Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCAPER

Alternatives to Statins???

SCAPER

I'm sure like a lot of overweight diabetics, I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol too. So one of the drugs I've been taking for the last 16 months is a Statin drug; Simvastatin.

Recently, I started having some serious muscle pain for no good reason. As if I had fibromyalgia or something. Since there was really no good reason for me to have this persistent muscle pain, I started to suspect it was a side effect of one of my meds. Once I started looking more closely to the side effects of the meds I took, it seemed likely that it was probably the Statin, if it was anything.

So I talked to my Endo and she immediately took me off that drug as well as my metformin for a day (just in case it was some sort of kidney problem) and had me come in to have some labs done.

All of the liver and kidney function labs came back just fine. So thankfully, I can continue taking Metformin, which has really been a huge help in controlling my blood sugars.

But, she said, I do have some muscle damage due to the Simvastatin and I can never take that drug again. She said we need to talk more in person about what I might take in the future, for that, if anything.

So until I meet with her, I'm wondering, what are the alternatives to statins? I know about the benefits of Omega 3 oil. I do take a very good brand of that once or twice a day, especially with meals that have more cholesterol. But other than that, are there any other Rx that help with cholesterol other than statins? What are my options?

The bad news is the Simvastatin had done a GREAT job at controlling my cholesterol levels. A year ago they were high and now they are totally in the normal range. So I'm sad that I can't take this anymore.

jwags

I was on pravarastatin for just over a year. I guess I had a lot of aches and pains throughout the year but I blamed them on over exercising or artritis or old age. Then last spring I got the flu with all the muscle aches. My doc thought they were a side effect of the flu and subsequent sinus infection. Well, the muscle aches increased and I felt like I aged 10 years in a few weeks. I stopped the statin in August and most of my muscles are now starting to rebuild. I still have some problems in the shoulder joints but that could be due to something else. My doctor told me I shouldn't take statins, either. He told me to take CoQ10, so I do take 200-400 mg most days. I also take fish oil. I know some take Naicin but that also raises bgs, so be careful. I wished I had stopped the statins sooner. I think the worst effect was a total brain fog. I really thought I was losing it.

cls

I was put on Zocor as soon as my total cholesterol hit 200, I was 45. Gradually, over a few years, I developed aches and pains as well as tendon issues. My doc attributed these problems to my repetitive job and "getting older." When he started prescribing physical therapy for my shoulder problems and tennis elbow, I always got worse, I also had 3 cortisone shots in my elbow and some in my shoulder and my left knee. At one point, the Zocor was changed to generic simvastin. My dosage was never higher than 10 mg tablets. The pain from the last round of P/T was diagnosed by my therapist as bicepital tendonitis, which I didn't have before, lasted 3 months after P/T was finished and I had quit my job. My doc diagnosed it as myositis (inflammation of the muscles.) When I asked about the statin causing the muscle and tendon pain, because the Lipitor commercials warn that this "could be the sign of a rare but serious side effect) I was allowed to stop the statin, and the pain went away in 3 days. Just listen to the Lipitor and Crestor commercials and all the side effects and think again about taking any statins, they all do pretty much the same thing.

At my last checkup, my doc said he wanted me to start taking a statin again, and I said, no way. He said I should take Red Yeast Rice, but that is the ingredient in statins and I would probably have the same side effect. It has taken over 4 years to get my muscles near normal. I also take CoQ10. Statins deplete the body of CoQ10 which is needed for muscle tissue repair.

You could also tried Flax Seed Oil Capsules, they are a good source of omega 3.

Connie

art

Been there done that with the statins.

Frankly I don't care where my blood goo builds to.

I will never take a statin again.

for me fish oil was a waste of time. Took Lavaza.

I'll just watch what I eat, sort of.

Art

notme

I struggled with muscle pain and depression while on Lipitor. I took myself off the drug and will never go back no matter what the numbers are in my blood test. Luckily, there doesn't appear to be any residual damage. My doctor was pushing me to go back on statins and wanted me to try a new one. I refused. He did a CRP test and I had no inflammation and my HDL was 106. He gave up and knows that it isn't going to happen.

I eat raw almonds, cranberry (lite) juice and eat fairly low carb. I attribute my high HDL to eating that way.

jwags

I told a good friend of mine about my problems with statins and she told her cardiologist. He basicaly told her no one gets severe muscle pains and the little bit of aches and pains we should be able to put up with. Well, I tried to tell he my muscle pain was not a little pain. I felt like my body was slowly dying. I used to do yoga a lot and always considered myself quite flexible. I could barely cross my legs, because the tendons in my hips were so inflammed. I do think this is a much bigger problem than is reported. I wonder if diabetics have more of a problem than non diabetics because it seems like lots of us have problems. I am also one with high HDL-89 which attributes to a higer overall total cholesterol. I refuse to go on any type of statin .

art

Your friends cardiologist is an idiot.

Any Doctor and the manufacturer will tell you if you take statins and get muscle cramps or pains... STOP

Don't even call your doctor first .... STOP.

The heart is a muscle.

Art

cls

I think my mom's cardiologist is also an idiot. I went through all that muscle and tendon pain I mentioned above.

My mom had muscle pains and a rheumy she went to tested her CPK, which is an enzyme associated with muscle damage, and it was elevated so she quit the Lipitor 40 mg she was taking. When she went to her cardio, she told him about the muscle pain and elevated CPK and how she was afraid the Lipitor would damage her heart cause the heart is a muscle. The cardio said "it's a different kind of muscle." What a bunch of ****.

I've read that the number of cases of heart failure and cardiomyopathy have increased greatly in the 30 years or so that statins have been on the market. This is due to the CoQ10 defiencies caused by the statins.

Connie

Larry H.

This is quite timely for me also.. I was put on statins probably 8 years ago at a level of 80Mg which is probably the maximum.. I took that for years and had cut to about half that amount of lovastatin about a year or more ago. I have found my self as others starting to think I am really geting old. I used to walk for my half hour with no problems. Now often my legs feel so tired I can hardly move. I have that shoulder pains, lower back pains, memory loss, depression, extreme tiredness. I went to the doctor and he said to stop taking them and we would see where the cholesterol levels go.. I did that for a couple days then looked on line and discovered tons of warnings about stopping them.. 4 times the level of heart attacks and strokes! Two weeks after stopping your body is flooded with the icky stuff that can cause immediate danger from clogging. Plus something I didn't realize is that the statins are supposed to keep your arteries flexible and get ridge again when you quit.. NOT news I wanted to read. So now I am tapering off as much as I want to just quit, but I am concerned about a total removal even though I see lots of people who said they have.

I have spent the past couple days trying to find some alternative products to take to help with the overall heart and artery health. What to believe, you see so many that people say are wonders, but the internet is full of misinformation so I am having trouble figuring out what to take. I do see that CQ10 is a good thing to use which I had ordered and I also got some Revestrol which is the product of grapes that supposedly has the benefits of wine or grape juice in keeping arteries in better shape. But I would like to find something with multiple ingredients that is worth taking, but what?

I know one thing, like everyone else I can not return to statins once I get totally off them. I feel like someone twice my age and that has been getting steadily worse.

Larry

Funnygrl

My cholesterol creeped just a bit beyond where I was comfortable with it. I started taking OTC Fish Oil, whatever brand. My numbers are seriously fab now. I couldn't believe the difference. If they were to get back, I'd start with Lovaza.

Larry H.

All well and good for some, but when you get to the point where it might literally kill you, its time to give it up.. Too bad there are so many positive articles about it and thousands of people on the net that had horrific results using it. Most all alternative doctors are against the use of it saying the risk out weigh the benefits.. I realized that for many it may be wonderful, but if your body rejects it it leaves you in a place you don't want to be.

xMenace

If you believe that cholesterol is what's causing all our chd, then you might be in a quandry. However, if you think inflammation is the key driver, then work on those inflammatory pressures. I've chosen to do so by eating HFLC with no gluten or sugar, very little frutose, and very little lactose. One key test is the CR-P which measures inflammation.

It is suspected that stains actually help us by lowering inflamation. This makes some sense because their effects are immediate -- endolethium is shown to be more flexible within 3 days of starting. It also takes years for cholesterol reduction to have any effect on plaque buildup -- think about that.

Larry H.

From what I read that is the main purpose and benefit of statins is to reduce the inflammation. That is why I am trying to figure out if there are really any alternative products that could do similar things.. The grape juice or wine evidently have some of those properties, but granted statins play a role, its just that they are not tolerated by many people and cause a great deal of trouble.

Delphinus
Your friends cardiologist is an idiot.

Any Doctor and the manufacturer will tell you if you take statins and get muscle cramps or pains... STOP

Don't even call your doctor first .... STOP.

The heart is a muscle.

Art

I agree. I loathe doctors who are like this. These are not intelligent people at all, this type. I was arguing with a doctor over my vision problems on an MD forum. They were all sticking up for each other instead of addressing the concerns of regular people who go there for information.

I am stopping the Crestor today. I am tired of the mobility issues I get while on it. I stopped for a month once, and I felt great. No issues walking at all, now I am back to how I was before. Can barely walk 20 feet without having to stop and rest. After voicing my concerns, they raised my dose. Morons. They just wanna sell you things and line their wallets. My BP was never high and I have good cholesterol numbers.

Doctors need to understand, that while their patients don't have medical degrees, we do know our bodies. Alot of us can even troubleshoot our bodies. Like myself. I take a technicians approach and diagnose my issues the same way. You don't need to be a doctor to work some things out when it comes to your own body.

Delphinus
My cholesterol creeped just a bit beyond where I was comfortable with it. I started taking OTC Fish Oil, whatever brand. My numbers are seriously fab now. I couldn't believe the difference. If they were to get back, I'd start with Lovaza.

Is there a certain brand and type I should be looking for when buying it?

Is a certain fishes oil better, and how many mg/day?

mason330

I dont know if this will help with the BP but it will with the high cholesterol. Mine was 211 and the doc said if it didnt come down I would have to"take another pill" which I am against. My business partner said he dropped his cholesterol 50 points in 3 months by eating oatmeal everyday. What the hey i'll try it and i knocked my numbers to 140 in 2 months. Yes oatmeal is awful but I mix splenda and fruit in it. Funny thing is I was at the pub last night talking with a doctor I know and asked him about it he said it works but it is much easier to tell someone to take a pill than to convince them to eat oatmeal everyday! Seriously? Yes seriously!

I did the instant and still do, though they tell you to do the real stuff! What could it possibly hurt?

robcobb70

Cocoa. Hershey's natural unsweetened cocoa. A study conducted in Japan proved that cocoa helps to increase HDL and decrease LDL cholesterol. I was already consuming it in my plain nonfat yogurt sweetened with stevia when I received an email about the research. 2 days later my lab work arrived in the email including my lipid panel: total cholesterol 153, LDL 59, HDL 87, Triglycerides 36. I also strenuously exercise nearly every day so that definitely helps, too. Years ago I had high cholesterol and triglycerides, but that's been over with for quite a while now. The yogurt tastes a lot like chocolate pudding and cocoa is high in soluble fiber and anti-oxidants. I'm eating more than an 8 oz container per week and loving every spoonful of it. You can also add a pinch of cherry kool-aid powder to give it a twist. Try it... and exercise, too.

Daytona

I was able to bring my cholesterol down (and my HDL up) by following a low carbohydrate diet and taking fish oil capsules. I took the fish oil for 6 months then was able to stop taking them and keep my #'s looking good.

I don't know if it matters which kind you take? However, I do recommend keeping the bottle in the freezer, helps to avoid the dreaded "fishy burps". :)

ShottleBop
I dont know if this will help with the BP but it will with the high cholesterol. Mine was 211 and the doc said if it didnt come down I would have to"take another pill" which I am against. My business partner said he dropped his cholesterol 50 points in 3 months by eating oatmeal everyday. What the hey i'll try it and i knocked my numbers to 140 in 2 months. Yes oatmeal is awful but I mix splenda and fruit in it. Funny thing is I was at the pub last night talking with a doctor I know and asked him about it he said it works but it is much easier to tell someone to take a pill than to convince them to eat oatmeal everyday! Seriously? Yes seriously!

I did the instant and still do, though they tell you to do the real stuff! What could it possibly hurt?

Depends on what oatmeal does to your BGs.

sweetstar

This is a general question for everyone but I hope jwags responds because she has posted about this alot.

I am taking Crestor and haven't had any problems.

I have started taking fish oil, Omega 3.

Recently I have noticed a different kind of muscle pain and am hoping it is just from Curves workouts.

What does the pain from statins feel like? I am having something other than a normal. Occasionally I feel a sharp, heat ache.

I know that sounds a little contradictary but I don't know how else to describe it.

Any insight is appreciated.

ant hill
My business partner said he dropped his cholesterol 50 points in 3 months by eating oatmeal everyday. What the hey i'll try it and i knocked my numbers to 140 in 2 months. Yes oatmeal is awful but I mix splenda and fruit in it. Funny thing is I was at the pub last night talking with a doctor I know and asked him about it he said it works but it is much easier to tell someone to take a pill than to convince them to eat oatmeal everyday! Seriously? Yes seriously!

OK, It's the stuff that most of us will avoid is oatmeal (Porrage to the UK) But like you Mason I will add honey and chocolate powder and even some raisins in as whell.

Now you are all thinking CARBS!!!! :eek::eek: OK, go and walk or ride a bike and use the exercise machines. You don't have to eat that much!! just do this in a regular breakfast. Consistency is the key!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.