Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SusanMatt

Vegetables: is a carb just a carb?

SusanMatt

Hi

I'm newly diagnosed and doing a lot of reading and learning.

My current question: Is a carb just a carb for most of you and how you react to them, or are the carbs in some vegetables any less effecting on blood sugar levels? I know YMMV, and I'll test against some for myself, but I was curious about how most people react. For instance, do carrots and onions send your BG soaring?

Background: I've only been on Metformin 2 weeks. It has started to kick in some, I think. I started testing the week before my cycle, so I still had frustratingly high levels. Right now averaging morning (higher than I want - 115 - 135), other fasting (98 - 120), after meals (110 - 140).

TrickyTreeFrog

Hi Susan and good job on those numbers....keep working it!!

I have never "just" tested each vegetable so could really not give you a good answer.

Hugs

Have a great day!

Laura

ant hill
Hi

I'm newly diagnosed and doing a lot of reading and learning.

My current question: Is a carb just a carb for most of you and how you react to them, or are the carbs in some vegetables any less effecting on blood sugar levels? I know YMMV, and I'll test against some for myself, but I was curious about how most people react. For instance, do carrots and onions send your BG soaring?

Vegtables are regarded good for you and yes there are carbs in them and we count them but all is not lost as carbs in a veggie is better for you than a bag of crisps.

Portion size is another thing too to consider also. The thing is to have some carbs but not too many of them. The other is to exercise!!

Background: I've only been on Metformin 2 weeks. It has started to kick in some, I think. I started testing the week before my cycle, so I still had frustratingly high levels. Right now averaging morning (higher than I want - 115 - 135), other fasting (98 - 120), after meals (110 - 140).

Yeah this will subside over time as the drug to do it's thing. Ask questions and read what's here.

jwags

When deciding on what carbs I am going to eat, I look for the carbs that will give me the most minerals and vitamins for the least amount of carbs. In the end only your meter will tell you what portion is right for you. I can handle 24 carbs of sweet potatoes, but not 24 carbs of juice. Most vegetables you get a much bigger portion for the carbs. You can eat a huge salad for under 15 carbs. I don't specifically count the carbs in vegetables unless they are starches.

Moonpie

I find I can handle most veg without problems, I often eat 3 or 4 baby carrots as part of our meal at night. I eat a variety of veg & feel good. I do try & stick with the less carby veg ( green), but when I don't I still do OK. I can't eat bread or any type of store made cakes, even a mouthful is no good. so I do not think all carbs are equal.

SusanMatt

Thanks for your answers. I spent last weekend with a virtual white lab coat on testing my reactions to some foods and how morning carbs affect the rest of my day. Believe me, I know to exercise. ;) I've been averaging 30-50 min of cardio per day 6 days a week. I'll start weight after a while ... baby steps.

I am going to test carrots more. I did find that getting less sleep one night (only 5 hours) turned my BG up all day.

AngieInMia

Starchy (High Carb) VegetablesThe main vegetables to be avoided when reducing carbohydrates are the starchier and sweeter vegetables:

Carrots (some diets flag carrots as a problem, though they are lower in carbs than others in this group)

Beets

Peas

Winter Squashes (particularly acorn and butternut)

Parsnips

Potatoes in all forms

Sweet Potatoes

Corn

Plantains

Low-Carb VegetablesThis list is roughly arranged from lowest to highest carbohydrate counts, but all are non-starchy and generally low in carbohydrates. Exact carb count depends on serving size. Remember when counting carbs in vegetables that the fiber is not counted, and can be subtracted from the total.

Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)

Greens – lettuces, spinach, chard, etc.

Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.

Radicchio and endive count as greens

Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Bok Choy

Celery

Radishes

Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)

Cabbage (or sauerkraut)

Mushrooms

Jicama

Avocado

Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)

Asparagus

Green Beans and Wax Beans

Fennel

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Peppers

Green Bell Peppers

Red Bell Peppers

Jalapeno Peppers

Summer Squash

Zuchinni

Scallions or green onions

Bamboo Shoots

Leeks

Brussels Sprouts

Snow Peas (pods)

Tomatoes

Eggplant

Tomatillos

Artichokes

Onions

Okra

Spaghetti Squash

Celery Root (Celeriac)

Carrots

Turnip (see Carb Counts of Root Vegetables)

Water Chestnuts

Pumpkin

jwags

I think you need to trust your meter. I eat a lot of winter squashes and sweet potatoes and rarely see a spike. In fact I often see my lowest numbers with these veggies. PP's in the 70's. I think the trick is what you pair them with. It is important to have fat and protein with each meal. I have seen huge spikes when I only eat a green salad without fat or protein.

jenb

Like jwags I use lots of winter squash - Acorn, Butternut, pumpkin and Spaghetti. I also use baby carrots in salads, soups and for crudite - a few go a long way! All these veggies require minimal insulin intake for me and are mainstays in our house. Your meter will tell the story!

Jen

ant hill

Let's face it, There are good carbs and there are bad ones. There are no one single answer to what you should eat.

If you want to loose the pounds, Then count your carbs and exercise!!! ;):D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.