Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SteamPoweredBoy

Anyone Younger?

SteamPoweredBoy

So, I seem to be running into a lot of people in their 50's and 60's here, but I was wondering who is a regular poster/reader here that are under 40?

I don't have any problem with anyone older, and by no means are you "too old"; I just wanted to have some discussions with others around the same age as myself.

Caravaggio

How old are you?

What do you want to discuss?

Are you looking only for type 1.5 diabetics?

What about diabetics in their 40s?

SteamPoweredBoy

I'm 37, any type of diabetes are fine. I just wanted to be able to discuss lifestyle decisions and choices with people in the same stage of life as me. A little younger, a little older is fine of course and bonus I'd you live in the Los Angeles area.

Cormac_Doyle

I'm 35 (36 in June) ... is that young enough ? :) Unfortunately, I'm based in Ireland ...

SteamPoweredBoy

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of somewhere between late 20s and late 40s but I'd love to talk to anyone about their experiences. What part of Eire are you from? My mother is from Rossas Point, County Sligo.

princesslinda

I just turned 47, diagnosed w/T2 at age 42.

I encourage you to ask whatever questions you have...seems there are more similiarities than differences with most of us in how we manage things day to day, even those who may be older than what you're initially hoping to find. All of us have had to to figure out how to fit diabetes in while on vacation, around the holidays, with family and friends, etc.

I'm a bit far away from CA, in TN.

k_dub

Steam,

I think there are actually a lot of people aged 25-45 on this forum.

I'm 31yo. I was diagnosed at age 28yo.

What kind of things do you want to discuss? I'm open to any discussions.

A1C

OP, I am close to your age, however I am not in the L.A. area. The lifestyle choices I have had to change are finding a balance between strength training and cardio that I enjoy and dietary changes.

The only cardio I enjoy is martial arts class, heavy bag work, and plyometrics which are not an option right now because I don't have time or money for the first and can't do the later two in my apartment.

I would like to focus primarily on strength training for at least 5 years because of lost time, but apparently that is not an option in maintaining low blood glucose levels.

Also I cannot eat certain affordable low glycemic foods anymore that I really enjoy. They used to *not* raise my BGL, but now they do.

mjrc64

47, type 2, diagnosed 15 months ago, mother to two, ages 7 and 12, caregiver to dad and his sister, ages 82 and 87. Anything in common? Struggling to find time to exercise, cook for kids and me and a dh, and nobody likes what I like to eat that is good for me.

Peggy_TX

I'm 48, and have a 85yo mom who is also diabetic. Hang around here for a while, and I think you'll find that age is one of the LEAST important factors in finding other posters with similar concerns to yours.... Are you on your own, or trying to juggle your diabetic issues with those of non-diabetics in your household? Since it's a genetic condition, do you have diabetic parents (or other older relatives)? Are you active/athletic, or (like me) struggling to balance some form of exercise with physical limitations? Are you over or under weight? I think the posters here cover all bases.

Whatever your issues/concerns, just jump in with as much background as you can give and I think you'll be surprised at how much good and relevant advice you'll get (though it may sometimes be hidden inside a long thread of bizarre ideological rantings about some posters pet peeves.... if you're net savvy, you'll roll with it!) :-)

e||ement

I'm more of a sporadic poster...and I live in Ontario...but I'm a few weeks shy of 37, diagnosed at 34.

Also, I honestly didn't even realize there was a forum for Young Adults with Diabetes!

jpearce
So, I seem to be running into a lot of people in their 50's and 60's here, but I was wondering who is a regular poster/reader here that are under 40?

I don't have any problem with anyone older, and by no means are you "too old"; I just wanted to have some discussions with others around the same age as myself.

Haha well you have 16 years on be but I am younger!!!

Subby

Interesting thing: with age basically hidden on the internet (unless of course stated or just... obvious anyway) I can find myself getting on really well with people well out of my previous comfort zone, as if they were the my age peers. This has changed things for me off the internet to: the other day when working, I had to spend 5 hours in a social situation with a lady twice my age. I would have been put off by her age previously, in the sense of expecting us not to get along. But having learned not to prejudge as much, I worked out quite quickly that this was another person "of my ilk" of which the defining factor doesn't actually turn out to be age at all. We ended up nattering on about all sorts of things for hours, things I would normally think a 68 year old would not possibly be interested in. But I was wrong. We just turned out to be reasonably similar people with some contrasts and some common interests.

Anyway, that's slightly off to the point but I guess I'm saying there is an opportunity here to base conversation on subject, interest and outlook, rather than age. Yes, age will often intersect with those things, but why not just discuss the things you want to discuss, and see if people join in in a like-minded way, whether they are 20 or 80? If they don't.... there's your answer.

BMFJ

I just joined today. I'm 37 and was diagnosed 13 years ago. I found out after a weeklong stay in my local hospital. DKA. Before that I'd never given diabetes a thought.

I don't know anyone my age either so I think I understand your age question.

n4nature

I am 34 and was diagnosed with pre-diabetes a year ago. The way I was eating candies, I am I was a pre-diabetic at 27 also. Never did a test before I was 33 years old. I do understand your concerns, and it's always more informative to discuss this with same age group. Even 5 years changes a lot of dynamics. 40 yr old can do a lot of exercise to burn those carbs, as opposed to 45!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.