Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poidog

newbie needing advice

poidog

Hi Guys! Just joined and I need all the advice I can get about diabetes. I've recently been diagnosed pre-diabetic with a fasting glucose level of 138. At 5 feet 11 inches, I am pushing 300 lbs, but am now down 10 lbs through diet and exercise. I have a prescription for Gipizide ER 10mg/day, and a One Touch meter that I have not yet used (still a bit chicken) :embarasse

I am scheduled for some classes so I know I will get more info as I go on. I may still be in denial, but I know that learning about this disease, might just open up my eyes to the dreadful cosequences that can occur. I need to get control of it now! Any advice or tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, any advice on herbal/natural supplementation would also help.

Thanks,

Dave

Jamie

Hi Dave ...

Welcome to the forums. You are off to a great start with weight loss keep it up. Losing weight will definitely help to control your bg levels, it worked for me to the point I am controlling with diet only. You will find the classes are extremely useful. Knowledge of this disease is your biggest tool to controlling it. You need to start using your meter, otherwise you will never know how well you are controlling. Keep a logbook of your readings and what you have eaten so you can see any trends. My last piece of advice is to see a dietician to help guide you, they are extremely helpful.

I don't use herbal/natural supplements and am unable to comment, but there are people here that do and will gladly provide input.

Keep in touch, If you have any questions just ask and somebody here will have an answer.

Jamie

Cinnabon

Welcome Dave.....

Glad you found us....

That is awesome that you have already lost 10lbs to a healthier life. I know a lot about Denial going hand in hand with this disease. The good thing is you can gain complete control with Diabetes and lead a normal life, a few ups & downs, but nothing more.

Karon

Welcome Dave, congratulations on the weight loss. :congrats: Pluck up the courage and begin checking, it's not so bad and it will let you know where you are.

Karon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.