Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeanne D

Low carb and low fat diet?

Jeanne D

I find it hard to do both.

I'm "supposed" to eat low fat because of my cholesterol, and low sodium too.

Sometimes I feel like all I can eat is lettuce and water.

Any tips anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Jeanne

jwags

I think it is hard to do both. Low fat is not necessarily better to lower cholesterol. Many of us have found low carb, high fat diets lower Cholesterol, Triglycerides and raise the HDL. Coconut Oil is a also one of those good fats, even though it is saturated but it lowers cholesterol.

Mussakka

I would think low carb low fat would be really difficult to maintain. Most of the successful low carbers here are pretty generous with their fat intake. The fat is necessary to provide satiety.

Low fat is, well, low fat, and we've all been there. It can be done, but personally I find it really hard to maintain for very long.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable LC folks will be along soon with better answers.

xMenace

You're going to have to come to terms with cholesterol.

The NHLBI suffers from the same cognitive dissonance: Causes of atherosclerosis, cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin resistance Is it the fat and cholesterol or is it the sugar? Read that little article carefully. They state it's a 2-step process. The first is damage and the second is accumulation. Does it really make sense that these slippery substances are causing damage to our arteries while the rocky, glassy substances are not? Cholesterol and fats are found in plaque. Nobody disputes that. But when you really examine the science, there's absolutely no evidence that fats cause atherosclerosis and all kinds showing sugar does.

suhr

Hi Jeanne... I got the same advice you got and as other have said, it is impossible. I promise you, you can't do both unless you eat a high amount of protein and as a diabetic, your Kidneys are already prone to compromise.

Here is a question for you: What are your triglycerides like? Are they high? When I was diagnosed, my triglycerides were very high, and so was my cholesterol. My Doctor told me I needed to cut fat and carbs. I ignored that because I did some research on my own. Instead I got my carbs under control. When my carbs went way down, so did my triglycerides.... aaaaaaaaaaand my cholesterol. Ask your doctor about the relationship between Triglycerides and cholesterol. If your trigs are too high, the measurement for Cholesterol is WORTHLESS. My lab reports actually said that on them -- their "estimate" of my cholesterol was badly skewed by the high trigs.

Jeanne D
Hi Jeanne... I got the same advice you got and as other have said, it is impossible. I promise you, you can't do both unless you eat a high amount of protein and as a diabetic, your Kidneys are already prone to compromise.

Here is a question for you: What are your triglycerides like? Are they high? When I was diagnosed, my triglycerides were very high, and so was my cholesterol. My Doctor told me I needed to cut fat and carbs. I ignored that because I did some research on my own. Instead I got my carbs under control. When my carbs went way down, so did my triglycerides.... aaaaaaaaaaand my cholesterol. Ask your doctor about the relationship between Triglycerides and cholesterol. If your trigs are too high, the measurement for Cholesterol is WORTHLESS. My lab reports actually said that on them -- their "estimate" of my cholesterol was badly skewed by the high trigs.

My triglycerides were dangerously high.

Now 3 months beforehand I was put on a diuretic (thiazide) which lowered my blood sodium and raised my tri's.

She said they couldn't get a cholesterol reading because they were too high, just like you.

My BG was high also, which contributed to the whole thing.

So I can eat bacon and other meats and not worry about it?

I have been doing better carb wise and so have my BG's. although they're still high.

I have been exercising and that is helping too. I believe when I go back in 3 months there will be a marked improvement.

The dr believes that fat contributes to high tri's and high cholesterol and of course wants to put me on statins but I refuse.

I am now taking fish oil and coconut oil., among other vits and herbs.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Jeanne :)

suhr

Well... I'm not a doctor so you have to take anything *I* say with a grain salt but...

I eat 4 pieces of bacon every day with breakfast. That might not be great for me for different reasons, but I've been doing it almost since I was diagnosed and I did not have a problem with Cholesterol after getting my Trigs under control. My results are listed in my sig, and I saw a HUGE drop in Cholesterol in my first 3 months. But I also used my meter a lot to find out how many carbs I could have and (for the most part) I kept myself under 140mg/dl at 2 hours. If you are keeping yourself at or around that level, you'll probably see a nice drop in your Cholesterol levels too... regardless of what you are eating. Any honest doctor will tell you that dietary cholesterol is not a HUGE determinant of your cholesterol. It is much more a function of OTHER things going on... part genetics, part things like triglycerides level.

Seagal

One caveat though, if you eat carbs with fat, I'm sayin' no potatoes & piles of butter. Cauliflower (reasonable serving) and butter yes, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes & butter.....no.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.