Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WantHealth

Atkins Advantage Protein Shakes

WantHealth

I was at Walmart today buying more test strips (hands feel like pin cushions these days) and I saw Atkins Advantage Vanilla Shakes and decided to give them a whirl.

Aside from a LONG list of ingredients the critical nutrition facts are as follows:

Total Carb 2g

Fiber 1g

Sugars 1g

Protein 15g

Fat 9g

(Calories 160)

I see sucralose is the last ingredient. Is this the sweetner that can cause spikes or is in general one of those YMMV ingredients?

The stuff tastes pretty good. Reminds me of Slim Fast (which I always liked) and if its considered a reasonable addition to my diet I'd be happy to have one for breakfast or as an afternoon or evening snack.

Thoughts?

PS: is this the actual Dr. Atkins or is this a company coasting by using his name?

WantHealth

Well, one hour after drinking the Atkins shake and I'm at 84, so I don't think they are detrimental. The shakes are sweet so when I get desperate I know what I'll turn to....

I read the ingredients list twice and I don't see "sugar alcohol" -- but are sugar alcohols oftentimes disguised as something else? (I'm *so* not trusting when it comes to mass produced convenience food!)

jwags

I haven't tried the Atkins but I have some of the 2 carb Slim Fast in my fridge. I use them if I don't have time for a meal. My only problem is I think they taste too sweet, but as you said they are nice to throw in a backpack when I am travelling. Sucralose is the same a Splenda. I don't have a problem with it. The one that causes problems for me is Sorbitol or Malodextrin. 84 is a great number.

diaboki

Dr. Atkins sold Atkins Nutritionals years before his death. He would have rolled over in his grave from them putting the soybean oil in it alone. And now there is so much junk in it, the product is nearly unrecognizable. It may not cause you spikes, but you can do much, much better for your body.

PINK
Dr. Atkins sold Atkins Nutritionals years before his death. He would have rolled over in his grave from them putting the soybean oil in it alone. And now there is so much junk in it, the product is nearly unrecognizable. It may not cause you spikes, but you can do much, much better for your body.

What shake would you recommend then?

I use Muscle Milk Light for use around my workouts at the gym but I am sure it has a lot of strange stuff in it also. It is delicious Chocolate.

diaboki
What shake would you recommend then?

I don't really do any pre-made shakes any more, mainly for the reasons you said. But I know, you sure can't beat their convenience! Slim Fast used to have one shake that was low in carb (strangely not the "protein" one), but I haven't seen that in a while. But I'm sure it also had a bunch of junk in it. But stop the presses! I just found out that Atkins stopped using soy isolate in their shakes so that's a good thing anyway. These days I'm trying to stick to real food as much as possible, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.