Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lindsay Stone

diabetes?

duck
Duck, why don't you just make another house call and make her some darn breakfast. :creep: Ok, it's to early for sarcasm.

I'm not even awake yet. This is just someone that looks like me. :coffee:

duck
error, error, error . . . and without even putting any blood on it, it gave me a Lo reading, hehe

Egad. Call the support line, I'd complain bitterly. BIIIIITTTERLY.

duck
210? I think it may just be giving random numbers

What did you eat?

Okay, use the visual thing on the back of the vial, I don't trust this meter. Yell at Roche, tell them you want your $$$ back.

Lindsay Stone

darnit, I threw the strip out. I ate a few eggs, half a bagel, and about two sips of gatorade. Yeah, I don't know about this meter

Dewey
210? I think it may just be giving random numbers

If you are Diabetic, then things like bagels and Gatorade can bring your sugar levels up immensely. But, like Duck, I don't trust the meter, so I'd be skeptical if it even gave the right reading. My suggestion is either read the strip(s) manually, or get a different (better) meter (i.e. Freestyle Flash, currently $28.88 or so, & strips for it are approx. $42.95 for 50, or you can go with the way less expensive Reli-On Ultima, which seems really good/accurate, & is only $8.88 with strips that cost about $21.95 - for 50 strips). The only differences in the above mentioned meters are price, the length of time it takes to get a reading (Flash is only 7 seconds, Ultima is 20), and one (Flash) can be downloaded, whereas the other one (Ultima) cannot. This is something that really needs to be checked into, because if you are Diabetic, you'll want to curb the carbs and the Gatorades until you can be seen by a doctor. I'm not saying you'll never be allowed to eat/drink that kind of stuff again, but if you're Diabetic and have no insulin to cover those foods/drinks, your sugar levels may skyrocket.

tony_acunar

You should just go to the emergency room in a hospital, they will tell u if ur high or not, go 1 hour and a half after u eat lunch or dinner, u know a big normal meal... and thats it. no doubts. i dont think you should wait long to find out because it sounds like uve had high BS for a long time so who knows, when i found out. i just went to the ER and i was going into KETOACIDOSIS both low and high BS are bad i dont ever go to sleep with low BS but anyways if u have insurance a little visit to the ER wont hurt

Lindsay Stone

yeah, I've been getting really low numbers with this meter if I don't eat for a while which is weird. It goes down to 10 and then lower than the meter can read. I don't know what that is, but I think I'll wait until I get insurance next week and then see a doc. I was feeling better earlier today but now I kind of feel like I'm gonna pass out or throw up--I guess I'll found out soon enough, though.

duck
yeah, I've been getting really low numbers with this meter if I don't eat for a while which is weird. It goes down to 10 and then lower than the meter can read. I don't know what that is, but I think I'll wait until I get insurance next week and then see a doc. I was feeling better earlier today but now I kind of feel like I'm gonna pass out or throw up--I guess I'll found out soon enough, though.

Test it! (how many strips do you have left?)

Starlight

If you're diabetic you wouldnt be getting low readings. To get low reading, you need alot of insulin which your not currently taking. The meter is probably reatarded so take it back, get a new one and test.

Lindsay Stone
Test it! (how many strips do you have left?)

It said Lo, which I know is wrong 'cause I had just had a club sandwich with french fries at Denny's a half hour before! It was my third dinner, I sure as heck hope it wasn't low.

Lindsay Stone

I don't really have the money for another meter. I figure I'm probably doing alright since the numbers I have gotten haven't been bad at all, except for the really low ones. I'll guess I'll just check with a doc and then update everyone when I get some news. Until then I'm not gonna worry about it unless I feel really sick.

zookeeper671

Hiya Lindsay~

I was just thinking... years ago before I was diagnosed with T1 (when I had a lot of hypoglycemic episodes) I used a meter that required dropping a blop of blood on top of the strip. I found that if I didn't drop enough blood onto the strip, I'd always get a LO reading. I had to be sure that I totally saturated the little square with blood. Could it be that you're not getting/pricking a large enough sample of blood? :confused: Just wondering.

I'm hoping that you're ok and that a doc will tell you the same. Also hoping that your meter is a bit wacky and that your true readings are in the normal range. Although, if your meter is wacky, that would kind of suck considering how expensive they can be.... :s:

Just plain hoping for the best. :)

Eri's mom

Just a quick question...

Now, if you have a lot of lo's, is that an indicator or maybe developing diabetes or something?

lgvincent

As has been said before, the Reli-On meter from Wal Mart is pretty cheap, but I don't know anything about it, or the meter you are using.

Lindsay Stone
\

years ago before I was diagnosed with T1 (when I had a lot of hypoglycemic episodes) I used a meter that required dropping a blop of blood on top of the strip. I found that if I didn't drop enough blood onto the strip, I'd always get a LO reading. I had to be sure that I totally saturated the little square with blood. Could it be that you're not getting/pricking a large enough sample of blood? :confused: Just wondering.

Is it possible to have hypoglycemic episodes before you're diagnosed with diabetes? I think sometimes you're right, I just don't get enough blood on there, because once I didn't put any blood on there and it said Lo. Other times, though, I get readings of 10 or 12, and then Lo a little while later, so that might be accurate. Basically, I don't get any numbers between 12 and about 100. It's either one or the other, but mostly around 10-12. Like I said, I don't really know what it means, but I do have a doc appointment set for Thursday morning just in case.

duck
Is it possible to have hypoglycemic episodes before you're diagnosed with diabetes? I think sometimes you're right, I just don't get enough blood on there, because once I didn't put any blood on there and it said Lo. Other times, though, I get readings of 10 or 12, and then Lo a little while later, so that might be accurate. Basically, I don't get any numbers between 12 and about 100. It's either one or the other, but mostly around 10-12. Like I said, I don't really know what it means, but I do have a doc appointment set for Thursday morning just in case.

To get enough blood, try this: Before you prick your finger, "milk" it like it was an udder...Your finger should turn nice and red from blood. Heck, I'e made a turniquette in the past to make sure I got enough blood...After you prick it, make sure you get a BIG drop of blood dangling off your finger before you apply it. And, if all else fails, use two fingers (ring and middle) and do the above to both to get enough blood.

Catie and Emily
To get enough blood, try this: Before you prick your finger, "milk" it like it was an udder...Your finger should turn nice and red from blood. Heck, I'e made a turniquette in the past to make sure I got enough blood...After you prick it, make sure you get a BIG drop of blood dangling off your finger before you apply it. And, if all else fails, use two fingers (ring and middle) and do the above to both to get enough blood.

Ive done that before and works very well! But I wonder why I had never thought about it before the day i actually used that method :hmmmm2:

zookeeper671
Just a quick question...

Now' date=' if you have a lot of lo's, is that an indicator or maybe developing diabetes or something?[/quote']

:topic: :embarasse Personally, I haven't a clue. I was having constant hypoglycemic episodes starting as a kid, all the way up until shortly before I was dxd with T1. So... that's over 20 years of bad hypos (which would cause me to feel like slug scum, barfing, going unconscious, etc.) before my pancreas burned out and went kapoot---> :saint:

lgvincent
:topic: :embarasse Personally, I haven't a clue. I was having constant hypoglycemic episodes starting as a kid, all the way up until shortly before I was dxd with T1. So... that's over 20 years of bad hypos (which would cause me to feel like slug scum, barfing, going unconscious, etc.) before my pancreas burned out and went kapoot---> :saint:

I like your signature. I used to joke that I once went overseas when I went to Texas but I guess you've got me beaten.

Eri's mom

Oh boy...I know that feel of slug scum, barfing...feeling like passing out. It's like all the sudden I get shakey and can't eat quick enough...or I get so tired w/ the blurred vision and sorta testy. I was just told to make sure I eat a lot of tiny meals...I'm not really going to worry about it, although if I ever did develop it, I'd feel horrible b/c it would have been me it was handed down from to Eri.(those hypo's started, well, I know in my late teens, but moreso w/ my first pregnancy...w/all 3 I was borderline).(oh, and yes, I've tested my sugar...I usually run in the low 70's, if not lower...that's moreso lately).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.