Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harley Dave

Net Carbs

Harley Dave

I am new to all of this. Is the "net carbs" listed on some receipes the carbs less the fiber? (Example- 14 carbs, 5 fiber equals 9 net carbs). Trying to learn and its not sinking in.

Thanks

jenb

Yes Dave, you've got it right. I always use net carbs when calculating my bolus, but not everyone does. It seems to be one of those crazy "YMMV" things so prevalent with diabetes control!

Jen

fantomas

I generally use the "net carbs" when it comes to fiber, and then I use a grain of salt if it's sugar alcohol (I generally try to avoid foods with sugar alcohols).

And then there's that Dreamfields pasta with 41 carbs per serving, but only 5 being digestible.

Subby

Here and around the world, they don't put fibre as carbs in the nutritional information. I wouldn't dream of putting most fibre back in, myself. Depending on what food I am eating, it could mean a dose I know will be far too much (for example, avocado. Very roughly, about 3g carbs and about 12g fibre. No way do I need to bolus for 15g carbs!)

While you may not use insulin, take this just to mean that some like me, get a direct view that fibre often does not act like carbs.

PINK

I have heard (read) many say to take away only half of the fiber.

That's what I do,.

Then there's Deamfields. lol.

I eat it and always wonder if I am just lying to myself because my numbers always seem to go up a little.

10 points up from yesterday to this morning if it was the Dreamfields!

pink

jenb
Here and around the world, they don't put fibre as carbs in the nutritional information.

Oh Subby - you people just make too much sense! We have to practically read the fine print. Gross carbs are listed, and below that the fiber and sugars (and of course they don't always add up to 100%). Ugh....no wonder people are so confused when they begin to read those labels.

Jen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.