Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WantHealth

Removing fruit and many vegetables

WantHealth

If I decide to remove all fruit from my diet and also reduce veggies which are high in fructose will I have a problem getting enough vit. C?

What are the vegetables considered good options for diabetics? (thinking celery, cucumber, lettuce...what else?) I don't think there truly are any fruits low enough in fructose (aside from avocado) worth eating unless I view them as a treat/dessert once in awhile.

Thank you

jwags

The veggies I eat on a regular basis are spinach, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, kale, all lettuces, mushrooms, peppers, green or red, cucumbers, celery, artichokes, even small amounts of sweet potatoes. I can also eat several slices of tomato or onion. I do eat a lot of avacados, the fat slows the spike. I eat berries, especially blue berries in small portions. I usually add them to my very low carb waffles or muffins made with flaxseed. As a pre diabetic you may be able to handle a few more carbs than some of us. Use your meter to figure out what works. I find the trick is to add protein and fat to each meal. I get my lowest bgs when I make a beef stew. I put carrots, onions, mushroom and sweet potatoes in it as well as red wine. My bgs are always in the 80's at 2 hour. So our D bodies deal with different foods even though they may have carbs a lot differently.

Mussakka

A lot of diabetics have success with berries. You might look at what you're already eating too. According to the Wikipedia article on Vitamin C, the highest non-fruit sources include red and green chilis, parsley, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. Interestingly, they're listed as having more mg/100g than oranges.

Fruit-wise, that same article lists Indian gooseberry, guava, black currants, kiwi, loganberry, red currants, wolfberry, etc. as higher sources than oranges as well.

Personally, I don't think it's good to flat-out eliminate certain food groups from the diet, though many would argue that point. I don't mean to overindulge routinely, but a bit of apple and a bite of strawberry here and there wouldn't be a mistake in my opinion. Eat sensibly otherwise. Just my two cents.

NickP

It's a personal choice. I have eliminated all fruit except for berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blue berries).

Most of the green vegetables are good choices.

I take a Vitamin "C" supplement, but that is probably an overkill.

I don't think you need any fruits to survive. Paleo man lived through periods with very limited or no fruits. A small quantity is probably not a bad thing though.....just watch out for those that high in fructose.

sweetstar

Keep trying different fruits and veggies and test.

I am able to eat more carbs at lunch and added fruit to my lunch and seldom get a spike.

I have an apple almost every day. In the summer I will try to add cantalope and strawberries.

As for veggies I can eat almost all green veggies, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, greenbeans.

I even eat beets and carrots.

Every one is different. Staying away from processed foods helps alot.

Eat fresh fruit.

Good luck.!

samorgan

OP: Good decision. It did it quite a while ago. I can grab a few berries once in a while, but last night I tried 4 small strawberries and 3 blackberries and regretted it. I was 137 at two hours, the highest I've had in many months. As others have said, you won't have any problem to thrive without fruit. Before the last half century or so, no humans had fruit year-round like we do but only in fairly short growing seasons.

Vegetables, just stick to green ones and stay away from everything white (except cauliflower). As far as I know, supplementing with vitamin C in tablet form works just like getting it from food, so there is no necessity to spoil BG numbers for fear of lacking it.

Note that red sweet peppers are much higher in fructose than the green ones. Since I read that, I keep them to a minimum.

PinkRose
OP: Good decision. It did it quite a while ago. I can grab a few berries once in a while, but last night I tried 4 small strawberries and 3 blackberries and regretted it. I was 137 at two hours, the highest I've had in many months. As others have said, you won't have any problem to thrive without fruit. Before the last half century or so, no humans had fruit year-round like we do but only in fairly short growing seasons.

Vegetables, just stick to green ones and stay away from everything white (except cauliflower). As far as I know, supplementing with vitamin C in tablet form works just like getting it from food, so there is no necessity to spoil BG numbers for fear of lacking it.

Note that red sweet peppers are much higher in fructose than the green ones. Since I read that, I keep them to a minimum.

One question. Wouldn't a non-diabetic spike to 136 after eating fruits as well? Though their BG level would quickly drop, I grant that. But I don't see how 136 is of great concern if one wants to have the nutition that fruits give us & your BG levels normalises soon enough ...

jwags

I think someone who has a normal functioning pancreas , their phase 1 insulin kicks in immediately preventing them from spiking to those bg levels. I think we have been brainwashed into thinking fruit is a necessary, essential healthy food. I also think even if you don't spike with fruit, the fructose is believed to raise Triglycerides. Most of the minerals and antioxidants you can find in vegetables in much larger quanities for a lot less carbs. If you are worried about vitamins, take a multi vitamin or mineral supplement.

jenb

I eat blackberries and strawberries and small quantites of apples, oranges and grapefruit. I do use home-grown limes and lemons as marinades and garnishes. Avocados are a staple in our house. I do sample fruits from our little orchard - apples, peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, Japanese persimmons, grapes, kumquats, figs and pomegranates - thankfully the local birds, coyotes and other critters take my diabetes very seriously and generously sign up to dispose of most of the fruit harvest before I can get carried away!

As for veggies I use (in no particular order and probably not a complete list):

a lot of cauliflower and broccoli,

leafy greens and lettuce of all kinds,

cabbage,

cucumbers,

eggplant,

asapargus,

artichoke,

tomatoes,

summer squashes,

winter squash of all kinds seem OK,

green onions and some regular onions and garlic,

hot peppers, limited amounts of sweet peppers,

turnips, rutabagas, and radishes,

small quantities of fresh peas and beans (but almost no dried beans except chickpeas which I can't resist),

older carrots,

sprouts,

parsley, lots of cilantro and other fresh herbs from the garden

limited bits of sweet potato for a treat.

I don't include much grain, but Quinoa, oat bran and bulgur make OK additions to the mix. I don't use potatoes, rice or most grains, and don't really miss them. Beets and parsnips are not on the menu either, unfortunately

Jen

Shadawbi

So far I've only found that apples, corn, and carrots give me spikes so I avoid them, but haven't had issues with any other fruit or veggie in moderation.

I'm curious about the dried beans though...don't beans have a lot of fiber? I'd think they'd be a good option. I eat hummus, which is made from chickpeas & I have no problems with it.

jwags

I can handle about 1/2 -2/3 cup of beans. I prefer black beans but I'm ok with pinto beans. If I am making chilli I add lots of protein and some fat. I usually eat it with avacados which always lower my bg.

Moonpie

I can eat a kiwi now & then, without a problem, but we are all different, so you will have to find out what you can tolerate. It is only in recent times, that fruit was available all year round. My Grandparents, back in Europe, would only have fruit when the trees gave it to them, which was only once a year.They lived a long life. fruit is overrated IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.