Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarboWarrior

Low Carb / High Fat Diet Questions / Advice?

CarboWarrior

I was diagnosed Type II 7 years ago. Went low carb (<100/day), felt like a zombie for a few days, then better. Cholesterol stayed high (250), Trigs went from 500 to 135, morning Bgs were o.k., 110ish.

Then I fell off diet. Started eating a few more "good" carbs (whole breads, squash, yams, etc). Trigs up. BGs up. Dr. started me on Glipizide. I had to eat more carbs to prevent hypo.

Within three months, I had gained 8# (6'1", from 174# to 182#), felt terrible, bloated, fat, muscle aches. A1c hit 7.8. Doc says time for insulin.

Not so fast, doc. I started VERY low carb (10-20/day) high fat diet 6 weeks ago. Interested to see what my next blood draw shows. BG's are great, but I still take Met and glip, but now only take glip as needed, breaking my pills (10mg) into 1/2s and 1/4s.

I've lost the 8#! Great! Back down to 174! Now I know this may sound caulous (no offense to those fighting the greater battle), but I still have tummy fat. I have always been very thin, except for the tummy thing. My question is this:

Was the 8# just water weight? Where was it stored, and why? Was it "inflamation"?

I lost the 8# quickly, like in a week. I am acually eating far less than before, as I'm just not that hungry anymore (althought I try to eat three meals, to keep my BGs low). It seems that fat is very satisfying. But why did my weight loss stop back at 174? If I continue LC/HF diet (pretty much a given, unless I want to inject insulin), will it continue again but at a reasonable pace, like a # a month? Or am I stuck here?

I guess I should be happy. BGs are the most important thing. I'm not all that concerned about cholesterol (tho my Dr. is freaked out). I would like to reduce Trigs. On average, I'm not someone you would consider "fat". I just think I would be even healthier if I lost the bulge.

Comments? Advice? Questions?

diaboki

It's hard to say. I would guess it was a combination of all that. I think you are on the right path, you just need to give it a little more time. Cholesterol is commonly tested and examined incorrectly. The important number is the trig/HDL ratio and the particle size of your LDL anyway. People with "good" cholesterol numbers die of heart attacks every day.

I say keep up the good work! You're doing great! :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.