Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confusedwife

How closely do you count your carbs.

confusedwife

Hubby has recently been diagnosed with type 2 and I am trying to do a reduced carb diet for him. Not sure how closely to count the carbs though, and where to find out the info to do it. I weigh anything like potatoes or pasta, or rice and work those out, and if I use anything tinned then I look at the packet for those but I tend to cook a lot of stuff myself and haven't been counting the carbs in veggies, salads, etc... Is this ok.

Here is today's menu he has eaten, am I doing right?

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, coffee.

Lunch - Loads of salad with smoked mackerel pate (smoked mackerel mixed with cream cheese and a squeeze of lemon), 4 corn crackers (only 3 carbs per cracker)

Dinner - chicken and veg curry with 40 grams (uncooked weight) basmati rice, and a sugar free jelly for pud.

He has also had coffee, tea, and sugar free squash to drink through the day.

Thanks for looking, and comments gratefully accepted.

jwags

I don't count exactly but I know which food combinations spike me. I would suggest to add more fat to each meal. The fat helps stabalise bgs between meals. It doesn't sound like that is a lot of food, is your husband satisfied with it. I would also dump the rice at dinner and swap for some chopped veggies like cauliflower rice, shredded cabbage or Shiratake 0 carb noodles. Do you own a carb counting book? I have a little paper back. It has every thing under the sun in it and the calories and carb. When you cook from scratch just add up the amount you put into your dinner and then divide by the average portion.

confusedwife

Thanks jwags. We are very new to this so am learning as we go.

I was concerned that he wasn't getting enough because he is loosing weight so quickly (almost 2 stone in 4 weeks!) but he says he isn't hungry and he is eating a full box of salad at lunchtime, and loads of veggies (cauliflower, green beans, carrots, etc...) in the curries and things, and he is exercising every night.

Will give the shiratake noodles a try, and the shredded cabbage. Have just found a nice recipe for that sauted in butter with herbs.

His doc won't give him a monitor so he can't test each food and see how it affects him at the moment so it really is trial and error and hope his levels come down each 3 months at his blood tests.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

xMenace
Thanks jwags. We are very new to this so am learning as we go.

I was concerned that he wasn't getting enough because he is loosing weight so quickly (almost 2 stone in 4 weeks!) but he says he isn't hungry and he is eating a full box of salad at lunchtime, and loads of veggies (cauliflower, green beans, carrots, etc...) in the curries and things, and he is exercising every night.

There are two kinds of hunger. One is how much we put in our guts. The other is the energy need of our cells. Our cells need energy, or eventually they'll overcome us. They'll make us so insane we have to eat.

It's great that he's losing so much weight; though a lot of that is undoubtedly water. Low carbing ruduces your sodium levels so you retain less water. His BP should have dropped as well. He's now hopefully utilizing his fat stores for energy which certainly keeps hunger at bay, but it won't last forever. Sooner or later he'll want to eat more on this plan. When that happens, don't feed him crackers and rice, add olive oil, coconut oil, high fat meat cuts, butter, raw milk cheeses, high fat natural yogurt, , etc High fats! This will feed his active body and not drive fat storage.

shyam

There are countless websites that will help you with the carb counting. In some time you will get a hang of it.

suhr

Can you get a different doctor? If your husband has truly been diagnosed as type 2, withholding a meter is criminally negligent in my book. That is TERRIBLE.

princesslinda

Calorie King has a website listing many foods and their nutritional values.

Rice is "iffy" for many of us. I can tolerate a small amount of brown rice, but so little that I'd just rather leave it off. There is a "cauli-rice" you can make by grinding a head of cauliflower in the food processor until it's looks like rice. You can then sautee it with butter or microwave until warm and serve just as you would rice. It's mild in flavor, and the texture is good.

If he's hungry between meals, you should keep some almonds, cheese sticks, celery with ranch dressing, pork rinds, s/f jello or jello pudding on hand.

Moonpie

when I first started, I used "fitday".com, you can google it. I entered a days worth of foods, & then I could see where I needed to make adjustments to the carb count. AS my meals don;t change that much, I now, know what to eat, that suits me. I don;t really count carbs, per se, I just avoid all the obvious one,s no spuds, no rice, limited pasta ( dreamfields maybe once every 3 months) & no wheat or commercial breads. I do get the low carb wraps /tortillas, but I am finding I am starting to prefer lettuce as a wrap than the bready ones. If I make a curry at home, I will serve it over steamed cauliflower or cabbage, or bok choy. If I eat a curry out, I will order a plate of the cucumber salad instead of the rice.

If the Dr won't give you a meter, can you buy a cheap one? They really help get a handle on what foods a person is more sensitive to.

jwags

Weight loss is you are trying to diet is good, Weight loss from higher bgs is not. Without a meter, it is very hard to know if your bgs are in range. I know in England they do things differently and don't recomend testing for all diabetics, basically because of the cost. Is there anyway you can buy a meter. Here in the states many of us have to buy our own meters and strips but it is worth the money in order to keep our health. Do you have Walmarts, they have a Relion meter that is super cheap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.