Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

recovered55

10 weeks today, and just so nervous since this is my first.

recovered55

I've posted a few threads before when I was earlier along.

I have had a week of cramps (my doctor said it was due to the uterus making room for the little one!)

I just got on the insulin pump, and have had a few high blood sugars. I have heard the heartbeat twice. One: at 6 weeks, 3 days Two: at 7 weeks, 1 day.

I have an appointment to see if the baby has an abnormalies when I am 12 weeks. Has anyone else done that, and what are the chances of it being false? I've heard a lot of reports of it saying the baby has down syndrome and it comes out normal.

I am just so scared that I am going to have a miscarriage or something. This is my first baby. I just hate that I have type 1 and hypothyroidism. I just want a healthy baby!

How many of yall had to have c-sections, due to a large baby?? I'm fearing that also!

Any feedback would be GREAT :)

aiah23

I have had a week of cramps (my doctor said it was due to the uterus making room for the little one!)

I just got on the insulin pump, and have had a few high blood sugars. I have heard the heartbeat twice. One: at 6 weeks, 3 days Two: at 7 weeks, 1 day.

I have an appointment to see if the baby has an abnormalies when I am 12 weeks. Has anyone else done that, and what are the chances of it being false? I've heard a lot of reports of it saying the baby has down syndrome and it comes out normal.

I am just so scared that I am going to have a miscarriage or something. This is my first baby. I just hate that I have type 1 and hypothyroidism. I just want a healthy baby!

How many of yall had to have c-sections, due to a large baby?? I'm fearing that also!

Congrats on your pregnancy. I had the NTF test also at 12 weeks. You have 2 blood draws, 1 at 12 weeks and then another when you're in your 2nd trimester (like 14-16 weeks). As far as stats, I've known too many women who don't fit them. You sound like you're worrying yourself into a tizzy so try not to focus so much on all the what ifs, but rather what you could do that's right for you and your baby now.

I started on levo for hypothyroid when I was 7 weeks pregnant and I'm still on it now. My TSH levels are optimal but b/c my TP antibodies were >10,000 (normal is around 60) they started me on it. Provided your TSH levels are normal you don't face any kind of extra risk to your baby. Since you're already hypo, they'll monitor you monthly (monthly blood tests will include A1C, thyroid panel, and microalbumin to monitor your kidneys).

I've known more women who've been perfectly healthy that have had miscarriages, than diabetics who have and I think those fears are normal but if they get to the point where they impact your ability to function then that's bad for you and the baby both and you should seek help if you find yourself getting to that point. If this is your typical type A personality worrying, I understand and reading up on the pregnancy process can do a lot to allay that fear:)

I'm 29 weeks on Tuesday so I can't speak to the c-section part yet. I can tell you that at 28 weeks you start going to your perinatologist for weekly biophysical profiles and if, during those, they suspect you'll face any issues with bed rest or the baby is experiencing problems or your amniotic fluid looks less than optimal, you'll be discussing such concerns at a frequent basis. Once you get to the 32 weeks, you go for those exams twice a week.

you can only do the best you can do for your baby. Be sure to take care of yourself, rest plenty, and focus on your blood sugars. If they're trending lower now, don't worry once you get into your 2nd trimester and beyond, your insulin needs increase SUBSTANTIALLY.

Fawn

liz32

don't worry about c-sections... they're not that big a deal and they don't take long to recover, I was up and walking with the stroller by the end of the first week... up and walking the next day. I hope you have a long and healthy pregnancy!

Katrina Stovold

Hi there!

All will be fine I am sure.

First pregnancy is a stress!! constant worry!

Second pregnancy so much more relaxed!

Tests are pretty accurate.......you can always have amniosiis if 12 week scan is iffy. Pretty clear though.

I am so sure your baby will be fine!

I had my sugars controlled pretty well, still had highs and lows all the time and baby was normal size, gave birth naturally! Just keep sugars under control by testing alot. It doesnt matter if baby gets big, just have a c-section, no big deal Im sure.

xo

Steal

Recovered55,

It sounds like you are a worried first-time mom. It is all normal, what you are experiencing. I am 15 weeks along with my second one. My first is 8 months old and I went through all the same worries with her. This second time around, I know that things are going along and I am less worried.

It is great that you are on the pump and I am sure that you will monitor closely to adjust your numbers. I decided not to go for the tests at 12 weeks because I didn't want it to add unnecessary stress. I was told that they give you percentages and if something is in an abnormal range, they will perform other tests. That is what they explained at my class. For me, each time I go in for the ultrasound, they seem to be checking anything out and I know that they will bring stuff up, if anything appears.

I have a thyroid condition, this time around, and didn't with my first, but it seems that if you are taking your meds and keeping it all regulated, we should be just fine.

I had my first daughter at 37.5 weeks and she was 7.5 pounds. I was not induced because of her size, that was a decision that we had made. In the end, I would not fully dilate and ended up having a c-section, but it was not because of her size. I tried to be vigilant with carbs, especially near the end. This second time around, I am a bit less nervous. I still find that I have the same little fears and wonderings, but I can trust that all is moving along.

One thing that helped us, during the first one, was to rent a fetal monitor. They do it online and it was wonderful. My husband would be the doctor and hold it up to the belly. For me, until I could feel kicks or recognize the little pangs, this was a way that I felt better and knew that my little one was okay.

I hope this helps and just know that there are a ton of us who have done it. You are almost to 12 weeks and for me, that is when I could breathe a bit. Good luck, I am sure you will be a great mom.

-Steph

T1 25 years

Daughter 8 months

15 weeks preggo with #2

arakashi

I am now at almost 21 weeks, and am just starting to relax, now that I can feel him/her kicking. I think it's completely normal to feel that way. I certainly did/do.

I had a lot of cramping/stretching feelings at 10 weeks and was also very nervous. If there is no blood, you should be ok... If there is, call your doc immediately. It really is normal, your uterus is stretching and making room...

I did a big screen at 12 weeks. They do the NT test, and then also they will ask you if you want to do a separate blood test for downs (tri 18 and 13). This test has a 5% false positive rate (which is very high), so be aware that you might get a (false) positive on it... If you do get a positive, you'll have time to do CVS, and then you'll have a much clearer idea of your risk.

At 16 weeks, I had my first big structural scan and a fetal echo cardio. The structural was inconclusive on a number of things (too early). But, they found that my placenta was low. They said that 99% of the time, it corrects itself by 20 weeks and does not become placental previa. I went yesterday for the second structural scan and the placenta was normal and high. So that was my false positive #1.

The fetal echo at 16 weeks also showed PACs. They again said that this usually corrects by 20 weeks. Indeed it did to my joy (false positive #2).

So I think you have to keep in mind that they screen us like crazy, and with all of the screens, you might get a few false positives along the way, and they can be very unnerving...

Because of this, I elected not to do the AFP test at 16 weeks. This too has a high false positive rate. My practice does not order this test now at all basically (unless the 12 week screen gives reason to do it, or unless a patient really wants it), and they argue that it's largely been replaced by other, better tests (and structural scans). She said that the follow up to the AFP test is another structural scan, which they'll do anyways at 18-20 weeks, then followed by anmio if the structural shows something... So from her point of view, since they are screening you all the time, why take the chance of getting false positive? I decided to go with her opinion, and am glad I did. Having the other 2 irregular results was not fun, and in the end they wouldn't have done anything differently than what they did if the AFP had come back positive, so the only difference would have been me being stressed out for 1-2 weeks waiting for the baby to be big enough to confirm with an ultrasound...

Good luck with your little one!

Lizzie G

Hi there

Try not to worry about these things. I have actually had a trisomy pregnancy (and had a termination) and just wanted to explain about 'false positives', as the terms can be a little confusing! a screening test never gives a result, but a statisitical likelihood of certain problems; what people are referring to as 'false positives' are higher than normal odds of their child having a problem, they are NOT being told their baby has down's or T18 or T13 (i wasnt sure if this was clear on some of the posts so sorry if im over-emphasising this point). they are simply a step in a necessary process to diagnose abnormalities and allow you to make an informed choice.

So, what happens at about 12 weeks of pregnancy, is a 'combined' test. this consists of a blood test, measuring the levels of two hormones in your blood, and the measurement of the thickness of fluid at the back of the baby's neck (during the scan). the reason for this is that studies have shown that if a baby has abnormalities, they are LIKELY to have an increased measurement of fluid, and the mother is LIKELY to have an elevated level of one hormone, and low levels of another. so the fluid will be measured on the baby, your blood levels will be drawn, and the doctor will input these results into an algorithm which will then come back as a statistic such as 1 in 1000 or 1 in 200 chance of cetain problems. if this likelihood is found to be high above a threshold determined by the hospital (usually around 1 in 200 in the UK) then you will be offered an invasive test (CVS at this stage in pregnancy)which will draw a sample from your uterus, and the baby's chromosomes will be tested for the most common abnormalities. so when someone talks about a 'false positive' they mean they were given an elevated risk factor (for example 1 in 50, which means that there is also a 1 in 49 chance of the baby being normal).

i went through this all last year. my baby's NT was 5mm, based on that alone they calculated a risk of down's of 1 in 20. when my bloods came back that increased to 1 in 5. i then had a CVS, where a sample was drawn from my womb which was analysed in a lab and we could be told with 100% certainty and accuracy that there was a serious defect. you would never be told this without an invasive test which is why i thought it was important to explain the difference to you between 'positive' and 'screen positive'.

some people have talked about other tests at 16 weeks; im not aware of these as we dont have them in the UK, just the combined screening at 12 weeks and then if something looks abnormal at a later scan an amnio is offered.

having gone through this whole thing i dont want you to panic, its incredibly unlikely and incredibly unlucky it happened to us (and nothing to do with diabetes by the way!) and im now 21 weeks along with a happier healthier pregnancy which hopefully will go full term and result in the natural birth of a perfect little boy.

try to keep as relaxed as you can. you will get a lot of weird little aches and pains all through, and sometimes the medics can be a little over-zealous with their monitoring so you just have to learn to take it in your stride, take on board the useful advice, ignore the rest, and understand that at times they have a mentality of looking for a problem when theres probably not one....and all will be fine (as long as you keep your control good, and if you struggle with that make sure you DO get the right advice from the right people).

Liz

recovered55

I am 16 weeks today, and am having a baby boy. I go back in 3 weeks for the anatomy screening again. I am on the continuios glucose monitor on my pump and my blood sugars are perfect :)

aiah23
I am 16 weeks today, and am having a baby boy. I go back in 3 weeks for the anatomy screening again. I am on the continuios glucose monitor on my pump and my blood sugars are perfect :)

Congratulations! That's exciting. We couldn't get an anatomy determination until 19 weeks. That's cool that you know early. Hold off on shopping until you get that clear determination. Glad CGM and pump are working so well for you!!!

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.