and 4 hours. I do lots of things with beans. Even though they have carbs they are natural carbs. You can also make things like zucchini fritters, similar to potato pancakes.

Mussakka

Hey there. I'm vegan. I'm not a full time low carber, but I try to keep my carbs on the lower side. A lot of products for vegans/vegetarians work in a low carb diet:

Field Roast makes a Smoked Apple & Sage Sausage that's really good. The links are about the size of a bratwurst and have 11 grams carbs per sausage. It's made from seitan. They also have a Chipotle and an Italian version.

Gardein makes a range of meat substitutes that are low carb (for the most part; check the labels). They have chicken cutlets, beef tips, buffalo wings, and a few others that are surprisingly good and can be used in recipes.

Quorn makes a variety of products that work if you skip the breaded stuff. Their Chik'n Tenders are unbreaded and have around 9 grams carb per cup. I just made a Cilantro Chicken Curry with them last night and find they work very well in those kinds of recipes. The product is made from mushroom protein.

Depending on the brand, TVP (textured vegetable protein) is about a 2:1 ratio of carbs to fiber, so one cup is about 28g carbs but 16g fiber. Mind you, one cup rehydrated is equivalent to a pound of ground beef. I find it works remarkably well in tacos, chili, and other spicy ground beef style recipes.

Nate's Savory Mushroom Meatless Meatballs are 2g carb each. They're made from TVP and mushrooms. Quorn makes meatballs too, but I don't care for their flavor. Trader Joe's has their brand too.

Tofu is low carb (around 10g carbs for 14 ounces...an entire package, basically). I regularly have scrambled tofu as a meal. It's easy to make and an excellent alternative to eggs. I also make a breakfast quiche with tofu and broccoli (or spinach) that's to-die-for and even with the crust it's less than 15g carbs per serving.

Some folks have to be careful with them, but most beans are a similar 2:1 ratio of carbs to fiber like TVP. I do very well with them so I eat a lot of beans.

Of course, your average leafy vegetable is quite low carb, so I eat tons of greens, broccoli, spinach, etc.

If you haven't seen it, you might check out the cookbook Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Even though the recipes are all vegan, they're all fantastic and can be adapted to be low carb or vegetarian.

Hope those suggestions help. I find most of the products in Whole Foods, but they do have a good selection in the regular grocery stores too.

Moonpie

if you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. It makes it hard for "real" vegetarians when folk confuse the issue. My favorite home made veggie meal is Quorn rounds cooked with veggies & topped with mashed cauliflower to make a vegetarian shepherds pie.

foxl
if you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. It makes it hard for "real" vegetarians when folk confuse the issue. My favorite home made veggie meal is Quorn rounds cooked with veggies & topped with mashed cauliflower to make a vegetarian shepherds pie.

Well, no then you are a pesco-ovo-lacto-vegetarian. I am an ovo-lacto, myself. Cannot eat anyone who has or had a face. Not for 38 years.

Those Field Roast thingies are GREAT!

I make a mean nut-crusted spanakopita ... and there are a variety of savory pie fillings you could do, either nut-crusted, or topped with cauli-mash as a shepherd's pie, using a huge variety of seasonings.

Look in middle eastern and indian cookbooks (go to your public library, even!) -- there are tons of recipes you can adapt, and the spicings make for an ENDLESS variety of flavors so you will not get bored.

Mussakka

I know some people take issue with this, but I don't see anything wrong with someone using the term vegetarian to describe themselves, even if they eat fish occasionally. I think when they say this they're describing their primary diet. I guess what I mean is that I don't feel the terms vegetarian and vegan have to be 100% or nothing. It's kind of like saying a cat isn't a carnivore because it eats cilantro occasionally (yes, I'm talking about mine...he loves cilantro). Anyway, not looking for an argument or anything. Just saying I don't feel dietary descriptors have to be totally cut and dried.

Linda's right about Middle Eastern and Indian cookbooks. Indian is on my menu practically every other day, if not for lunch then for dinner. It has to be my single favorite culinary heritage. So many spices, so many regional variations, it's incredible.

Moonpie

The problem I have with it, is that is muddies the waters, so to speak. I' m a former vegetarian, & I would have been horrified if someone gave me soup that had fish paste in it. My sister is a vegetarian, & when she came to visit we went to an Asian restaurant, the waiter assured us the soup was vegetarian, but in fact, it had fish paste in it. People don't understand that not all vegetarians eat fish, so it just makes it confusing. I don't even understand why one would call oneself a vegetarian if htey eat fish. What is wrong with being a pescetarian?

Mussakka
The problem I have with it, is that is muddies the waters, so to speak. I' m a former vegetarian, & I would have been horrified if someone gave me soup that had fish paste in it. My sister is a vegetarian, & when she came to visit we went to an Asian restaurant, the waiter assured us the soup was vegetarian, but in fact, it had fish paste in it. People don't understand that not all vegetarians eat fish, so it just makes it confusing. I don't even understand why one would call oneself a vegetarian if htey eat fish. What is wrong with being a pescetarian?

I won't even start with Joe Pesci jokes. I definitely see your point and completely relate to it. I'm vegan and have to be extremely vigilant to avoid animal products. It's not easy at all. I guess with nebulous terms like vegetarian (heck, even vegan) you just have to be very explicit with waitstaff and know your restaurant. Like McDonald's used to sell their French fries as a vegetarian item but they were cooked in beef fat (years ago...they've reformulated things now I believe. I haven't been to a McD's in years so I don't really keep up with that part of the news).

But yeah, it can be frustrating.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.