Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

2-year D-versary, T1.5

foxl

So here it is nearly 2 yrs after I went into DKA. I now have both basal and rapid insulin at my disposal.

But I remember how suspicious I was of the original Type 2 diagnosis, 3 oral medications, and low-fat diet blarney. What if I had done as prescribed??? If I had gone along nodding like a good girl, swallowed all the meds and carbed up, accordingly?

If I had not read and read and read, asked questions, argued and scrapped .... and been suspicious, screwed up my courage over and over, and asked for GAD-65 testing?

Well ... I suspect at first I would have felt like it was a personal failure -- my fault that doing things the docs' way would not work for me ... then I imagine at some point I would discover the GAD testing availability -- and then, I would have been FURIOUS with the medical establishment for having failed to help and support me!

As it is, so far the worst things have gotten is one A1c of 6.3 ... and growing complacency as my numbers rose and there was not much I could do to help them. As it is, I now have to deliberately remind myself -- I CAN correct highs, I can prevent highs -- it is now all up to me! At last.

aggie168

Congrats. This week is also 9 years DX of me. Went through the first 5 years as a so-so diabetic. Take my medicine and go on with my life. Then I finally try to do better and it goes no where for 2+ years. Then finally make up my mind and switch to insulin only and drop all other oral medications related to diabetes. Yes, my Endo is on board with the idea but he still thinks I have some mileage on oral only.

Today I am happy with my a1c. I can eat "mostly" what I like and when I like. I am not bounded to a meal schedule anymore. However, I am hyper-aware on what I put in my mouth as I have to bolus for it. No more cheating. No more Metformin moments. ;)

jwags

This coming week is 4 years for me. It has been ups and downs but I am glad to say I am pretty much in control, now. But as with everything else I am always waiting for the next shoe to drop.

jenb

Happy D-day Linda. I think you and I joined DF right around the same time and I've followed your saga with great respect for your persistance and inquisitive nature. How great that you finally have the flexibility of including both types of insulin in your treatment regimen; I can't imagine travelling this road without it.

Here's to many happy years, and many more low carb recipes, my little Guru!!!!

Jen

foxl

Thanks Aggie, thanks Jen!

Jen I made a nice flax focaccia / pizza for dinner -- just cheese and onions -- YUMMY! No bolus, even ... hope that works out ...

foxl

AND furthermore ... I was thinking of psychological impact. Wonder if I would've had another DKA episode??? Of course they MIGHT have decided to look deeper then ... or NOT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.