Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FarmerCathy

Nausea and Afternoon to Bedtime numbers

FarmerCathy

Every day around lunch time I start feeling nauseous. From then on until bedtime it gets worse. My numbers are in the 150's no matter what I do during this time frame. I am using a Lantus pen for now and am wondering if I should go up a unit or so in the morning. Will the insulin pump remedy this? It scares me every time I see my numbers in the afternoon. For now my numbers go back down by morning. Anyone have any advice for me?

aiah23
Every day around lunch time I start feeling nauseous. From then on until bedtime it gets worse. My numbers are in the 150's no matter what I do during this time frame. I am using a Lantus pen for now and am wondering if I should go up a unit or so in the morning. Will the insulin pump remedy this? It scares me every time I see my numbers in the afternoon. For now my numbers go back down by morning. Anyone have any advice for me?

It depends. do you have any problems with low blood sugars overnight? If you do, I'm hesitant to say up your basal by a unit. You probably need a bolus insulin to counter those afternoon highs. I also found eating every couple of hours minimized the nausea (it didn't go away but it wasn't as bad as long as I did that). I really like hummus and cucumber chunks but whatever works for you that's low carb for the afternoon I highly recommend it. The insulin pump would help with this b/c you could set your hourly basal rates higher from say an hour before lunch time until about an hour after dinner, etc. You'd be testing a lot to determine your optimal rates on a pump but it may well be worth it. I'm sorry I sure hope your nausea passes quickly. Now I only get it if I wait too long to eat anything.

Fawn

rzrbks

Sounds like it's time for bolus insulin. You might want to have a heart-to-heart with your dr. about adding bolus/fast acting insulin to your routine.

aggie168

That sounds like your are eating too much carbs or if that is not the case, you are ready to supplement your Lantus with Humalog for meal time bolus insulin. I am on a pump with Novolog and you can have multiple basel profile for the 24 hours. :)

FarmerCathy

I was 111 again this am so it must be my afternoon numbers carrying over. I will go up to 12 units and see if that helps until Thursday when I get my pump and I will definitely bolus for the afternoon when I get it. Thanks all, I'm sure I will have more questions when I get my pump. :D

aiah23
I was 111 again this am so it must be my afternoon numbers carrying over. I will go up to 12 units and see if that helps until Thursday when I get my pump and I will definitely bolus for the afternoon when I get it. Thanks all, I'm sure I will have more questions when I get my pump. :D

Cathy, I HIGHLY recommend Pumping Insulin by John Walsh. that totally helped me understand pumping better as well as how to fine tune quick changes (both basal and bolus) and understand better how to match/meet my blood sugars better (this would be indispensible info during pergnancy as well).

Fawn

FarmerCathy

Thank you Fawn. I will run out and get that today. I wanted to come on here and whine a little because I gave myself 12 units this am and I was hungry and starting to feel nauseous and ate a snack an hour after my last one and I'm already to 150. I was so hungry though. Makes me want to cry. I hope I'm not doing any harm to the baby.:bawling:

aiah23
Thank you Fawn. I will run out and get that today. I wanted to come on here and whine a little because I gave myself 12 units this am and I was hungry and starting to feel nauseous and ate a snack an hour after my last one and I'm already to 150. I was so hungry though. Makes me want to cry. I hope I'm not doing any harm to the baby.:bawling:

Yes, those blood sugars are a little higher than we'd all like but your lantus isn't going to handle the food you eat. Getting a pump will allow you to bolus insulin that you'll need before eating, or after pending on your circumstances (especially important with nausea in case it becomes vomitting). That will eliminate those 150s you're worried about. How far along are you in your pregnancy?

Fawn

FarmerCathy

I'm 8 weeks this week. I got back down to 120 after lunch thank goodness, we'll see how it is after this last snack.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.