Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nina

High BG's

Nina

Hello,

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I'm wondering if any of you experience a sudden increase in your blood sugar readings. I did increase my basal rate and decrease my carb ratio. I am nervous because of my random highs throughout the day. I am more nervous for the baby and of course for myself.

-Nina

Nina

There are days when my BG's before meal are around 150's or higher and after meal around 180's and up (no more than 260). I just noticed this increase for the last couple days. I did correct most of my highs and sometimes it goes down or stays the same.

Tsukia

I am from canada but i went thru an unplanned pregnancy in 2009 and I can tell you it is normal for bg's to fluxuate. Remember our bodies are controlled by hormones and when we are pregnant there are alot of hormones going thru our bodies. If you are really concerned I would check with your doctor. Be careful what you are eating and try to do some more excersize to help get them back down. But insulin changes are normal during pregnancy.

Steal

Nina,

My daughter is 7.5 months and I am pregnant with #2 right now. I have found that during my first trimester, my numbers typically go down, but there tends to be a week or two of insulin resistance. That has been my experience and then it randomly goes back and then goes down. Numbers seem to change and change pretty frequently, so I wouldn't worry. I would just continue to test and stay on top of it. I am on the pump, are you? This is something that has really helped me to keep numbers in a tight range.

With my first pregnancy, I was getting super nervous with every change in blood sugar. I found that the best thing for me to do was to calm down, take the insulin and wait. I find that my emotions play a large role, I don't know about you. Sometimes, I find that insulin takes longer to work than others. I have also found that particular food make my blood sugar rise hours after eating, no matter what amount of insulin I take in the short term. These might just be a few options to explore.

I just got my A1C back today. They are having me take it monthly and it is 5.6, I had to share. The only way that I have kept it in this range is by testing frequently and altering my levels when needed, which is all the time.

Feel free to write if you need someone to talk to.

-steph

aiah23

Everyone else pretty much covered this well. Frequent testing, frequent changing/increasing your boluses and basal rates, and not stressing too much about it. Best of luck to you.

Fawn

Katrina Stovold

normal, normal normal....I had a high reading and a low reading every day thru my pregnancy! I was very worried for my baby but these **** highs are unavoidalbe sometimes no matter how very hard we do try! baby turned out fine and just perfect. My diabetes educator said if it is high ALL THE TIME then thats not good, but the random high or low doesnt have much effect on baby. x

Nina

Hi Everyone!

Thank you very much! I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one feeling like this. I am a little paranoid sometimes when my BG's are all over the place. Thank you again for your help.

-Nina

JenOlejniczak

I am wondering this myself...I have heard that the blood sugars increase around week 15, 18 and lower, is there a typical range of weeks where the requirements start going up?

aiah23
I am wondering this myself...I have heard that the blood sugars increase around week 15, 18 and lower, is there a typical range of weeks where the requirements start going up?

If you don't notice it before week 18, you sure will after that! I'm 28 weeks and I have to increase my insulin dosing every 3ish days now. Docs told me around weeks 16-18 you'll notice an increase and again around weeks 26-28, then again around week 32 and you may have a return of nausea, so heads up!

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.