Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A1C

2011 Fitness Goals

A1C

Mine:

ATG Squat: 360lbs

Deadlift: 400lbs

DB Power Jerk: 100lbs

Current BW: 182lbs

I am doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1/ program. I Power Jerk instead of Bench.

bardowlatry

OK, I'll play. Mine 2011 fitness goals:

1. Get my BMI into a healthier range.

2. Ride a metric century this summer.

3. Work out more days than I don't (I'm mark it on my calendar and want lots of marks!)

PINK

Great thread idea A1c! What are your goals for aerobic stuff this year?

Bardowlatry--I like your idea for marking it on the calendar and was planning to do a similar thing this year. I didn't start it but I am doing the gym up to 5 times a week right now.

What I did was talk to other people at the gym and my instructors and trainers. I made a commitment to each one that I would be there almost every day, It helps me get out the door knowing that people will be wondering where the heck I am if I am a no-show.

I am taking a bunch of different classes to tone fast and build endurance and muscle. Classes: Spinning/Pilates/yoga/weights/step/stretch and strengthen/Zumba/step.

I am taking the idea of interval training and use all the classes at the gym to do this. I also walk, hike and like to dance. I am hoping to get back into scuba by summer and to ski near the end of the year.

I am taking supplements to boost my sytem as a whole and keep the workout pain away.

I want to drop 20 more pounds by May and bring my BG down to double digits with a balanced low carb diet and exercise. If I drop this 20 and my numbers are still too high I will be asking for more meds, probably insulin.

I've dropped 18 so far and gained a lot of muscle at the same time, which is a good thing because in mid 2010 I was in lousy-lazy shape.

Let's use this thread to give support to reach our goals? What do you think>?

Pink

bardowlatry

Sounds like a great idea to me, Pink! Congrats on the weight loss so far - before you know it, you'll be past your halfway point. I'm doing 9 pounds since making changes post-DX last month, and I've got 35 to go to be at my goal.

I'm a big fan of Zumba classes - I do 3 Zumba classes and 2-3 Zumba toning classes a week, along with some occasional hip hop, step, and sculpt classes. I'm actually thinking very hard about doing Zumba instructor training in April. And I'm like you - I have my gym peeps to keep me going now, which makes the classes much more fun (especially Zumba and hip hop, where we're dancing and being silly already).

I was put on insulin right after my diagnosis, and beyond the initial shock of it all, I'm glad I did it - I've gone from 300+ to double-digits consistently in a month. Of course, it turns out that I'm a very fuzzy-typed diabetic, not quite fitting neatly into type 1, 2, or 1.5, but my dr's don't think the insulin will ever be optional for me.

I really want to take up SCUBA - it's a dream of mine to cage dive with great white sharks in South Africa. :) But for now, I'll stick with my gym and DVD workout routines while I wait for the spring thaw.

Today: 60 minutes of high intensity ZUMBA (some days, the jumping happens, and today was one of those days!)

Todd G.

I really want to take up SCUBA - it's a dream of mine to cage dive with great white sharks in South Africa. :) But for now, I'll stick with my gym and DVD workout routines while I wait for the spring thaw.

Why are you concerned about BG? Great whites like a sweet treat every now and then. :)

Just kidding, but you must be crazy!

Timmy Mac

lets see here..

Squat (parallel.. not atg): 315lbs (currently 275)

Hangclean: 200lbs (175)

Benchpress: 200lbs ( 160)

Current BW: 145lbs

as far as running goes...

Sub 6:00 mile (6:25)

Sub 54s 400m (55.5)

Sub 24.5s 200m (25.2)

Sub 11.5s 100m (11.9)

be able to hold a 1 arm handstand

bardowlatry

You know, it's funny, but I've had the following conversation with multiple people:

Them: Why would you want to do that? What if you got bitten or eaten?

Me: Bitten and survive = AWESOMEST SOUVENIR EVER! Eaten = pretty sweet story to tell in the afterlife.
:)

Them: I'm going to walk away now, you weirdo.

Why are you concerned about BG? Great whites like a sweet treat every now and then. :)

Just kidding, but you must be crazy!

Todd G.

Okay, I'll jump in with mine. I want to lose another 35lbs before May 14th, which just so happens to be my birthday. I'm following a low carb/high fat diet, and walking ~5 miles a day. About 2 miles of that is HIIT style (high intensity interval training) where I run flat out for 30 seconds, then walk one minute, then run again, etc. for an entire 2 mile lap of the park where I go. Then I'm doing leg raises, crunches, pushups, dips, and forward and lateral squats until exhaustion. I'm going to have the body I wanted at twenty years of age at 48 years of age. :) Now if I can just get the car I wanted then, Ferrari, and the woman I wanted then, I'll be good. Oh happy days!

PINK
Sounds like a great idea to me, Pink! Congrats on the weight loss so far - before you know it, you'll be past your halfway point. I'm doing 9 pounds since making changes post-DX last month, and I've got 35 to go to be at my goal.

I'm a big fan of Zumba classes - I do 3 Zumba classes and 2-3 Zumba toning classes a week, along with some occasional hip hop, step, and sculpt classes. I'm actually thinking very hard about doing Zumba instructor training in April. And I'm like you - I have my gym peeps to keep me going now, which makes the classes much more fun (especially Zumba and hip hop, where we're dancing and being silly already).

I was put on insulin right after my diagnosis, and beyond the initial shock of it all, I'm glad I did it - I've gone from 300+ to double-digits consistently in a month. Of course, it turns out that I'm a very fuzzy-typed diabetic, not quite fitting neatly into type 1, 2, or 1.5, but my dr's don't think the insulin will ever be optional for me.

Today: 60 minutes of high intensity ZUMBA (some days, the jumping happens, and today was one of those days!)

Bardowlatry, I just saw your response from last month. I can see the cave-diving with Whites. I can see it but i'm not going to do it! :T

You've achieved amazing progress so far!

Keep it up everybody!

Pink

PINK
Okay, I'll jump in with mine. I want to lose another 35lbs before May 14th, which just so happens to be my birthday. I'm following a low carb/high fat diet, and walking ~5 miles a day. About 2 miles of that is HIIT style (high intensity interval training) where I run flat out for 30 seconds, then walk one minute, then run again, etc. for an entire 2 mile lap of the park where I go. Then I'm doing leg raises, crunches, pushups, dips, and forward and lateral squats until exhaustion. I'm going to have the body I wanted at twenty years of age at 48 years of age. :) Now if I can just get the car I wanted then, Ferrari, and the woman I wanted then, I'll be good. Oh happy days!

Todd,

I like your 1 minute of each and HIIT seems to me to be just what my body needs. your workout sounds like a buttkicker. Hope you get the car and the woman. <s>

I liked the P90X (is that right?) infomercials and have heard that many suffer from injuries and overwork doing that program. So- I do my own by mixing it up.

One of my favorite teachers is talking bootcamp on the beach. I told him: Count me in!

Pink

A1C
Great thread idea A1c! What are your goals for aerobic stuff this year?
Pink sorry it took me so long to reply to your post. I haven't been around in a while.

First, I decided not to do Jim Wendler's 5/3/1/ program for the time being. I wanted to start at the beginning of January 2011 and do the program for the entire 12 months of the year, however I messed the percentages twice because I suck using MS Excel. I'll have to wait until the start of 2012 at the earliest to do 5/3/1.

You ask a good question about cardio goals because I am having a dilemma. Some of the better strength training routines do not leave much room for cardio except for maybe light walking because the routines are physically demanding.

I am currently in week 3 of the 9 week Extended Russian Routine. After I am finished the program I want to do the Smolov Squat program. There is no way I can do cardio during Smolov. Squatting 4 days a week during the Base Mesocyle, I will be lucky if I can walk to my mail box.

A1C

Edit: I am at Week 2 of the aforementioned program.

Also, I forgot to mention that my strength goals have changed from my original post. I'm not sure if I can acheive two of the three goals by the end of the year because of my delayed start and you don't deadlift during the smolov squat program. Nothing but squatting during the Base Mesocyle and Intense Mesocyle.

liz32

to be able to bike my entire road from my place to the top, down to the bottom and back to my place... doesn't sound like much but my road it 12.5 km long (so that's a 25 km circle) and it's all hills and curves. I'm up to 6.5 kms at a time. I just got a new bike which is amazingly comfortable so the goal is going to be alot more pleasant to reach. After that, my girl-friend and I want to bike from one end of PEI to the other (180 some km).

Subby

To keep doing what I have been doing for the last few weeks, which is most days at the gym (or equivalent exercise). I have actually discovered that what works best for me is not to have absoute or specific concrete goals, but just make sure I've got the time and space to get back to the gym, now thatI have a good start to the habit. Fortunately, my current life does allow this to happen, ie, no long work hours.

The smaller goals are taking care of themselves as I do the exercise. Eg, did 25 min on the treadmill for a week at x1 rate, then I realise it's getting easy, so just go to 30 min at x2 rate. So far, all good. Since I can read on the treadmill (I am studying) it is something I am happy to do most days, 2 birds, one stone.

I have dodgy shoulders, and previous efforts at the gym have been problematic as I have tried to tackle strengthening them head on, even very lightly. This meant they would play up and I'd have headaches for days. This time around as far as going more regularly, I have taken the approach to do nothing that irritates them (which means my strenthening options are seriously limted). However, I can still get some core in around the edges, (and a tiny bit for my shoulders) and am benefiting greatly both BG and well being, from some strength training. I think the indirect approach will lead to be able to improve my shoulders down the track. A goal could be to have them strong enough by the end of the year to, say, be able to dig a large hole in the garden and not throw them out. But if not, no drama.

Amosec

Hi All

My goal is to reduce 40 lbs in next 3 months.

I have focused mainly on my diet and couldn't go for gym for exercise due to some domestic problems but I will within a week.

austinh2o

I've been diving for 20 years. Never down in S. Africa, but most everywhere else. In all that time, I've never seen a great white, but have seen a twenty foot tiger shark in Indonesia. I highly recommend it.

A1C
Posted · Hidden
Hidden

Not to sound redundant, however I decided to stick with my original plan. Cardio (hill sprints) keeps the doctors away. I will probably fall short on my power jerk and squat goals. The deadlift goal is still obtainable.

Dillone

Hi All,

My fitness goals of 2011 are:

3x15 squats

3x15 deadlifts

3x15 lat pulldown

3x15 flat bench bar and

3x15 seated rows

lisas

I hope it isn't too late to add my fitness goals for 2011.

1) Be able to jog 3 miles by the end of the year.

2) Do some kind of exercise a minimun of 5 days a week, even if only for 20 minutes.

3) Be able to squat all the way down on my heels and get back up without using my hands!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.