Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCAPER

Alternatives to Statins???

Larry H.

As to one of the previous questions on symptoms. I found that over time I got very tired, confused, didn't want to do any thing, and nearly everything made my legs, arms, back, next and shoulders sore feeling and the feeling didn't go away. I had been on the statins for at least 7 years or more by the time I finally had enough. I would question just plain stopping from all the reports of serious issues when stopping them abruptly. I am hoping that the fact that I have generally lowered my readings to acceptable levels that I may not be as subject to them as the articles all say, but I still decided on my own to reduce the amounts taken slowly to help prevent a sudden shock to the system. I have been off of them now for a week just about. I do feel a bit odd and tired, I have read it will do that. Stopping suddenly according to everything I have read can lead to a huge dump of bad cholesterol into the system in around two weeks an in some people it causes strokes and heart attacks. I don't like the numbers shown of an 88 percent higher death rate among people that quit taking them either. I can only hope that though increased exercise and watching what I eat I can avoid the problems these drugs have caused both while on them and no off of them..

Alan Foster

well i for one cant believe i'm reading all this, my doctor is getting both barrels when i see him later today. i have been lethargic for ages, with muscles cramps sore tendons, tennis elbow in both arms, basically thinking about it these tablets have been slowly killing me since i went on them 3 years ago, the problems now with lose of strength are so severe that i have had to start researchnig this myself to find an answer.

so side effects on the simvastatin packet state, dont give to anyone who is a heavy alcohol drinker, well im not heavy but moderate, then it says anyone with kidney disease, i have had protein in my urine for 12 months now(but the doctors got his eye on it).

if it is this simvastatin and this is what it does to people then why don't doctors make you more aware of the side effects, and how they can creep up on you.

i have stopped taking it for about 4 days now, and i have noticed a slight increase in energy and i am sleeping better, but the muscle damage bit is whats worrying me, will it come back my strength i am as weak as a kitten.

Alan

TX_Clint
well i for one cant believe i'm reading all this, my doctor is getting both barrels when i see him later today. i have been lethargic for ages, with muscles cramps sore tendons, tennis elbow in both arms, basically thinking about it these tablets have been slowly killing me since i went on them 3 years ago, the problems now with lose of strength are so severe that i have had to start researchnig this myself to find an answer.

so side effects on the simvastatin packet state, dont give to anyone who is a heavy alcohol drinker, well im not heavy but moderate, then it says anyone with kidney disease, i have had protein in my urine for 12 months now(but the doctors got his eye on it).

if it is this simvastatin and this is what it does to people then why don't doctors make you more aware of the side effects, and how they can creep up on you.

i have stopped taking it for about 4 days now, and i have noticed a slight increase in energy and i am sleeping better, but the muscle damage bit is whats worrying me, will it come back my strength i am as weak as a kitten.

Alan

I'd tell the doctor to keep his eyes to himself and work on giving me proper treatment. No amount of 'watching' will help you.

I had the same weakness and pain etc.. and found that eating LCHF had the biggest impact on improving my conditions. I couldn't walk a mile 2 years ago. Now I often walk a mile each way to go to lunch and think nothing of it.

Now I've also read that the Omega 3 gel tabs that so many take aren't very effective. The best method studies show is to act Catholic even if your not and eat fish every Friday minimum. That will do it for most.

The best to you all!

Clint

OH, your middle name wouldn't be Dean by any chance.

CandaceV

I was on Questran for nearly 10 years after my gall bladder removal, for chronic severe diarrhea, which I now know was related to my diet. I had such awful muscle aches I spent most of my time in bed when I wasn't working. My doctor said to take OTC ibuprofen, which I did.

Then in June, 2011, I was diagnosed with diabetes and went on Atkins, which I'm still on 2-1/2 years later. I went to the pharmacy to buy a meter and talked to the pharmacist about my awful muscle pain. He said it was from the Questran, I probably wouldn't need it after a few months on Atkins, and boy was he right. I felt 25 again after a few months off it, and the diarrhea went away on low carb.

Fast forward to last Fall when I was put on Fosinopril for kidney protection and borderline HBP. The muscle pain returned with a vengance, so my pharmacist said to switch to irbesartan or that class of drug if my doctor agreed. I went to the doctor and insisted on it and she did agree.

The lesson I learned from this is not to discuss drugs with doctors, but with pharmacists. Pharmacists aren't influenced by drug reps. I've explained this to my doctor that all of the information about drugs she wants to prescribe for me will first be discussed with my pharmacist. Period. The only drug I'm on right now is the irebsartan because I have a tiny bit of albumen in my urine and want to avoid kidney disease for as long as possible.

GrammaBear
I was on Questran for nearly 10 years after my gall bladder removal, for chronic severe diarrhea, which I now know was related to my diet. I had such awful muscle aches I spent most of my time in bed when I wasn't working. My doctor said to take OTC ibuprofen, which I did.

Then in June, 2011, I was diagnosed with diabetes and went on Atkins, which I'm still on 2-1/2 years later. I went to the pharmacy to buy a meter and talked to the pharmacist about my awful muscle pain. He said it was from the Questran, I probably wouldn't need it after a few months on Atkins, and boy was he right. I felt 25 again after a few months off it, and the diarrhea went away on low carb.

Fast forward to last Fall when I was put on Fosinopril for kidney protection and borderline HBP. The muscle pain returned with a vengance, so my pharmacist said to switch to irbesartan or that class of drug if my doctor agreed. I went to the doctor and insisted on it and she did agree.

The lesson I learned from this is not to discuss drugs with doctors, but with pharmacists. Pharmacists aren't influenced by drug reps. I've explained this to my doctor that all of the information about drugs she wants to prescribe for me will first be discussed with my pharmacist. Period. The only drug I'm on right now is the irebsartan because I have a tiny bit of albumen in my urine and want to avoid kidney disease for as long as possible.

I, too, was on Questran for a long time. The doctor I had at that time turned a 'deaf' ear to my complaints about having muscle aches. Since my cholesterol was high, he insisted I continue taking it. Eventually I changed doctors and found one who listened to what I was saying in regard to the muscle pain. I'm glad you posted about Questran.

How did you get so lucky to find a pharmacist that would have time to discuss your medications?

CandaceV

Hi, I use an independently owned pharmacy that I've been using for over 20 years, I know them and they know me. I just wish I had the conversation about muscle pain with him a lot sooner than I did. They always make the time to answer my questions. I would never get that at Rite Aid or Walgreen's. They cost a little more on non-generics, but it's worth it to me.

I, too, was on Questran for a long time. The doctor I had at that time turned a 'deaf' ear to my complaints about having muscle aches. Since my cholesterol was high, he insisted I continue taking it. Eventually I changed doctors and found one who listened to what I was saying in regard to the muscle pain. I'm glad you posted about Questran.

How did you get so lucky to find a pharmacist that would have time to discuss your medications?

tulsapharmacist

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Simvastatin. It sounds as if you may have experienced a rare, but serious side effect called Rhabomyolysis which causes muscle breakdown. There are a few alternatives to statin therapy. Some of these alternatives are:

Bile Acid Sequestrants - Example: Welchol (Colesevelam)

Nicotinic Acids - Example: Niaspan

Fibrates - Examples: Gemfibrozil or Fenofibrate - These are drugs are more for Triglycerides lowering rather than your bad cholesterol (LDL). They can also cause muscle pain (myopathy).

ant hill
The best method studies show is to act Catholic even if your not and eat fish every Friday minimum. That will do it for most.

Well this is good as foods are better than said drugs. I eat the Canned Sardines with Tomato Sauce, Not as like the Ketchup that we see and there's the Prawns in Garlic. :T:cool:

I have stopped the Satins now 4 or more Years ago and stopped the Coumadin as whell as I also suffered cramps and walking was very slow. I have also changed doctors too and he said to take the Vitamin D, That has settled my legs!!!!!! :) and sleep also improved too. ;) Bike riding also is a thing that I do as whell as my legs are quite sound whell. Food is the key with exercise. ;):)

GrammaBear
Hi, I use an independently owned pharmacy that I've been using for over 20 years, I know them and they know me. I just wish I had the conversation about muscle pain with him a lot sooner than I did. They always make the time to answer my questions. I would never get that at Rite Aid or Walgreen's. They cost a little more on non-generics, but it's worth it to me.

Walgreen's is the place where I have to go as that is the only pharmacy in town except for WalMart and as busy as they are, you stand in line just to get your Rx - never mind getting to talk to the Pharmacist. But you are right, Walgreen's does not have time to talk to people - at least not in my town.

Bikerdoc

Users of Statin drugs who experience side affects need to know that a statin is a statin and it doesn't matter what statin drug you take; you're allergic. Even over the counter drugs (cholestoff) that have fluvostatin will cause side affects.

My cardiologist kept giving me one statin after another until I just fired the guy. I went to my family doctor and he put me on Zetia instead and was visibly upset that my cardiologist was pushing the statin despite my reactions to it. It decreases cholesterol absorption in the liver. Zetia reduces cholesterol but that's all. It doesn't necessarily improve outcomes of cardiovascular disease. It does improve LDL levels however. My cholesterol levels are super. But I watch what I eat which is hard being a diabetic as well.

oldtimer

Statins work well.  My wife has your same problem.  She is now taking a shortlived staten at night.  You could even try cutting your symstatin dose way down then taking it before you go to bed.  Statins work while you sleep.  What my wife takes is almost gone by the time she wakes up.  Her body is statin free for most of her waking hrs.  She doesn;t get that joint pain any more.

ant hill

You could even try cutting your symstatin dose way down then taking it before you go to bed.  Statins work while you sleep.

Well that's interesting as no wonder my Cramps wake me up in the morning. What ever happened to that Alarm Clock??? I'd rather that to wake me, Not Cramps!!!!!! :rolleyes:

jwags

My muscle pain started out like Fibromyalgia. All my joints and muscles had a dull ache. At first my doctor said it was the flu. He didn't even consider that it was the statin drug. I also noticed a lot of ankle swelling when I travelled. Then the Brain Fog started. i would be driving somewhere and totally forget how to get to somewhere I had been one thousand times. I was just turning 60 and felt 90. I had a new appreciation for old people who complain all the time. I had 0 energy and went from a very athletic person to a couch potato. I also went from 125 pounds, a good weight for me to 110 pounds, a walking skeleton. When I started to research and realized my muscles were being ravaged I stopped the statins. the pain went away but my muscles have never recovered. I was able to gain back about 5-8 pounds but can't get back to 120.

pat593

I was put on a statin - took one with dinner and the next morning could not walk down the stairs.  The muscle ache - bone ache - whatever you call it was severe.  I stopped and never looked back.

I believe the first thing to try is diet and getting your blood sugars under control.  I also believe regular exercise and stretching your body reguarly like in Yoga also helps - sounds silly but maybe it does help your circulation. 

Good luck.  Interesting to hear what other's have gone through.

ant hill

OK, I see there's a big talk about what Statins do and of course we hate them. So what to do?

Well I have done some googling and found this.

Keep the Flavor, Lose the Cholesterol

With this, emphasize on freshness!!!! Not kept in a can bag or similar.

This is a good guide towards replacing the Statins, Also some good Cardio Exercsice!!!! Ladies & Gentlemen Please do this as Food is far better than Painful Statins. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.