Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rak1978

Importance of dietary fat for blood sugar control

rak1978

I've had an interesting (interesting to me, at least) experience lately, and thought I would share.....

In a desperate attempt to lose weight fast, I tried a diet called "lindora". The premise of the diet is ketosis, which they say most can reach between 50-100 total carbs per day....I couldn't, so I was eating about 40 total (including fiber). The food list that you are supposed to choose from consists of lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, non-fat dairy, and EVENTUALLY some whole grains.......do you see a major food group missing? That's right, NO fat. No avocado, no nuts, no cheese, no olives, NO CHOCOLATE!!!

Anyway, on this diet, I DID lose weight quickly...about 3/4 to one pound a day while I did it correctly. There were many major problems with it though.....

1) I was so hungry all the time (portions were small, and calories ended up being about 700-800 per day)

2) My blood sugars were terrible!!! Can you say rollercoaster??? Although I was eating very low carb, my meter did not reflect my efforts! Frustrating.

Anyway, I finally got some sense beaten into me and switched back to the tried and true low carb/high fat. Since the premise of the aforementioned diet was ketosis, I realized I could achieve this in a much more satisfying and sustainable way by eating low carb/ high fat. Since the switch back almost a week ago, my blood sugars have been excellent. My 7 day average on my meter is 111, and I am somewhere close to that number nearly every time I test. (lowest has been in the 60's and highest has been in the 140's)

So, the carbs are the same, I am losing weight at almost the same pace, I am satisfied and happy, and my meter is happy. Why? I attribute it to dietary fat.

Do any of you have problems controlling blood sugar on a low fat diet (low fat & low carb that is)...or was it just me?

jwags

Count me as one of those who needs fat. Before diabetes I ate a vegetarian, almost no fat diet, my bgs were through the roof. Now that I incorperate fat at every meal I see a big difference. I do notice on nights I only have a salad with little protein or fat my next morning numbers are much higher. I think when I don't eat enough fat my liver decides to dump, so much fun.

foxl

Rachel, thank you for sharing this experiment with us!

I do think it is helpful to keep an open mind and try new things -- your results confirm what I have been reading here, but it is good to have personal results, too!

rak1978
I think when I don't eat enough fat my liver decides to dump, so much fun.

My fasting #'s were okayish RIGHT when I woke up, but between that time and breakfast I was shooting up a lot (on average by 60-80 mg/dl) every morning. Maybe that was a liver dump too? I know that is not happening now that I've added the fat back in.

jenb

As the Diet Queen of the Universe, I found that eating a low fat diet led to a total lack of satisfaction. I was constantly thinking about food and constantly hungry. Once I reduced the carbs and increased the fat I lost weight permanently and wasn't always focusing on the next meal. In my case it was Dr. Sears' Zone concept that rescued me.

Jen

rak1978

Hi Jen :). You may have some competition on the Diet Queen title! ;).

Sadly, I've been yo-yoing trying to find something, anything that works to control both blood sugar and weight loss. This was much easier b4 diabetes!!! Sheesh.

When you were on the low fat diet, how were your blood sugars? Was it low fat, high carb? Or was it low fat, low carb?

jenb

My weight loss days pre-dated my entry into the T1 club, so I can't really say what the blood sugar impact might have been. I'd lost about 50 pounds over a couple of years (2005-2006) by Zoning, and was really stable for several months in 2007. I was hit hard and fast with diabetes in the last quarter of 2007 - and lost another 20 pounds (hmmmm....1/2 pound a day is a sign something's wrong? Really????) on the fantastic T1 "Ketoacidosis diet". I did gain some of that back and I'm NOT sorry - I looked pretty unhealthy.

The earliest attempts at weight loss followed the standard "fat is bad" concept, so most of my attempts were low fat, low protein, high carb, but calorie controlled. I probably lost and gained the same 50 pounds (and then some) dozens of times over the course of my life. Never could keep it off until I restricted starchy carbs and added back some fat. I'm finding now that I'm an insulin junkie that I have to low(er) carb in order to minimize insulin use and maintain my weight.

Jen

jwags

I was always thin , well into college. Once I got married and had 6 pregnancies in 11 years, my body went haywire. My last daughter was born when I was almost 40. We moved halfway across the country at the same time, so my baby weight never came off plus many more came on because of slow metabolism. Even back then I was probably insulin resistant and just didn't know it. I tried every diet out there, I claim title to the "Queen of dieting" or at least a share in the title. I lost weight, but usually regained it. When I was approaching 50 I realised how heavy I was. I wore sweats all the time and since I was a stay at home mom there was not reason to squeeze into a suit. So everything I owned had a elastic waist. I have a bookshelf full of diet books, some better than others. I have the Zone Diet, The Rotation Diet, SouthBeach, Atkins, Flat Belly Diet, Sugar Busters, Curves Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, Weight Watchers, etc. Although I eventually took off almost 50 pounds by the age of 56, that is when I got my official D dx. The first thing my doctor said was to try to lose more. I said , "Are you crazy" Well that is when I found low carb and just eliminating breakfast cereal , most breads, pasta and rice and potatoes started the weight loss again. I hit my lowest last fall, back to high school weight. I did add a few carbs back in because I was losing too much on Bernstein. So I have added on 3-4 pounds and am hovering around 115-116. It feels good. I don't consider low carb a diet but a lifestyle way of eating. I eat lots of calories and great fats. It is nice to be able to eat bacon and eggs once again.

jenb

J. - we clearly share that library! I think that "Diet Queens of the Universe" sounds like a great alt-rock band name!

Jen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.