Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

I need advice from all of you low carbers

MrsMia

Of all my bg numbers my morning ones always seem to be the highest. Nothing seriously out of whack but ones I would like to work on lowering more if it is possible. Usually they average from the low 90's to the low 100's. No higher than 104. However, (isn't there always a 'however' or a 'but') every now and then I will get a high number such as this morning which was a 116. No explanation. No overeating the night before with carbs. Just a strange out of normal number.

So I have two questions that I would like to hear your opinions on. The first is, if you got a number that is high in the morning, would you cut back on your usual breakfast or eat the one you always do (very low carb) every day?

The second question is, what can I do to bring down those morning numbers where they are consistently in the 90's and even 80's if possible? Thanks all.:)

foxl

90's or 80's ... those were the DAYS!

I had the best luck with not eating AT ALL after 6 pm. Unfortunately.

I found eating in the morning helped it down, too.

MCS

Not sure if I understand, I am happy to be in the 80-90 range in the morning. 116 not so much. Not sure when your DP hits you, mine is late morning after I awake. One thing which has nothing to do with eating so much as testing in the morniing. I can change my reading by as much as 20-30 pts at times just by simply washing my hands with as hot a water as I can stand and massaging my hands before I test. Some reason blood will pool up in my fingers and if I get the blood moving before I test it seems to give me a repeatable number. Be it high or low, its repeatable.

NickP
Of all my bg numbers my morning ones always seem to be the highest. Nothing seriously out of whack but ones I would like to work on lowering more if it is possible. Usually they average from the low 90's to the low 100's. No higher than 104. However, (isn't there always a 'however' or a 'but') every now and then I will get a high number such as this morning which was a 116. No explanation. No overeating the night before with carbs. Just a strange out of normal number.

So I have two questions that I would like to hear your opinions on. The first is, if you got a number that is high in the morning, would you cut back on your usual breakfast or eat the one you always do (very low carb) every day?

The second question is, what can I do to bring down those morning numbers where they are consistently in the 90's and even 80's if possible? Thanks all.:)

Hey Mia....your numbers look great!

First, for me, my morning number is driven by two things -1. the number I have at bedtime 2. the amount of exercise I got the night before.

Usually the better the number at bedtime, the better the wake-up number. (seems a little obvious....)

If I manage my carbs and exercise, I normally have a great wake-up number. When I eat well and do not exercise, my morning numbers creep up.

So, to answer your first question. When my morning reading is a little higher, I eat the same. I eat a very low carb breakfast as quickly as possible, and I am even more careful about my carbs the rest of the day.

jwags

My morning numbers vary from high 70's to low 100's. I wish they were the exact same every morning but they aren't. First of all meters all have a 10-20% margin of error. Second, our hormones may kick in differently on different days affecting our fasting bgs. Also I notice you are only taking 1000 mg of metformin, is the right. You might try asking doctor to increase the dosage to see if that lowers you a touch. I had to fight with my doctor to raise it. He was afraid I would go too low. Also I take my metformin 3 times a day, with one dose right before bed, and another right when I wake up and the last sometime late morning. It has helped me a little, but as I said my numbers aren't really consistent.

janice21475

My husband does better in the AM if he gets a good low carb/no carb high fat snack before bed time. Such as scrambled eggs or french toast with WalMart Sugar Free Syrup (Taste tested to be THE BEST available anywhere, just ask my husband).

BreaKfast is always very low carb - 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil and 1 slice Nature's Own 8 carb bread with lots of Sweet Cream Unsalted Butter and 2 cups of coffee with Splenda and 1 teaspoon Heavy Whipping Cream.

Mia, you are in a lot of pain and that can raise your BG so on days you can't account for the higher #'s keep a diary and see if it wasn't a day of more pain.

Hope you get some good clues in this thread,

Janice

MrsMia
My morning numbers vary from high 70's to low 100's. I wish they were the exact same every morning but they aren't. First of all meters all have a 10-20% margin of error. Second, our hormones may kick in differently on different days affecting our fasting bgs. Also I notice you are only taking 1000 mg of metformin, is the right. You might try asking doctor to increase the dosage to see if that lowers you a touch. I had to fight with my doctor to raise it. He was afraid I would go too low. Also I take my metformin 3 times a day, with one dose right before bed, and another right when I wake up and the last sometime late morning. It has helped me a little, but as I said my numbers aren't really consistent.

I was on 2000 mg of metformin but my endo cut it in half when I saw him in November. He said that as a person gets thinner the metformin works less efficiently. Plus he told me to give it 2 or 3 months to see if my numbers are affected much. I would have to say overall they appear to be pretty much flat except for that stray higher morning number. I go to see him next month and have my A1c tested. Depending on the A1c, maybe he will up my dosage again.

jwags

I've tried cutting one of my doses of metformin, but my bgs always spike so I go back to the 3 a day. I hadn't heard that as you got thinner it was less efficient. My doc didn't even want to up mine from 1700 to 2550 because he thought it wouldn't be effective. But it really did give me the boost I needed without adding another drug like Januvia. If possible I want to stay on the cheap generic drugs. I know everyone is different but I find if I eat dinner kind of late around 7:30, I get my best numbers the next morning. If I don't eat enough, then my bgs will be higher the next morning. Also if I eat a late night snack after 9 pm my bgs are higher. It is like a big jigsaw puzzle trying to find the missing pieces. If I am under 100 I am pretty happy. If I am really low in the 70's then I will have toast with breakfast otherwise I have bran crackers with almond butter and sf jam or bacon and eggs. Sometimes I will even eat leftover meat and veggies from dinner. I make a big batch of Shiratake noodles with veggies and peanut sauce and keep it in the fridge. I scoop some out for breakfast or lunch. That will usually send my bgs down not up after a meal.

Abra

jwags, would you be so kind as to put your recipe for fridge-storeable shiratake with veggies and peanut sauce in the recipe forum? I've been eating shiratake off and on, but I just invested in a huge box of Miracle Noodles and want to test out the BG-lowering claim.

Moonpie

I find an early morning snack works for me. If I get up at 2 or 3 am or even as late as 5am, to use the rest room, I will then go & eat a slice of cheese with a cracker or a spoon of peanut butter. Or whatever is available. This took alot of tries for me to find what worked, I tried the vinegar & flax seed at bedtime etc, but this seems to help keep my numbers lower than if I do not eat the snack.

CarboWarrior

Everybody is different, but if your numbers are good b/f bed, the only reason they can be high in the AM is b/c of your liver! Several factors:

When did you eat last? A low carb/high fat snack b/f bed might help.

when did you excersize last? your body might be screaming for liver dump about 4-5 AM.

Some tricks:

I take 5mg glipizide at bedtime, and leave a pill out by my sink. when I get up to use the restroom (hopefully between 3-5 AM), I take this pill.

I have not tried, but you might try a quick low carb/high fat snack at 3-5 AM.

Everyone is different, and you need to experiment with everyone's advice and find what works for you.

Best of luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.