Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ColePit09

Had my first Hypo experience...

ColePit09

So today I had my first hypoglycemia event. At first it felt like I was when I'm too high. As I haven't been Hypo before (usually Hyperglycemia), I didn't know what was going on.

First I was at work, and actually I had a pretty high BG this morning around 148 this morning. I did do vigorous exercise yesterday for me at least (walked 1.1 miles -:D.). Anyway, so I ate cereal and took my insulin according to the calculated dose.

At work, I was not focusing and I was shaking like an old person for some reason. I also felt cold when I'm usally hot. I also had really bad light sensitivity but for the most part I was twitching and felt like I was about to fall.

Check my sugar and it was at 60 mg/dL. The lowest it's been ever, well since being dx'd. I immediately went to lunch without taking my insulin and I had about 96g of carbs. I didn't know how much to take. Check my sugar 2 hours later it was 149. So I guess that did the trick. Haven't been hungry or anything all day so I check my sugar and it was 109. I didn't expect a drop in BG since this afternoon, but I have been doing a few bouts of exercise (shopping).

This disease is crazy...one minute you're fighting hyper #s and the next you're fight hypo #s...why can't control be easier. I also scheduled an apt to see the endocrinologist, so I can get a more formal dx.

xMenace

Indeed; why can't it be easier? *sigh*

Learn these symptoms. There will be more. Don't fear them, but learn to deal with them.

PinkRose

A swing from 60 to 149 & then 109 after eating 96 kg of carbs is not really bad at all. T1s generally swing to far more extremes values than this. From my understanding Type 1.5 generally is associated with great volatility in BG numbers. The only way forward is to test often to catch any hypos on time before they become more severe & also to avert highs. But be very careful with insulin. You may have very fluctuating insulin sensitivity as well - so what is an accurate correctional bolus in the morning may be too much in the afternoon or evening.

What is you total daily insulin consumption?

AngieInMia

I can honestly say that I can totally relate to you...about 5 weeks ago I experienced my first hypo low (60), had similar symptoms...I keep glucose tabs and have to restrain myself from wanting to binge (because it can often trigger that desire) and then send your sugar soaring. I've had it a few times since my first hypo and I have now learned to know when it's dropping. For me, the vision (spots in my eyes) is my initial indication, which occurs at below 70.

My sugar lows have been largely contributed by exercise. ESPECIALLY if I've taken any fast acting within 3-4 hours before exercising. One time I had to stop my workout because I felt my sugar drop intensely (40's). Thank goodness for glucose tabs on hand. My doctor advised me to not use any fast acting before working out. Even if I eat....just to eat the least amount of carbs before working out and if I have to, correct when I'm done.

ColePit09
A swing from 60 to 149 & then 109 after eating 96 kg of carbs is not really bad at all. T1s generally swing to far more extremes values than this. From my understanding Type 1.5 generally is associated with great volatility in BG numbers. The only way forward is to test often to catch any hypos on time before they become more severe & also to avert highs. But be very careful with insulin. You may have very fluctuating insulin sensitivity as well - so what is an accurate correctional bolus in the morning may be too much in the afternoon or evening.

What is you total daily insulin consumption?

My total insulin consumption is about 22-25 units. Depends on what I eat. Some days I don't feel hungry so I don't eat. But I'm thinking the exercise has affected my sensitivity and which case threw off my bolus calculations. I also notice my BG is really high in the morning when I wake up but then goes back to normal around mid-morning like for example I wake up with 130-40s and then I'm around 90s before lunch. I don't think I'm a T1 maybe 1.5 or T2.

foxl

I had my first mild low from learning to use rapid a few weeks back. I had my husband there, and I had explained what might happen and what he could do or say to help. He restrained me from loading up on carbs ... I ate TWO glucose tabs, and then had a small snack 15 min later with some fat in it, to provide SLOW carb supply.

It seemed to be the right way to handle a mild low ... I was fine after that. I was still left wondering if the same thing would work the next time, or not! It is humbling.

jenb

Congrats (?!?) on your first low. I'm sure that 60 felt just awful. My first low was a 39, and my worst low was a 25, both during the first week post-hospital stay when my Endo had me on way too much insulin. I made the mistake of overtreating the low, going too high, then yoyoing high-low-high-low for about a day.

That experience caused me to do a bunch of testing to see just how much glucose I needed to treat a low and get into my target range but no further. It turns out that 1 gram of carb increases my BG between 6 and 9 points (sometimes 10). Armed with that knowledge I now use one 4-gram glucose tablet and test in about 30 minutes; If I'm still a little too low I eat a strawberry or a small slice of apple - that's nearly always enough to do the job. For a reading in the 60's I usually just do the strawberry or apple thing.

Isn't diabetes fun :cool:....

Jen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.