Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todd G.

Easter Dinner

Todd G.

This recipe requires some effort, but it is well worth it because it is tasty, and both low carb and visually stunning. It will require some assistance from your butcher, but you'll find they did most of the hard work for you. I don’t list all the small ingredients, but they are mentioned in the description. This works well in a home oven providing you have a large roasting pan that can hold the rendered grease, and you’ll need a fire extinguisher too. It works even better in an outdoor smoker.

Easter Turduken on steroids

Ingredients;

1 large whole chicken(4lbs)

1 large turkey(20lbs)

1 large duck(7lbs)

1 small whole pig(~40lbs)

10 lbs thick bacon

3lbs pepperoni

3lbs hard salami

4lbs flavorful cheese: I suggest brie

1 dz hard boiled eggs

Have the butcher de-bone all the animals. Season the inside of the pig and set aside while you prep other items. Boil eggs, set aside to cool for peeling.

Cube the pepperoni, brie, and salami. Cook 5lbs of the bacon, reserving fat. Place the pepperoni, salami, and bacon in a food processor and turn on until smooth. You may need to do this in batches. Add in cooled bacon fat and process until smooth. Add in the brie and pulse to mix, but do not blend until smooth.

Layout boned chicken on work surface and cover with plastic wrap. Pound with heavy skillet until flat and spread out. Season to your liking. I would suggest garlic, salt, pepper, but YMMV. Smear the puree(forcemeat in cooking terms) of meat on the chicken. Use it all. Place as many of the peeled boiled eggs as possible onto the forcemeat. The forcemeat will act like glue. Roll the chicken as tightly as possible without squeezing out the forcemeat. Place the chicken roll into the cavity of a similarly prepared duck (pounded and flattened). Roll again. You may need help for this. Next, place the chicken/duck combo into the cavity of the turkey. Roll turkey, and secure skin closed. Next, place the chicken/duck/turkey combo into the cavity of the pig. Roll and secure belly flaps. Place in large roasting pan on a drain grate, then top with remaining 5lbs of bacon. Season liberally.

Place pan into smoker or oven at 250 degrees. Slow roast until internal temp reaches 175 degrees. About 12 hours.

While meat is roasting, you can prepare the side dishes. I would suggest:

Pureed cauliflower with butter and sour cream

Broiled asparagus with hollandaise

Green beans tossed in bacon fat

Broccoli with butter or cheese sauce

Cauliflower with cheese sauce

Broccoli salad with bacon and cheese

Tossed lettuce salad with crumbled bacon, cheese, diced ham, diced chicken, and creamy LC dressing

For appetizers:

Pork rinds with blue cheese dressing for dip

Cheese tray

Cheese crisps, variety

Sautéed shrimp scampi

Sashimi with soy

Beef tenderloin with blue cheese crumbles

Lamb kabobs with garlic rosemary butter

Bacon wrapped scallops

Bacon wrapped shrimp

Smokey sausage links in cheese sauce

For dessert:

Sour cream pudding flavored with sugar free cool-aid, flavor of choice

Sugar free jello mold with strawberries/blueberries and mayonnaise

Make extra hollandaise sauce for the meat. And have plenty of melted butter also. Homemade ranch dressing also works well as a sauce. Serve meat on large platter. Meatballs in cheese sauce make a very nice decorative boarder on the platter.

This entire meal is low carb, but you can eliminate the asparagus and broccoli if you are going really strict.

Enjoy

princesslinda

I'd love to see pics of your spread Todd! Sure is fun to hear the holiday traditions. With that much food, i'm surprised you need an appetizer! ;)

I always prepare an Easter ham, deviled eggs, green beans with new potatoes, spinach maria (recipe in our recipe forum), sweet potato casserole with splenda, Dreamfield's rotini pasta with cheese sauce and crescent rolls for those who partake.

Dessert is usually a sugar free cheese cake, and festive cupcakes for the kids.

Iced tea sweetened with Splenda for dessert.

Shadawbi

We eat at my moms & everyone wants turkey this year. I am elected to make it because i'm the only one who makes my grandfather's famous stuffing the right way & yes I'll be eating some stuffing, even if that has to be my only carb for the day!

princesslinda

I always allow myself some dressing whenever we have it (sometimes we use dressing/stuffing interchangably, but i'm talking about the sage cornbread dressing baked in a pan). It's only one meal, eat small amounts of what you might not eat regularly, and fill up on things you know are blood sugar friendly. I remember the first year of my diagnosis. I was so strict that I made myself miserable around the holidays, as food was my only focus. Now I know it's one day, one meal, so I eat extremely low carb the other 2 meals of the day and try to pull in more exercise than usual....and I enjoy my meal.

Moonpie

well, I won't eat duck or baby pigs, so this is not a dish for me. We will be traveling this Easter, so I hope to find a restaurant that is open :)

Todd G.
well, I won't eat duck or baby pigs, so this is not a dish for me. We will be traveling this Easter, so I hope to find a restaurant that is open :)

I've actually made this with a 200lb pig and multiple birds wrapped around an entire log of provolone before. But it was for a bunch of people, not just me. :) I could make one for you without the duck.

I was kind of joking about the sides, trying to see how over the top I could go with the whole LC/HF concept. But it would be ketogenic for sure.

Moonpie

However, I am not too fond of mixing meats, but for those of you that do, enjoy :D

I love stuffing, last thanksgiving, I made some with zucchini, I figured out it was really the herbs I liked, so I sprinkled them in butter & poured over some zucchini, gave me the flavor I craved without the carbs. However, if I was presented with the bread stuffing, I'd have to eat it, somethings are too good for will power :)

jwags

I love turkey. This was the first year I bought a free range turkey. I lifted the skin and brushed it with melted coconut oil and stuffed herbs and sliced lemons, oranges and limes under the skin. I stuffed it and then turned it upside down ( breast side down) and cooked it. Flip it the last hour or so to brown it. It was so moist and tasted better than any turkey. You can do the same thing with chicken. I really do miss old fashioned stuffing. Making it with low carb bread isn't the same. I don't know if I am brave enough to try the Turducken.

Moonpie
I've actually made this with a 200lb pig and multiple birds wrapped around an entire log of provolone before. But it was for a bunch of people, not just me. :) I could make one for you without the duck.

I was kind of joking about the sides, trying to see how over the top I could go with the whole LC/HF concept. But it would be ketogenic for sure.

Thank you :D................

jka300

This Easter will be interesting since it will be my first since being dx with diabetes. I've done alot of research for how to adapted our recipes to my needs.

So far this is what I got

Turkey (of course)

Ham

mashed sweet and white potatoes (sweet for me)

carrot casserole (carrots, cream cheese, sour cream wheat bran and cinnamon)

broccoli casserole (broccoli, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, oats)

brussel sprouts and bok choy

original stuffing ( I know there are lots of carbs but can't change a fav)

salads

homemade cranberry sauce

Dessert

sugar free jello with fruit

pies

easter candy

sugar free chocolate for me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.