Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bray1

Fixing to start the pump

Bray1

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone has had any big problems at the beginning of using the pump, or suggestions to get started with. My son has been on Lantus/Novolog since onset last year. We have decided to try to get better control and hoping the pump will help with that, he is very active and the Lantus variance makes it crazy to keep up with his up and down time.

Thanks!

Richard157

You can program varying basal rates throughout the day and night with a pump. Using "basal testing" you can stabilize the blood sugar much better than with injections. It can take a lot of learning and a lot of time to get things going smoothly. I hope you have a good pump trainer. A CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) trained me. She took it slow and easy and scheduled 4 sessions with one week between sessions. It is also important to have good numbers when you get started. A log or chart showing your son's daily test numbers throughout the day and night will be needed. take it slow and be patient. Don't expect all the problems you are having now to be solved at the start. The pump does not solve any problems unless it is programmed with the right data and then adjusted appropriately. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh is excellent. I bought mine from amazon.com. In the meantime study the pump manual and any information available online. Happy pumping!

jeepers

Hi Bray1 -

I am curious to see how you are making out with this. my 12yo DD is newly diagnosed on Lantus and Novalog and VERY active. I am most likely eventually making the switch to pump only because of the activity, but I know nothing about it at this point. It just seems to be the way everyone is going with high or long strides of activity. Any input you have is greatly appreciated. I hope the switch was a positive one and you are settling in with the numbers.

D.

jeepers

WTG!!!! Amazing.

You can program varying basal rates throughout the day and night with a pump. Using "basal testing" you can stabilize the blood sugar much better than with injections. It can take a lot of learning and a lot of time to get things going smoothly. I hope you have a good pump trainer. A CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) trained me. She took it slow and easy and scheduled 4 sessions with one week between sessions. It is also important to have good numbers when you get started. A log or chart showing your son's daily test numbers throughout the day and night will be needed. take it slow and be patient. Don't expect all the problems you are having now to be solved at the start. The pump does not solve any problems unless it is programmed with the right data and then adjusted appropriately. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh is excellent. I bought mine from amazon.com. In the meantime study the pump manual and any information available online. Happy pumping!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.