Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SteamPoweredBoy

Anyone Younger?

Gladtobehere
Interesting thing: with age basically hidden on the internet (unless of course stated or just... obvious anyway) I can find myself getting on really well with people well out of my previous comfort zone, as if they were the my age peers. This has changed things for me off the internet to: the other day when working, I had to spend 5 hours in a social situation with a lady twice my age. I would have been put off by her age previously, in the sense of expecting us not to get along. But having learned not to prejudge as much, I worked out quite quickly that this was another person "of my ilk" of which the defining factor doesn't actually turn out to be age at all. We ended up nattering on about all sorts of things for hours, things I would normally think a 68 year old would not possibly be interested in. But I was wrong. We just turned out to be reasonably similar people with some contrasts and some common interests.

Anyway, that's slightly off to the point but I guess I'm saying there is an opportunity here to base conversation on subject, interest and outlook, rather than age. Yes, age will often intersect with those things, but why not just discuss the things you want to discuss, and see if people join in in a like-minded way, whether they are 20 or 80? If they don't.... there's your answer.

I agree 100%. While working, only 3 short years ago, I was dealing with a bunch of 18-28 year old beta testers (computer gamer geeks ;) ) With mutal respect for each other we got along just fine.

I also know that my musical tastes stopped aging in my early 20s (early 70s), so I figure a lot of my other personailty traits also must have stopped aging. I know, because I am just a stubborn as always. Just a little less quick to get excited about things.

In any case there are plenty of younger people than me on these forums.

gingercake

Fwiw: 38 at diagnosis. 41 now. First diagnosed as type 2. Two years later finally got the other tests and had the autoimmune stuff.

arealgijoe

Well I am an ole fuddy duddy, maybe near twice your age....

On the other hand, I KNOW what tis like to be diabetic and stabbing yourself with needles every day when I was younger and no one my age had a clue what diabetes was. Actually I think its easier for younger people today because so many more people have diabetes and more in the news and every where you go. Back in my early 30s, being diabetic made you a real odd ball.

BTW I hit the auto-immune lottery, starting about age 12. I also have Multiple Sclerosis, psoriasis, hypo-thyroid and a few other things tossed in for good measure.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Jen01

I've jst joined 2day. I'm 32. Was diagnosed in 2009 with type 2 & 2 wks ago I was told I'm now 1.5. How does this happen & wot does it mean?

bigdad7

i am 33 at 28 dx as type 2 about 32 meds stopped working at 33 dx as isulin dep not sure if type 1 or 1.5 don;t really know why the transition maybe i did something really narly in a past life i need to work out know ....maybe i was that french chick that said they can eat cake and this is my way to work off some bad karma

jamikaitlyn

What exactly is type 1.5? I'm 22, was diagnosed originally as type 2 at 18... but only weighing 110, they soon changed their mind and their diagnosis to type 1. I used to take actos and did well with that. Then was switched to januvia and went from an A1C of 5.5 to 10.3.... so they put me on insulin and changed me to a type 1. I've been on the pump for over a year now and have done miserably with it... regardless of diet and exercise and actually went off the pump 2 days ago. I'm just curious as to what a type 1.5 is considered to be?

cici

im 23 just joined this to get more info on the MODY seems to be very little replies that im getting can some of the people who have posted all there medical stqts tll me where your getting that info cuz that cud be of some use to me and i have ot clue what all that is and im diabetic form 4 years from when i was 19 and i havnt a clue what all that is, its sorta worrying!! lol

CatLord

I'm 39 (40 in March!). I was DX'd T1 at age 32. Going to the ER in the throes of DKA was my first time seeing a doctor in my adult life -- besides the occasional broken arm and eye doctors for glasses/contacts.

StringCheese

I'm 30, diagnosed in August as diabetic and my dr isn't sure yet what type I have, it's most likely 1.5 and probably one of the MODY mutations because it's all over my family tree. I'm now on insulin.

drummingfool

25 here, been T1 with "T2 insulin resistance" for 12 years. Started on this forum back when I was, oh... 21 or so, I suppose. Recently getting my life back together after some MAJOR diabetes burnout. Wife and 3 kids, live in Houston TX. :)

lezhope

Just found out today I have Type 1.5, I'm 37 also. When I first found out I was a Diabetic and I was in the hospital my leavels were up to 600 they thought I was Type 1, but my Endo did all these blood tests and I got the results today... But I am off the Insulin starting today and only have to take my Metformin. I could also start working out again so I'm happy!!!!!!!

NDN
I turn 35 next week. Type 2 since age 32.

How is that working out for you now? Did you find you did better because of the young age? I am 33 and just diagnosed.

Tanikit

I'm 34 and have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 12. It was quite an adjustment then so I have no idea how people manage when they get diagnosed later - I think that must be hard. Although I suppose heading into teenage years with a new disease was challenging to say the least.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.