Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ColePit09

Control Issues

ColePit09

So today I had a morning FBG of about 86 (the lowest it's ever been in the morning), I ate breakfast (the same as yesterday) about 72 g of carbs and my BG spiked to 140 with 15 units of Bolus Insulin. I had thought I was giving myself extra b/c according to my I:C ratio I shouldn't only need 12 units to cover the meal and I supposedely didn't need any correction as my target is 100 mg/dL. Based on the same meal from yesterday when my BG was 104 my BG only went up to 134 with the same amount of insulin (exactly 2 hours later). Why did my BG go up 54 points on the same meal at the same time and the same injection amount from yesterday, I also tested exactly 2hours later. It only went up 30 points yesterday, but today it went up 54 points. Am I losing control? :confused: What's going on? What you think?

Jan B

Cole,

A few things come to mind. First, this is Saturday morning -- is it possible that your activity after breakfast today was less than yesterday morning?

Second, it's not that big of a difference and it's hard for our bodies to behave exactly the same from day to day -- a tiny difference in our activity, waking time or even thoughts/stress/pressure are never exactly the same.

Third, you are totally screwed. Just kidding of course! Overall, it sounds like you are doing pretty good. Also, don't compare yourself to a T2; compare yourself more to a T1. What I mean by that, is our range of acceptable bgs is a little wider -- just my opinion, which I think a lot of T1s would agree with. We'll see!

Todd G.

The difference is not large. Maybe you slept more, or less. Maybe you got up earlier, or later. Maybe your liver kicked in a little extra. Maybe your body's trying to tell you that it doesn't like 72g of carbs in the morning. Lots of maybe's, but the last one is probabaly true for sure.

Todd G.
Also, don't compare yourself to a T2; compare yourself more to a T1. What I mean by that, is our range of acceptable bgs is a little wider -- just my opinion, which I think a lot of T1s would agree with. We'll see!

Why would you say that? In theory, someone using insulin, be they 1, 2, or 1.5's, should be able to maintain very tight control. Certainly much tighter over a certain frame than someone trying to control BG through diet and exercise alone. Or at least that's the way it looks to me, but I'd like to know more about your thoughts.

I kind of read thisin the same way I read questions like "what's the ideal TG for a diabetic?" or "what's the ideal BP for a diabetic?". I think it's the same as for a non-diabetic, or at least that's my standard. YMMV

Jan B
Why would you say that? In theory, someone using insulin, be they 1, 2, or 1.5's, should be able to maintain very tight control. Certainly much tighter over a certain frame than someone trying to control BG through diet and exercise alone. Or at least that's the way it looks to me, but I'd like to know more about your thoughts.

I kind of read thisin the same way I read questions like "what's the ideal TG for a diabetic?" or "what's the ideal BP for a diabetic?". I think it's the same as for a non-diabetic, or at least that's my standard. YMMV

You got me on the insulin part. For a T1 - or T1.5 or T2 on a minimal carb diet, I agree that control can be much tighter than when matching high carbs to insulin. I did not express myself completely.

My thoughts relate to a good A1c for example & big swings. A lot of T2s have amazing A1cs in the low to mid 5s. A lot of T2s think 200 is a very high number. On the other hand, T1s can go from 100 to 300+ in a short time by making very "simple" errors. Insulin sensitivity and insulin resistance, I believe is something that separates those wild swings . . . leading to my statements of T1s having a broader acceptablity of what's good! I may be dead wrong, and wouldn't mind some enlightenment!

poodlebone

I eat oatmeal with fruit + ground flax for breakfast every morning. My BG can vary so much afterward I've given up wondering why. Diabetes isn't like mathematics even though it's all about numbers and ratios. 1+ 1 does not always equal 2.

jwags

First I am a type 2, not on insulin. My morning bgs range from 75-105. I usually eat the same lower carb, high fat breakfast every day. Whether my bg is 75 or 105, I usually end up with the same 2 hour pp. So the same breakfast may spike me 10 points or 40 poiints. I think my body is just programmed that way. What I do find, though is if I wake up in the 70's or 80's my 3 and 4 hour numbers do go much lower than if I wake up at 105.

jenb

First, meter variability is +/- 20%, so your readings may in reality be very close. Second, more than just food goes into creating fluctuations in blood sugar - maybe you ate later and had a.m. hormones racing around, maybe you read a newspaper article that jolted your stress level....it could be anything. I wouldn't sweat it. Your readings are still OK. I find that covering larger amounts of carb is very difficult - I'm not nearly as accurate bolusing for 50 grams of carb as I am for 15 or 25. That's why I try to keep carbs to a minimum - the law of small numbers is my friend!

Jen

ColePit09

Thanks guys for the responses. It could be meter error, but you're right no need eating 72g carb for breakfast. I was hungry though hahah! Anyway I just wasn't happy being that high My TG is 70-139 mg/dL. Ok so it's been 4 hours...and now my BG is at 61mg/dL? I'm confused so I did give my self too much, it was too much because thats what I figured it was going to be after meal. Maybe the insulin hadn't kicked in yet? Now I'm almost hypo. I was wondering why I was shaking and had a head ache and didn't feel so good. :confused:

I think I ate too soon after injecting. It's the only logical reason this happened. The number was up b/c the insulin hadn't peaked yet. So it was following behind the carbohydrate peak, and once the carbs were used up the remaining insulin droped me further. Guess I need to time my injections better.

foxl

Nobody has mentioned peak timing, so I will. Maybe it was the size of your breakfast, combined with the timing of the insulin being a bit off, that made you peak that high. Try to think in terms of area under the curve, instead of linear or single-point values. The more briefly you are that high, the better, of course -- and Iam betting your time at 140 was brief -- not like it was overnight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.