Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suhr

Kellogg's Fiber Plus Chewy Bars...

suhr

These taste really good... 10g net carbs with 9g fiber.

If that fits in your budget, give them a try. The Caramel coconut Fudget is awesome.

:D

Seagal

Hmmm, with all these ingredients, it must be!

The Kellog's site showed 26 carbs

Sizes

5 ct, pouch

Ingredients

CHICORY ROOT FIBER, ROLLED OATS, CRISP RICE (RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, MALT EXTRACT, SALT, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), SUGAR, VEGETABLE OIL (PALM, PALM KERNEL AND SOYBEAN OIL WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND PALM KERNEL OIL) , FRUCTOSE, COCONUT, CORN SYRUP, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF GLYCERIN, SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK (MILK, SUGAR), COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WHEAT FLOUR, WHEY, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SOY LECITHIN, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), BAKING SODA, WHOLE MILK, NONFAT MILK, DEXTROSE, ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PECTIN, COCOA, ZINC OXIDE, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), WHEAT STARCH, SORBITAN TRISTEARATE, MALTODEXTRIN, YELLOW #5 LAKE, YELLOW #6 LAKE.

Allergen Information

CONTAINS MILK, SOY, AND WHEAT INGREDIENTS.

Dietary Exchange per Serving

1 Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat

Seagal

Hmm, 26 carbs, 9 fiber, 7 sugar. Dang, guess not for me. Too bad we can't come up with a really good homemade treat like this! Maybe if we talk real nice to Marty (MCS), he is real good in the research & development department!

suhr
Hmm, 26 carbs, 9 fiber, 7 sugar. Dang, guess not for me. Too bad we can't come up with a really good homemade treat like this! Maybe if we talk real nice to Marty (MCS), he is real good in the research & development department!

Check the different bars... The one I listed above (caramel coconut) is only 19g carbs 9g fiber... There is some variation. That still might be too high for you though.

PattyCT

I am eating Kellogg's Fiber Plus Cinnamon Oat Crunch Cereal. I find that it doesn't raise my blood sugar too much.

NickP

This bar causes too much of a spike for me (again...YMMV!).

Be careful with your "net carbs" calculations. Net Carbs is often one of most lied about items. Some of the dietary fiber can be digested, and therefore, does count towards that net carb total.

For me, when I try to "calculate" the effective "net carbs" - I don't subtract the fiber from the total carbs, I actually calculate from the calories.

Total Calories - Fat Calories = Calories from Protein & Carbs (total calories and calories from fat are listed on the label). I subtract out the protein calories, and the rest is the effective carbs.

FOR EXAMPLE:

For the Kellog's Fiber Plus Caramel Coconut Fudge - The label says - 26 carbs, 9 fiber, 7 sugar. From this label, you would calculate 26 -9 = 17 "net carbs"

OK, now, let's look at the calorie side:

From the label, this bar has 130 calories, and 35 calories from fat (both listed on the label).

So, 130-35 = 95 net carb and protein calories.

Since the label shows 2g of protein, this give 8 calories from protein (2g x 4 cal/g) = 8 calories

Take 95 - 8 calories = 87 calories from carbs. Now, take the 87 calories, and divide by 4 (4 calories per gram of carbs) = 21.8 net carbs

That means that you will be consuming 5 carbs more (or about 20% more carbs) than what you thought you were eating....this can make a difference, and is only one example.

See the difference? Most companies will fool with the dietary fiber number to promote their product, but you can keep them honest by checking the calorie total.

BTW....87 carb calories/130 total calories = 67% of calories from Carbs......FAIL!!!

Sorry, but IMHO, this is still junk food.....and yes, it does taste good.

Shadawbi

I've tried them but they spike med. I like the South beach diet bars though. They are just as tasty & don't give me that spike. I thought the Atkins bars were nasty until & recently tasted a chocolate one & OMG---delicious! I have a coupon so I will buy a 5 pack this week. They are a bit pricey but the 2 net carbs per bar make it worth it to me.

NickP
I've tried them but they spike med. I like the South beach diet bars though. They are just as tasty & don't give me that spike. I thought the Atkins bars were nasty until & recently tasted a chocolate one & OMG---delicious! I have a coupon so I will buy a 5 pack this week. They are a bit pricey but the 2 net carbs per bar make it worth it to me.

In my experience (IMHO), I think "Atkins" grossly mistates the number of "net" carbs. They completely discount all sugar alcohols from the calculation of net calories, which is totally wrong. Again, see my calculations above and run it for these bars. For me, I find that the sugar alcohols don't give an immediate rise, but will impact me over a much longer period of time (same net result (area under the curve), but no spike). Again....YMMV.

Personally, I don't like all of the additives and the processed materials that in the Atkins products. When I advise friends about my diet, I tell them to follow the Atkins diet, but don't buy any products with the Atkins name on it. Again....just my 2 cents.....

notme

Thanks for the imput suhr. Glad you found something that works for you. It is always so nice when you find something that works in your diet plan and doesn't spike you too much.

Daytona

When I first posted that I liked these bars I was not on a very far along on my super low carb diet ( < 130). The bar didn't seem to have a big effect on my blood sugar. Now that I do 5 - 10g a day, it gives me a big spike.

Sometimes I think it's hard to isolate which food is spiking my BG when I am eating carbs often. Now that there is less "noise" it's easier to see that these don't agree with me.

They still are delicious though... I miss them... *sniff* :D

samorgan

Wow! You need a prize of some kind. If this is really accurate, it is extremely useful.

I just did it for an Atkins bar claiming "2g net carbs", like this:

Total calories: 150

From fat: 70

Leaves 80 from carbs + protein

Carbs from protein: 40 (10g)

Leaves 40 cal from carbs

Equals: 10g of "net" carbs.

Five times the claim on the label!

This bar causes too much of a spike for me (again...YMMV!).

Be careful with your "net carbs" calculations. Net Carbs is often one of most lied about items. Some of the dietary fiber can be digested, and therefore, does count towards that net carb total.

For me, when I try to "calculate" the effective "net carbs" - I don't subtract the fiber from the total carbs, I actually calculate from the calories.

Total Calories - Fat Calories = Calories from Protein & Carbs (total calories and calories from fat are listed on the label). I subtract out the protein calories, and the rest is the effective carbs.

FOR EXAMPLE:

For the Kellog's Fiber Plus Caramel Coconut Fudge - The label says - 26 carbs, 9 fiber, 7 sugar. From this label, you would calculate 26 -9 = 17 "net carbs"

OK, now, let's look at the calorie side:

From the label, this bar has 130 calories, and 35 calories from fat (both listed on the label).

So, 130-35 = 95 net carb and protein calories.

Since the label shows 2g of protein, this give 8 calories from protein (2g x 4 cal/g) = 8 calories

Take 95 - 8 calories = 87 calories from carbs. Now, take the 87 calories, and divide by 4 (4 calories per gram of carbs) = 21.8 net carbs

That means that you will be consuming 5 carbs more (or about 20% more carbs) than what you thought you were eating....this can make a difference, and is only one example.

See the difference? Most companies will fool with the dietary fiber number to promote their product, but you can keep them honest by checking the calorie total.

BTW....87 carb calories/130 total calories = 67% of calories from Carbs......FAIL!!!

Sorry, but IMHO, this is still junk food.....and yes, it does taste good.

Daytona

I can't remember where but I thought that the labels use heavy rounding* when they report the grams per serving. This can cause the #'s to not add up right. So if you took the grams for protein, fat and carbs and multiplied them by their respective cal/g it would not match the posted calories.

Your formula is a good one for getting a more realistic carb value, I'm just trying to understand the large discrepancy.

* This is what lets them say that a product has 0g of trans fat when it can have up to .49 g per serving

NickP
I can't remember where but I thought that the labels use heavy rounding* when they report the grams per serving. This can cause the #'s to not add up right. So if you took the grams for protein, fat and carbs and multiplied them by their respective cal/g it would not match the posted calories.

Your formula is a good one for getting a more realistic carb value, I'm just trying to understand the large discrepancy.

* This is what lets them say that a product has 0g of trans fat when it can have up to .49 g per serving

Salim did a good job in evaluating the Atkins Bar. As I posted previously, the big issue with the Atkins products is that they completely discount the sugar alcohols (sugar substitutes). If you google the different articial sweetners, nearly all of the ones used in commercial products still have a GI and have some calories/gram. Therefore, they are not "free" and do impact your BG.

With the Fiber calculations, you will find that not all fiber goes through your system undigested. Therefore, once again, not all of the Dietary Fiber is "free" and once again, must be calculated.

When you are eating and managing 300 grams of carbs a day, this may seem like a minor adjustment to your dietary calculations. But when you are managing or eating to 30 to 60 g a day, these extra 5 or 10 carbs can mess up your meal plan.

Again, with the Atkins products, look at the label and what is inside of it. If it says "partially hydrogenated" anything....it has transfat in it....even when it says "0 Transfats on the label" --- It's all about selling and marketing a product.

NickP
Wow! You need a prize of some kind. If this is really accurate, it is extremely useful.

I just did it for an Atkins bar claiming "2g net carbs", like this:

Total calories: 150

From fat: 70

Leaves 80 from carbs + protein

Carbs from protein: 40 (10g)

Leaves 40 cal from carbs

Equals: 10g of "net" carbs.

Five times the claim on the label!

Thanks Salim....I have learned a lot from you over the months. It's nice to give you back one.

However, I will be happy to send my address in PM, so you can get my award to me as soon as possible. :D

samorgan

Thankfully, the Atkins bar I'm looking at doesn't have anything hydrogenated. The oils are palm and palm kernel which are both fine with me. It does have way too many ingredients some of which I really don't like like glycerin and others I just have no idea what they are. They also have soy about which I have my doubts.

Salim did a good job in evaluating the Atkins Bar. As I posted previously, the big issue with the Atkins products is that they completely discount the sugar alcohols (sugar substitutes). If you google the different articial sweetners, nearly all of the ones used in commercial products still have a GI and have some calories/gram. Therefore, they are not "free" and do impact your BG.

With the Fiber calculations, you will find that not all fiber goes through your system undigested. Therefore, once again, not all of the Dietary Fiber is "free" and once again, must be calculated.

When you are eating and managing 300 grams of carbs a day, this may seem like a minor adjustment to your dietary calculations. But when you are managing or eating to 30 to 60 g a day, these extra 5 or 10 carbs can mess up your meal plan.

Again, with the Atkins products, look at the label and what is inside of it. If it says "partially hydrogenated" anything....it has transfat in it....even when it says "0 Transfats on the label" --- It's all about selling and marketing a product.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.