Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickP

Did anyone read the new Government Dietary Recommendations?

NickP

Now they are claiming it is the excess salt that is causing the obesity epidemic?! They are recommending lower sodium levels by half if you are over 51, African-American, or have high blood pressure, diabetes, or kidney disease (which, as a group, is roughly half of America). For this group, they are recommending that we drop our sodium intake to 1500mg/day.

IMHO, if you eat a LC/HF diet, you don't need to worry about sodium (unless you have other issues). However, if you truly kept your sodium to that level, you probably would actually be forced into eating a somewhat healthier diet. Because, all of the processed foods are heavy with sodium, so by restricting sodium, you are eliminating processed food.

They completely ignored carbohydrate restrictions in the new guidelines (big surprise) by claimng that no new research had proven that carbohydrate restrictions are effective.

OK.....quick poll.......How many of you have tried a low carb lifestyle and low weight? How many of you are able to sustain it?

(IMHO) I think these knuckleheads have missed it again.....but I was not surprised at their announcement.

raffi

I have not read the new guidelines, but they were reporting on them on every news broadcast I heard yesterday. When I was young, I used to use A LOT of salt, but for the last 20+ years, I have used very little. In fact, since I started exercising more, I have had to up my salt intake to help with cramping. As usual, I am pretty much ignoring the government recommendations.

janice21475

Nick, Govt regulations have nothing to do with helping the people, they are only about control and more control. Oh, did I mention it was all about control? As with anything they touch it will turn to crud. They are playing God, with all the EPA and FEMA managements. They have taken food (corn) and turned it into an imperfect fuel that will ruin our engines. They are now harassing the dairy industry over milk spills! EPA to regulate milk spills | Radio Vice Online

And all of this is to take our eyes off the other stuff they do, like leaving our allies to the wolves.

/Rant over

Janice

jwags

I heard that on the news last night. Since my husband has high BP we gave eaten low sodium for 20+ years. But as you said it is the carbs not the salt that makes us unhealthy. Also I would like to see the government take a stand against processed food. The one thing a LC/HF diet has done is make me cook from scratch, so I can control the ingredients including sodium. I also think it is all the other chemicals, HFCS, preservatives and sugar alcohols that they put in processed food that makes the signals in our body go haywire.

Moonpie

25 years ago ( approx) I was told by my Dr to reduce my sodium. I did so, & cooked everything from scratch, ( including chutneys etc) IT did not make one iota of difference to my BP or weight, Therefore I concluded I am not salt sensitive. I read somewhere that only about 10% of the population are salt sensitive ( mostly African Americans). If there is any indication one is salt sensitive, then reduce it, but for the rest of us, pass the salt shaker :) I am so fed up of all the half baked nut ideas that come out.

NickP
Nick, Govt regulations have nothing to do with helping the people, they are only about control and more control. Oh, did I mention it was all about control? As with anything they touch it will turn to crud. They are playing God, with all the EPA and FEMA managements. They have taken food (corn) and turned it into an imperfect fuel that will ruin our engines. They are now harassing the dairy industry over milk spills! EPA to regulate milk spills | Radio Vice Online

And all of this is to take our eyes off the other stuff they do, like leaving our allies to the wolves.

/Rant over

Janice

Hey Janice....I am with. One of my vegan friends was trying to do a victory dance with the new guidelines.....my response to her?

I told her - "If you trust your government and believe that its dietary recommendations are for the best health of its citizens, then by all means, please follow those recommendations."

rzrbks
janice21475

Nick, Govt regulations have nothing to do with helping the people, they are only about control and more control.

You might wat to take a closer look at the corporations. They are the ones buying the scientists and research organs so they can continue to foist off low cost/high profit foods and so that the CEOs can buy new jets and bigger houses. May I suggest Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich remember, the top 3% have only one Moral Imperative --- Make more money, Get richer no matter who dies in the process.

Take the Kochs of Wichita, Ks. Even though they are legally considered a "Small Business", their "Small Business" grossed $100 Billion last year and they, I won't say own, but are very close friends with 2 Supreme Court Justices, several Govenors, at least 7 Senators and many Congresspeople including the New Speaker and his # 2. You might want to see what their "Small Business" controls.

Amazon.com: Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich (9780307339263): Robert Frank: Books

ShireenNS
You might wat to take a closer look at the corporations. They are the ones buying the scientists and research organs so they can continue to foist off low cost/high profit foods and so that the CEOs can buy new jets and bigger houses. May I suggest Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich remember, the top 3% have only one Moral Imperative --- Make more money, Get richer no matter who dies in the process.

Take the Kochs of Wichita, Ks. Even though they are legally considered a "Small Business", their "Small Business" grossed $100 Billion last year and they, I won't say own, but are very close friends with 2 Supreme Court Justices, several Govenors, at least 7 Senators and many Congresspeople including the New Speaker and his # 2. You might want to see what their "Small Business" controls.

Amazon.com: Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich (9780307339263): Robert Frank: Books

Hey Janice....I am with. One of my vegan friends was trying to do a victory dance with the new guidelines.....my response to her?

I told her - "If you trust your government and believe that its dietary recommendations are for the best health of its citizens, then by all means, please follow those recommendations."

I appreciate seeing these responses to this. I too am very skeptical of govt. guidelines in regards to our health and food choices as I know these are motivated by the almighty dollar rather than our well-being. However, if our government promoting less salt gets a few people cutting back, cooking at home, buying less processed foods (giving less $ to the corps bribing our govt agencies), maybe reading a little more too, then GREAT!! I hope that is the ultimate outcome. I hope some people choose to hear it and spend less on fast food and junk, and are able to live healthier as a result... even if they are not salt-sensitive and changing the salt-intake all by itself wouldn't change anything, the less the consumption of the junk-filled profit-oriented garbage we're fed, the better.

jwags

I never add salt to anything. I was doing some low carb baking yesterday and the recipe called for 2 t of baking powder. I looked on the label and 1/8 teaspoon had 135 mg of sodium. That is twice the daily limit of this report. Needless to say I didn't add the salt in the recipe. Everything we eat has sodium, even veggies and it does add up. I think the trick is also to eat double the amount of potassium to neutralise the salt.

Bill_Iowa

Lucky for me, I haven't used much salt since I was a kid (53 now). My wife and I cook a lot from scratch, so it's somewhat easy to control the amount of salt in what we prepare/eat. I was reading somewhere, maybe on this site, that fresh chicken meat might, or perhaps probably, is injected with salt. It's just another thing to watch for on the labels.

I'm new to diabetes (Jan 6, 2011) and the amount of information that needs to be gleaned from reading food labels is overwhelming. It's a good thing that I'm an accountant, so adding the numbers comes somewhat natural to me. :)

jwags

I have just recently switched to organic meats, especially chicken. A lot of the chicken breasts you buy do have a saline solution injected. I use to buy the rotissere chicken from Costco until I found it was loaded with salt and MSG. So now I roast my own. Salt is hiding in all sorts of places.

Moonpie

oh yeah the only chicken we buy is the organic one (smart chicken) & it has no water or anything added. It tastes good too. The store that carries it, also sells them roasted, I haven't bought one yet, but I want to.

jwags

I did the organic turkey this Thanksgiving for the first time. I just lifted the skin and spread it with melted coconut oil and fresh herbs. It tasted so good and I got so many compliments. No more hormone stuffed Butterballs for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.