Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dturney

Bad Advice

clebo

Hi Everyone!! As I stated before.....I am no Einstein and cannot stand on the same level as the rest of you are on your Diabetes management and formulas you have found that work for you....

I still believe in a "Balanced" Diet.....what is a Balanced Diet.....it's whatever you eat each day which helps you achieve the BG targets you set for yourself.....that's all.

I am amazed at Samorgan's formula ratio of carbs/ protein/fats..... he found what works for him and tries to share it with the rest of the world too....thatt's what this Forum is all about....we share the knowledge...it's up to you if you act on it or not....

There is and never will be a set recipe for good Bg and Diabetes management....we are all different and our bodies react differently....

For myself....I could never eat the recommendations for the Government food pyramid for regular folks or Diabetics....too many carbs..

So I try to eat a Balance from the meat , milk, fruit and veggie, starch, bread, fats(still don't go out of my way to eat fats)...

I eat 3 meals a day and 1 snack at nite....around 110 carbs a day.....and exercise everyday....no meds.....this is what works for me....and I know it won't work for everyone, because we're all different in how our bodies react .... but I , like Samorgan , still want to share what worked for me, in hopes it might help someone else....but it's not WORD- meaning my lifestyle is the only way to go....

All I know , is that I'm happy for Don, Samorgan and Nick and everyone else who has found what works for them.....that is all that matters.... we all have Diabetes..... but there is no, one-size fits all way to manage Diabetes....do what works for you...

We all take different roads to get to the same destination.....a longer, better quality of life for all of us....it doesn't matter how you get there!! Just get there!!

Let's be happy for each other and respect everyone's choice of Diabetes Management....You are all Winners in my book....

Life is Good... Clebo

PS. Samorgan, I am a simpleton.....could you explain how all the "fat" consumption" doesn't put you at risk for heart disease.....down the road.....I know it could be said also of my Carb consumption, but I could never get over the (Fat is Bad mentality ) I grew up with.....I'm not picking on your lifestyle, I just want to know if in simple terms....does the fat get eaten up (when you're in Ketosis) before it can do long -term damage.... I assume the fat keeps you from being hungry and keeps the Bg's down?? I guess , simply stated.....what happens to all the fat you eat??? Please help me out here... Thank You, Clebo

MrsMia
I think I need to give some of my history to help clarify. Prior to being diagnosed T2 (Terminator 2 The Movie) :D in January 2005, I had already started slowly transitioning my diet from omni to vegan by slowly weening myself off of meat b/t October 2004 and December 2004. My omni diet consisted of lots o' chicken thighs, lots o' cheddar cheese, lots o' oatmeal, and lots o' skim milk. My weight was hovering b/t 205 to 210lbs for much of 2004.

By the time I was diagnosed in January 2005, I had already lost 10lbs. I went from 205lbs down to 195lbs. After I was diagnosed, I lost 45lbs in 8-9 months because I started keeping a food log and was exercising regularly; recreational weightlifting 3-4 days a week and going to martial arts class initially 3 days/week to eventually 6 days/week until I injured my knee. I continued to lose weight after the injury because apparently exercising kick started my metabolic rate.

In March of 2006, I started real strength training (I finally knew what I was doing) and put on 30lbs of muscle in 8-9 months and my bodyweight went from 150lbs to 180lbs. My calories on a vegan diet was approximately 50% from carbs, 20-25% from fat, and 25-30% from protein. I was aiming for 50/20/30 C:F:P ratio.

It is very impressive that you put on 30 lbs. of muscle in 8 to 9 months. Everything I've heard is that it takes a long time to put on muscle. And that a person is lucky to put on 5 to 7 pounds of new muscle in a year. So you can see how impressive putting on 30lbs of muscle in 8 to 9 months is. I do have a question though. It is my understanding that vegans do not use animal sources for their protein. That their protein is derived from plant sources. If that is true, wouldn't your diet actually consist of 75 to 80 % carbohydrates? Also, what did you derive your fat from? It just sounds like you have a higher carbohydrate count when you add in the protein and maybe even some of the fat depending on if it comes in the form of a whole food.

To answer your questions, I gained weight because I did not exercise regularly due to a sleep disorder and I was consuming approximately the same amount of calories and C:F:P ratio, however I was not burning as many calories. My body weight went from 180lbs to 203-205lbs. Second, I got older and for many people it becomes more difficult to lose body fat and maintain a lean physique as we age.

Right now I'm reading Gary Taubes new book, "Why we get fat and what to do about it." It addresses some of the possible/popular reasons why we think we put on fat. It's interesting because from what I've read, most people never get an answer as to the "why" they overeat. Plus it takes a very good look at the laws of thermodynamics.

princesslinda

Right now I'm reading Gary Taubes new book, "Why we get fat and what to do about it." It addresses some of the possible/popular reasons why we think we put on fat. It's interesting because from what I've read, most people never get an answer as to the "why" they overeat. Plus it takes a very good look at the laws of thermodynamics.

I'm reading this book as well Mia, and it does make one stop and think.

notme

Yes it does. I bought extra virgin coconut oil yesterday and tried about 1/4 tsp. OMG....no WAY. I will stay overweight.

notme

I also tried to put it in coffee and drink it and the flavor was ok, but the oily lips afterward revolted me.... This isn't going to work for me.... No way.... Might as well drink motor oil. eeesh..... How do you do it????

samorgan
I also tried to put it in coffee and drink it and the flavor was ok, but the oily lips afterward revolted me.... This isn't going to work for me.... No way.... Might as well drink motor oil. eeesh..... How do you do it????

I have a cappuccino machine so once you hit it with the steam wand, it is completely dispersed and you are not even aware of it as you drink - except for the delicious taste. Perhaps a high-speed hand mixer (the kind with a sharp blade) could do the same thing.

Also, you can fry eggs in it or anything else requiring only medium heat. One of my favorites is to fry finely sliced fresh garlic, sliced hot pepper, purple onions and a few mushrooms in lots of coconut oil, then add fresh green chard (or kale if you're hard core) and some butter (I keep the butter out of the hottest part of the process because it burns), saute and cover some times (for steam) until done. Oh, and sometimes I had a half cup of extra thick (51g of fat per 8 oz) coconut milk (or "cream") for a really delicious dish (it's 30% oil, too).

A1C
It is very impressive that you put on 30 lbs. of muscle in 8 to 9 months. Everything I've heard is that it takes a long time to put on muscle. And that a person is lucky to put on 5 to 7 pounds of new muscle in a year. So you can see how impressive putting on 30lbs of muscle in 8 to 9 months is.
That's 30lbs of muscle without deadlifting. I would have put on at least 10-15lbs more if I was deadlifting during that period. I am an upper extremity amputee and at the time I could not figure out how to deadlift with a barbell with my full arm and my stump until I got an idea from a video I saw on youtube and I created a homemade ghetto adaptive pulling device to tie around the bar and my stump comfortably.
I do have a question though. It is my understanding that vegans do not use animal sources for their protein. That their protein is derived from plant sources. If that is true, wouldn't your diet actually consist of 75 to 80 % carbohydrates? Also, what did you derive your fat from? It just sounds like you have a higher carbohydrate count when you add in the protein and maybe even some of the fat depending on if it comes in the form of a whole food.
No. I believe 3-4 oz of tofu only has a few grams of carbs. Soy beans have very few carbs. I got most of my fat from 1 serving of nuts, 1 serving of oil, and 1 serving of seeds per day.

My typical daily diet used to consist of:

Tofu

Soy milk

Beans/Legumes (lentils, black, chickpeas, split greens peas, pinto)

Brown Rice

Wheat Germ

Bananas/Oranges

Dark Leafy Greens (Collards or kale)

Nuts (peanuts, cashews, or walnuts)

Seeds

Oil

I do not know the exact quantity. I saved my old food log notebooks, but I am not going to dig them out of my archives. It's to time consuming.

notme
I have a cappuccino machine so once you hit it with the steam wand, it is completely dispersed and you are not even aware of it as you drink - except for the delicious taste. Perhaps a high-speed hand mixer (the kind with a sharp blade) could do the same thing.

Also, you can fry eggs in it or anything else requiring only medium heat. One of my favorites is to fry finely sliced fresh garlic, sliced hot pepper, purple onions and a few mushrooms in lots of coconut oil, then add fresh green chard (or kale if you're hard core) and some butter (I keep the butter out of the hottest part of the process because it burns), saute and cover some times (for steam) until done. Oh, and sometimes I had a half cup of extra thick (51g of fat per 8 oz) coconut milk (or "cream") for a really delicious dish (it's 30% oil, too).

I do have a high speed hand mixer, but don't you still get an oily film at the top when it rises? Oil and water just don't mix. I could probably cook with it and that is what I will have to do. I certainly can't just consume oil.

samorgan

Hey, Clebo, good to see you here again. About your question:

PS. Samorgan, I am a simpleton.....could you explain how all the "fat" consumption" doesn't put you at risk for heart disease.....down the road.....I know it could be said also of my Carb consumption, but I could never get over the (Fat is Bad mentality ) I grew up with.....I'm not picking on your lifestyle, I just want to know if in simple terms....does the fat get eaten up (when you're in Ketosis) before it can do long -term damage.... I assume the fat keeps you from being hungry and keeps the Bg's down?? I guess , simply stated.....what happens to all the fat you eat??? Please help me out here... Thank You, Clebo

Simply put, the alleged "correlation" from which the over-eager assumed "causality" between eating fat/saturated fat was a lie from the beginning. The original study - on which everything after that and especially the FUNDING and perception bias which followed is based - was a fraud. The Lipid Hypothesis is a lie.

Ansel Keys cherry-picked his data discarding completely 16 out of the 23 countries for which he had data keeping only the ones which fit his desired conclusion. In fact, Mr. Keys himself stated in the study that the correlation might not be fat but something accompanying it (statistically) and he suggested it might be SUGAR consumption. In any case, THERE IS ZERO CORRELATION between fat consumption and ANY known health issues including cardio-vascular ones, in fact, the truth might be just the opposite. Please spend 78 seconds here:

OK, that's actually the second wrong claim "high blood cholesterol leads to CV problems", also false. Kind of makes the first one (eating fat raises serum cholesterol) moot, but let's continue...

Actual risk factors for CV problems are:

1) High triglycerides

2) Low HDL

3) High SMALL PARTICLE (aka "oxidized") LDL. Large paticle LDL is at worst irrelevant, at best PROTECTIVE

4) High VLDL

5) High inflammation (e.g., as measured by the CRP test)

High overall cholesterol is meaningless unless you know what it consists of. High LDL is likewise meaningless until you know what IT consists of. But, alas, VAP tests are expensive so few know the needed information

This overly-simplistic way of looking at blood lipids kind of works, because for those eating typical very high-carb western diets, they will consistently have:

1) very high triglycerides

2) very low HDL

3) unfavorable LDL particle size (mostly small, oxidized, dangerous ones)

4) high VLDL

5) high inflammation

Swapping some or most of those carbs for fats may or may not reduce total LDL (again, a pretty meaningless number) - it didn't in my case, although it does for many. But, it will CONSISTENTLY reduce ALL of the real risk factors for CV problems, here's my results after about one year on LC/HF:

1) triglycerides: from 158 to 55

2) HDL: from 34 to 59

3) LDL: still 157 but entirely "Pattern A" (large, fluffy and harmless particles). Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" but high triglycerides/low HDL are indicators of high Pattern B LDL, so I can safely assume a huge improvement here, too.

4) VLDL: low and "in range" but again I have no "before" number

5) CRP: low to very low. Two tests were 0.9 and 1.3 both excellent but again, no "before" number available.

Where does all the fat I eat go? I don't know! It's definitely not on/in me! It is also not doing damage - long or short-term. It has improved all my cardiac risk factors dramatically, not to mention giving me completely normal BG with no meds and little exercise (NOT recommending that last one!)

synger

I actually bought coconut oil for my long-term food storage, before I was dx. It wasn't until learning more about avoiding other vegetable oils that I began using it more often. And then when I was dx it was handy to bring variety to cooking in olive oil or butter. *shrug* Now I enjoy it in tea once in a while, too. It helps bring up my calories when I need an extra 100 here or there.

samorgan
I do have a high speed hand mixer, but don't you still get an oily film at the top when it rises? Oil and water just don't mix. I could probably cook with it and that is what I will have to do. I certainly can't just consume oil.

No, not with the steam wand. It completely disappears. I suppose if I left it for a long time the would eventually separate back out and float to the top, but I see no sign of it in the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to drink it.

clebo
Hey, Clebo, good to see you here again. About your question:

Simply put, the alleged "correlation" from which the over-eager assumed "causality" between eating fat/saturated fat was a lie from the beginning. The original study - on which everything after that and especially the FUNDING and perception bias which followed is based - was a fraud. The Lipid Hypothesis is a lie.

Ansel Keys cherry-picked his data discarding completely 16 out of the 23 countries for which he had data keeping only the ones which fit his desired conclusion. In fact, Mr. Keys himself stated in the study that the correlation might not be fat but something accompanying it (statistically) and he suggested it might be SUGAR consumption. In any case, THERE IS ZERO CORRELATION between fat consumption and ANY known health issues including cardio-vascular ones, in fact, the truth might be just the opposite. Please spend 78 seconds here:

OK, that's actually the second wrong claim "high blood cholesterol leads to CV problems", also false. Kind of makes the first one (eating fat raises serum cholesterol) moot, but let's continue...

Actual risk factors for CV problems are:

1) High triglycerides

2) Low HDL

3) High SMALL PARTICLE (aka "oxidized") LDL. Large paticle LDL is at worst irrelevant, at best PROTECTIVE

4) High VLDL

5) High inflammation (e.g., as measured by the CRP test)

High overall cholesterol is meaningless unless you know what it consists of. High LDL is likewise meaningless until you know what IT consists of. But, alas, VAP tests are expensive so few know the needed information

This overly-simplistic way of looking at blood lipids kind of works, because for those eating typical very high-carb western diets, they will consistently have:

1) very high triglycerides

2) very low HDL

3) unfavorable LDL particle size (mostly small, oxidized, dangerous ones)

4) high VLDL

5) high inflammation

Swapping some or most of those carbs for fats may or may not reduce total LDL (again, a pretty meaningless number) - it didn't in my case, although it does for many. But, it will CONSISTENTLY reduce ALL of the real risk factors for CV problems, here's my results after about one year on LC/HF:

1) triglycerides: from 158 to 55

2) HDL: from 34 to 59

3) LDL: still 157 but entirely "Pattern A" (large, fluffy and harmless particles). Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" but high triglycerides/low HDL are indicators of high Pattern B LDL, so I can safely assume a huge improvement here, too.

4) VLDL: low and "in range" but again I have no "before" number

5) CRP: low to very low. Two tests were 0.9 and 1.3 both excellent but again, no "before" number available.

Where does all the fat I eat go? I don't know! It's definitely not on/in me! It is also not doing damage - long or short-term. It has improved all my cardiac risk factors dramatically, not to mention giving me completely normal BG with no meds and little exercise (NOT recommending that last one!)

Hi Salim!! Thank You for explaining the "fat" issue....all I know is it works for you and I 'm happy for you!!! I plan to keep all these lifestyle eating plans in mind....you never know when you may have to go another direction in life.... Thank You, Salim for your continued help and education in managing Diabetes.... Life is Good... Clebo

clebo

Back to the original post.... Don , All I can say is after 42 years of living with Diabetes....You must be doing something right..... Keep on keepin Don....Luv Ya Man...you have more friends than you'll ever know....

How do you feel about eating 110 carbs a day from all the basic food groups.... I'm doin allright with it myself.... plus exercise.... What's too many carbs??? I guess the BG's will tell you....

Anyway...always good to hear from you Don!! Don't be a stranger....it's been too long... Life is Good...Clebo

Tribbles
What is a healthy balanced diet? And who decided what that is? Is it 6 to 10 servings of grains a day? Plus 8 servings of fruits and vegetables? What happens when somebody has grain allergies or dairy allergies and cannot have those food groups? Are they no longer eating a healthy balanced diet? Or if someone has 2 servings of grains instead of 6-10 and maybe 4 total servings of vegetables but no fruit?

There are sometimes when you cannot eat a balanced diet because it will kill you. I know a person how cannot eat leafy vegetables because they go into shock so, yes their diet is not going to be as balanced and they take supplements to make up for the shortfall.

When it comes down to it man is an omnivore and can eat almost anything, that doesn't mean it is a good idea to make that a way of life (excessive carbs anyone?). I just feel that it is important to get a good mix of good quality food as that gives me the best shot at getting all my nutrients. To answer the other question; if someone has 2 units instead of 10 then yes I think that is unbalanced if it is done over an extended period since that is an 80% shortfall.

What I have done is swapped some things that I used to eat (the eat to the meter thing). I used to drink orange juice in the morning but that's not really possible now so instead I eat fruit - same group but different form. Likewise I eat almonds now rather than peanuts or cashews (although that's not strictly like for like since one is a nut and the others are legumes). Also I changed some of the form I got my carbs in (less pasta and more brown rice). The basic proportions remain unaltered though. So I adapt but retain the balance, my Alc is good, and my weight is stable - I take meds to allow this life style and I am happy :)

clebo
There are sometimes when you cannot eat a balanced diet because it will kill you. I know a person how cannot eat leafy vegetables because they go into shock so, yes their diet is not going to be as balanced and they take supplements to make up for the shortfall.

When it comes down to it man is an omnivore and can eat almost anything, that doesn't mean it is a good idea to make that a way of life (excessive carbs anyone?). I just feel that it is important to get a good mix of good quality food as that gives me the best shot at getting all my nutrients. To answer the other question; if someone has 2 units instead of 10 then yes I think that is unbalanced if it is done over an extended period since that is an 80% shortfall.

What I have done is swapped some things that I used to eat (the eat to the meter thing). I used to drink orange juice in the morning but that's not really possible now so instead I eat fruit - same group but different form. Likewise I eat almonds now rather than peanuts or cashews (although that's not strictly like for like since one is a nut and the others are legumes). Also I changed some of the form I got my carbs in (less pasta and more brown rice). The basic proportions remain unaltered though. So I adapt but retain the balance, my Alc is good, and my weight is stable - I take meds to allow this life style and I am happy :)

Hi Tribbles!! You have found what works for you....that's what's important and you said the magic words...You are happy...that's all that matters... I'm happy for you too!! Life is Good...Clebo

samorgan

To me, "balanced diet" is a meaningless term. Look where the officially recommended "balanced diet" has gotten us. Some just seem to forget the ever-sacred YMMV when this subject comes up.

"Balance" to me means harmony. So, a "balanced" diet is one at harmony with your body, what it can handle, what it can't and your health. Even though genetic predisposition varies, if you got diabetes T2, pretty safe to say you did NOT eat a "balanced" diet to that point no matter what you mix of nutrients. What you ate made your tissues resistant and partially killed your pancreas! How is that "balanced", no matter how "correct" it was?

The previous paragraph may be another long discussion, but I hope we agree that once you ARE a T2, what is "balanced" (harmonious) NOW might be quite different from (or narrower in range than) what was before. Time for a new definition!

I eat around 10% or less of calories from carbs, 15% from protein and the rest from fats of all kinds.

THIS IS A PERFECTLY BALANCED DIET.

It is the ONLY balanced diet for me. It keeps my glucose in the normal range, my weight perfect, my energy high and all my CV risk factors LOW.

Find YOUR "balanced diet" and stick with it. We have the means to discover it ourselves.

jenb

I've been following this thread with a certain amount of dread due to the sarcasm expressed by the OP, but finally have to make one comment. Don, evidently, uses insulin to help control his blood sugar, not diet and exercise alone, and not oral meds that can't be specifically targeted at carbohydrate intake. I did not notice acknowledgement of that component of his treatment program in his description of his own success. It's clear to me that reducing or eliminating starchy carbs and high-sugar foods like fruits is a boon to those diabetics who do not have the advantage of insulin at their disposal, and for insulin dependent diabetics who wish to minimize insulin intake.

There's certainly a wide range of metabolism represented among us and I've seen just about every nutritional position argued here. In my opinion, DF members offer the benefit of their experience quite generously. I am so grateful for the kindness I was shown when I first began posting, and for the wide range of experience that has been presented. I really hope that we can forego the sarcasm and derision in favor of constructive input.

Best,

Jen

A1C
My calories on a vegan diet was approximately 50% from carbs, 20-25% from fat, and 25-30% from protein. I was aiming for 50/20/30 C:F:P ratio.
MrsMia, that % of carbs is not completely accurate because I do not how much fiber is in a large banana. I still do not.

NickP

It's been an interesting thread.....and I am not sure we have found any common ground.

I will say this....Your diet affects about 70% of your BG. The other 30% (my estimate....YMMV) come from exercise, stress, sleep, and environment. So, you can eat perfectly (whatever that is), and still have BG issues. Some use medicine and insulin to manage their diet. If that works for you....great, but you still need to manage the other 30%.

I do believe everyone is a little different. But the bottom line is that your body converts Carbs into BG. How you control your diet and lifestyle will impact how well you control your BG.

Don....congrats on your success. You have survived times when the knowledge was not readily available, and the fact that you have managed this well is a testiment to your skill and oversight of your disease.

I could go on insulin, but I have elected another path. I will stay on my path until I am no longer able to achieve A1C in the 5.X range. When my A1C rises above that goal, then I will look at the options and adjust.

For me, Low Carb living is the way I plan to spend the rest of my days. It is the correct diet and "balance" for me.

BTW - CLEBO - consuming 110 carbs a day is a Low Carb diet (you may not be HF/LC, but you are LC). Good for you.....you have found your balance.

Life is Good......

ShottleBop
I was diagnosed with type II diabetes June 2, 1970 I was placed on insulin June 2, 1970. I have lived 42 years with this disease. I have eaten a balanced diet of all the food groups during this period. I have taken approx 91,980 injection of insulin during this period. I do not ,let me repeat, "DO NOT" have any complications from diabetes....You need to check the longevity with diabetes of the HF/NC group. The old cloche of "The proof is in the pudding" applies. I don't know how much more positive you can get. My advice to the new folks is, be very careful what you apply from this forum in regards to the care of your diabetes...

I'll see your dturney and raise you a Dr. Bernstein. 1946-2011 (65 years)--HC/LF for the past 40 or so. And it's not "HC/NC", it's "HC/LC." Yes, the proof is in the pudding. Looks like there's more than one flavor. I'll take mine without milk.

dturney
I'll see your dturney and raise you a Dr. Bernstein. 1946-2011 (65 years)--HC/LF for the past 40 or so. And it's not "HC/NC", it's "HC/LC." Yes, the proof is in the pudding. Looks like there's more than one flavor. I'll take mine without milk.

I bet your pudding is made out of frog eggs???? you do mean HF/LC for ole Bernstein????...you do know he is a type one??? The HF/LC diet was the diet most Diabetics were place on before insulin was availible...I suppose if your are not a diabetic then the HF/LC diet would be great...some fat, some protine and some carbs are my gig....and chocolate pudding .

clebo
I bet your pudding is made out of frog eggs???? you do mean HF/LC for ole Bernstein????...you do know he is a type one??? The HF/LC diet was the diet most Diabetics were place on before insulin was availible...I suppose if your are not a diabetic then the HF/LC diet would be great...some fat, some protine and some carbs are my gig....and chocolate pudding .

Count me in on the chocolate pudding too, Don!! Life is Good..Clebo

princesslinda

Getting back to the title of the thread, I have to say that other than the obvious spammers, in the 4 years i've been part of the forums, i've rarely seen what i'd consider truly bad advice. While I may not agree and embrace everything I see posted here, most of it gives me pause and causes me to think about things. As a new diabetic, most of us have very little knowledge about it. Finding a place that is has a variety of ways to manage it encouraged me. Had their been only one way, I would have been very discouraged.

I would hope that anyone reading any part of the forums does so realizing we're not a medical forum. All we can share is our journey and what has worked or not worked for us. Not following my way doesn't mean you're going to fail; conversely, my not following your path likewise doesn't guarantee failure. But by reading the different ways we manage, I know that if my way no longer works, I have other options to explore. So, I appreciate all the advice, even the ones I don't follow.

clebo
To me, "balanced diet" is a meaningless term. Look where the officially recommended "balanced diet" has gotten us. Some just seem to forget the ever-sacred YMMV when this subject comes up.

"Balance" to me means harmony. So, a "balanced" diet is one at harmony with your body, what it can handle, what it can't and your health. Even though genetic predisposition varies, if you got diabetes T2, pretty safe to say you did NOT eat a "balanced" diet to that point no matter what you mix of nutrients. What you ate made your tissues resistant and partially killed your pancreas! How is that "balanced", no matter how "correct" it was?

The previous paragraph may be another long discussion, but I hope we agree that once you ARE a T2, what is "balanced" (harmonious) NOW might be quite different from (or narrower in range than) what was before. Time for a new definition!

I eat around 10% or less of calories from carbs, 15% from protein and the rest from fats of all kinds.

THIS IS A PERFECTLY BALANCED DIET.

It is the ONLY balanced diet for me. It keeps my glucose in the normal range, my weight perfect, my energy high and all my CV risk factors LOW.

Find YOUR "balanced diet" and stick with it. We have the means to discover it ourselves.

I agree with Salim about Balance meaning harmony.... I think we all know that when we're diagnosed .....there is No Balance....that's what the journey is all about...

We all start out confused , and clueless on what direction to take, but in time...each one of us has found a road to take and we have or we will(for the Newbies) find the Balance....which means whatever you do(eating, exercise, meds,insulin) that brings your Bg's under control and at whatever acceptable level you set for yourself..then you have found the Balance.....that's what Balance means to me....whatever Lifestyle you choose for yourself that gets your Bg's to an acceptable level you can live with.

If you are there now..you have found the Balance....hold on to it and stay the course...you're one of the lucky ones...if you're not there yet....keep working at it...it will come thru trial and error and lots of information and forum help...You will get there...

Bottomline ...Balance is getting your Bg's where you want them to be....and doing it by whatever way works for you....that's all there is to it.... Balance is Harmony between You and your Bg's- the ultimate goal of this Journey.....

Enjoy your Journey.....it's worth the trip... Life is Good...Clebo

P.S. I hate the word Diet.....this is not a diet people....it's not temporary...it's forever....so find a Lifestyle that works for you and you can be happy with the rest of your life....and just do it.... the rewards will come..... you won't be sorry!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.