Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FarmerCathy

Pregnancy and Insulin Pump

aiah23
I had a bowl of cereal yesterday for my snack. I bolused 1 unit per 15 g of carb. Cereal is not a typical snack. Usually for my snack in the am I will have some flaxseed brownies with milk (recipe I got on here from another member, which seems to help), then I will have 1/2 an apple dipped in almond butter in the mornings, then in the afternoon its usually nuts (which I haven't been able to the last couple days, my stomach does not like it) or whole wheat toast with almond butter. Yesterday I had half a chicken salad sandwich for my first snack after lunch and then the cereal. I seemed to be really hungry yesterday afternoon. I made chicken and rice soup for dinner last night and was at 112 after that and then had whole wheat toast with almond butter and was back down to 115 a little more than an hour after that, so I thought I'd be fine this am because lately its been 150 or 170 before I go to bed and my numbers have been way lower. I'm thinking a protein snack in the middle of the night might have helped. I think I'm going to make some deviled eggs today for snacks and hope that helps.

Sounds like good plan. We realized around 10-11 weeks that I couldn't tolerate cereal as a snack (no matter how much I bolused for it sadly) unless I had a low blood sugar so I put away my favorite cereals. I do already if I have a low sugar oatmeal in the morning but now my morning numbers are really elevated too and I'm trying to decide whether I want to up my pm basal by a unit or start taking a bolus when I wake up around 1a to test. Blood sugars used to drop around 150 units overnight, now they're only dropping 30-50.

Fawn

aiah23
I had a bowl of cereal yesterday for my snack. I bolused 1 unit per 15 g of carb. Cereal is not a typical snack. Usually for my snack in the am I will have some flaxseed brownies with milk (recipe I got on here from another member, which seems to help), then I will have 1/2 an apple dipped in almond butter in the mornings, then in the afternoon its usually nuts (which I haven't been able to the last couple days, my stomach does not like it) or whole wheat toast with almond butter. Yesterday I had half a chicken salad sandwich for my first snack after lunch and then the cereal. I seemed to be really hungry yesterday afternoon. I made chicken and rice soup for dinner last night and was at 112 after that and then had whole wheat toast with almond butter and was back down to 115 a little more than an hour after that, so I thought I'd be fine this am because lately its been 150 or 170 before I go to bed and my numbers have been way lower. I'm thinking a protein snack in the middle of the night might have helped. I think I'm going to make some deviled eggs today for snacks and hope that helps.

It really is a rapid course in forced flexibility and dietary changes. Tonight I'm going to see if a single piece of toast with 1 tbsp peanut butter holds me overnight fine or if I have to take a bolus around 1-3a.

Fawn

FarmerCathy

I figured it out. I just needed a snack. I woke up at 2am not really needing to use the bathroom, but decided to take my bg and it was 85. I went back to bed and realized I was feeling kind of hungry, well, that was it. I was 87 this am. I just needed a snack. Yay!!!

aiah23
I figured it out. I just needed a snack. I woke up at 2am not really needing to use the bathroom, but decided to take my bg and it was 85. I went back to bed and realized I was feeling kind of hungry, well, that was it. I was 87 this am. I just needed a snack. Yay!!!

Awesome. That will change later but should hold for you for a couple weeks at least. So enjoy the early am snack and make sure it's got some good nutrients for your baby:)

Fawn

FarmerCathy
Awesome. That will change later but should hold for you for a couple weeks at least. So enjoy the early am snack and make sure it's got some good nutrients for your baby:)

Fawn

Haha! Yeah, we'll see how long I can have my snack at night. I just had a deviled egg.

I am putting my pump on tomorrow. Went to a class with the nurse I've been working with and she got orders from my doc to go ahead and put the loaner pump on. Then when my Medicaid starts I will get a new pump. Yay!! I will let you know how it goes. I wish I could put it on tonight. I guess I could without the basal dose activated until tomorrow am. Hmmm.... I just might do that.

FarmerCathy

Love my pump. It's my little buddy. I definitely need to put in a basal change for 4am or just make sure I get a snack for now at 2am to keep my bg at the right place in the am. I guess eventually I will need to change my basal.

aiah23
Love my pump. It's my little buddy. I definitely need to put in a basal change for 4am or just make sure I get a snack for now at 2am to keep my bg at the right place in the am. I guess eventually I will need to change my basal.

Yes you will need to change the basal, and properly sooner rather than later. enjoy your early morning snack now and i'm so glad that the pump transition is working well for you. it gives you the flexibility to change your rates as needed and with immediate results, rather than gradually testing out increases on MDI. It'll help a lot with great control:) Keep up the good work Cathy! I've been low carbing all day until dinner (or rather a single dessert). Did my childbirth class today.

Fawn

FarmerCathy

Thanks! Yeah, I love it!

Birthing classes already? I'm just excited that I can still have my homebirth with my midwife even with the pump. I had a homebirth with my first. Growing up on a farm I think birthing where you feel comfortable comes naturally for me.

aiah23
Thanks! Yeah, I love it!

Birthing classes already? I'm just excited that I can still have my homebirth with my midwife even with the pump. I had a homebirth with my first. Growing up on a farm I think birthing where you feel comfortable comes naturally for me.

My health is good now so I wanted to do it before things got too busy or before I faced any kind of restrictions. Already not feeling well along certain lines and still exhausted a lot (not thyroid related apparently). I also work full time + and have to train my replacements for the 12 weeks I'll be on leave (and I just finished running a workshop and going thru the first part of a gov't audit). So my stress levels are really too high and I can't do anything about it at this point.

Fawn

FarmerCathy

Fawn,

I don't know if you've had your baby or your close, but I now am privy to third trimester highs every couple days. Wow, its crazy. I hope you are doing well.

Cathy

aiah23
Fawn,

I don't know if you've had your baby or your close, but I now am privy to third trimester highs every couple days. Wow, its crazy. I hope you are doing well.

Cathy

Cathy, those 3rd trimester highs can get discouraging, just a heads up! I had Gerry a little over 2 weeks ago via c-section. We are both well but he spent a few days in the NICU b/c of jaundice and thrombocytopenia (low platelet count). No concrete reason other than mine and baby's blood types being incompatible. Will be an issue with future kiddos too b/c of blood types of hubby and me. Recovering nicely from surgery and in love with my beautiful, very little son (he is just now over 6 lbs).

Fawn

FarmerCathy

Aw. Congratulations!! Well, I'm glad you know now that that is something you will need to watch for. I'm glad you and the baby are doing well.

Hugs,

Cathy

FarmerCathy

Fawn,

I know your busy with the new babe and all, but I had a couple questions for you, just answer them when you get a chance. While you were in labor how often did they or you take your bg? And after the birth did your body go to pre-pregnancy insulin requirements?

Hope your getting a little sleep.:)

aiah23
Fawn,

I know your busy with the new babe and all, but I had a couple questions for you, just answer them when you get a chance. While you were in labor how often did they or you take your bg? And after the birth did your body go to pre-pregnancy insulin requirements?

Hope your getting a little sleep.:)

During the induction attempt we checked hourly on my meter, hospital protocol was once every 4 hrs. Was at 25% of basal doses until 2nd day post delivery. Hubby checked me about every 3ish hrs post c-section. insulin requirements did decrease, 1st 2 days after birth required very little but after that my doses ended up decreasing to 50% 3rd trimester levels. figure they'll go back to pre-pregnancy levels once I drop baby wgt but i'm still swollen & retaining fluid. hth!

Fawn

FarmerCathy
During the induction attempt we checked hourly on my meter, hospital protocol was once every 4 hrs. Was at 25% of basal doses until 2nd day post delivery. Hubby checked me about every 3ish hrs post c-section. insulin requirements did decrease, 1st 2 days after birth required very little but after that my doses ended up decreasing to 50% 3rd trimester levels. figure they'll go back to pre-pregnancy levels once I drop baby wgt but i'm still swollen & retaining fluid. hth!

Fawn

Thank you Fawn!! That is very helpful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.