Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WantHealth

Defending a strictly low-carb diet -- who/what do you cite?

WantHealth

The past few weeks I've needed to discuss my new dietary restrictions with some close friends and family. Even my mom, who has always been health conscious, was shocked when I told her I was no longer eating carbs (she was shocked about things like Fruit, whole wheat breads, oatmeal and brown rice).

Just to make my life a little easier -- do any of you have some relatively easy stats/data/research that would make these conversations go better? Who do you quote? How do you make this low-carb diet make sense to people who have been hammered with "an apple a day..." and "eggs cause heart attacks" their entire lives?

I'm sick of people who I think are pretty open minded, smart and fairly healthful eaters looking at me like I have 3 heads and I'm about to keel over and die because I've cut out carbs and now my diet is high in protein and fat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

PlainlyJane

Quote Dr. Richard Berstein, read and have the read his book, The Diabetes Solution. The fact that he reversed his diabetic complications and is alive and healthy at the age of 78 and has been a type one diabetic since 1945, MIGHT swey them. No promises....

samorgan

Check out the movie Fathead and see if you can interest them in watching it. It would probably fit the bill of being "easy" - entertaining even - but it also contains lots of good, hard science from knowledgeable experts. You can get for free on the internet.

jenb

Salim, you beat me to it! I was just about to suggest that the OP search DF for posts by you and Shottlebop for plenty of ammunition.

Jen

ShottleBop

Dr. Bernstein, of course. Dr. Helen Hilts ("No roots, no fruits, no grains, no milk"), of Diabevita. Dr. William Davis's The Heart Scan Blog. Dr. James Carlson (How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!). Dr. John Briffa's blog. Barry Groves's Trick and Treat. Dr. Mary Vernon. Hyperlipid. Raw Food SOS. The Daily Lipid. The PaNU blog.

My meter. My meter doesn't lie.

shyam

I suggest see the Gary Taubes video lectures on YouTube & Yahoo. You will be well armed. There are lots of books available too. Dr. James Carlson's "Genocide" is available as an e-book on his website.

Caravaggio

In addition to the sources already mentioned above, you may want to try Living the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden. It's not about being strictly low-carb, but he presents low-carb eating in terms that are easy for ordinary people to understand, and gives his personal views on the various low-carb variations. The book is not for diabetics, but may be a helpful resource material for your family and friends.

DeusXM

Just remind them that high BGs are bad, and then show them the presumably good readings you've been getting. Depending on your family's temperament, I'd be cautious about showing them single issue movies or books with inflammatory titles - my first response to those, whatever they're about, is always 'crackpot'.

NoraWI

My feeling is... why bother trying to convince them? Do what you have to do and don't get embroiled in arguments with them. When offered something high carb, I say, "No, thank you, I don't eat that." End of discussion. The fact that I am over 70 probably carries some weight :)

VeeJay
My feeling is... why bother trying to convince them? Do what you have to do and don't get embroiled in arguments with them. When offered something high carb, I say, "No, thank you, I don't eat that." End of discussion. The fact that I am over 70 probably carries some weight :)

Certainly that's a big factor. The older you get, the less you feel the need to explain what you do. And the less you are swayed by others' opinions.

I do what I have to do. If someone disagrees, and doesn't respond to my initial quick answer, I don't pursue it. I just do what I know I need to do. I no longer let others' opinions encourage me to go off my eating plan. I just say "no thank you" and don't even add that I don't eat that because that makes others go on the defensive.

Of course, I don't have family members actively being non-supportive and telling me that what I'm doing isn't right. But if they did, I'd just ignore them, do my own thing, and no longer talk about it.

jwags

For the first year or so of my diabetes I tried to convince people but I have totally given up. One day I was in the middle of a tennis game and having a bad match. Someone had the audacity to tell me that my tennis game was going down hill because I wasn't eating enough carbs WTH!!! Even my very educated family doesn't understand why I eat the way I do. Unless you are diabetic and your bg spikes just looking at carbs they don't understand why we have to do this. People assume we do this for weight loss, only. I do this because I like bgs in the normal range. Particularly, I like all my limbs, eyes, kidneys and heart and would like to keep them all just the way they are. One thing you could say to them is you were allergic to peanuts, would you still eat them 3 times a day and risk dying.

MrsMia

I have read Taubes (he's fabulous in my opinion), Eades, Atkins, and frequently go to all their links and low carb links. But the most important way for me to convince people of its benefits is by looking at me (and my husband). We both do low carb and have dropped and maintained the weight we needed to and have the lab work to prove the positive benefits from eating that way so I guess people can look at me and ask me about my personal program of eating and can believe what they see and hear or not. But in the end I think it is really up to them to do the heavy lifting of researching it out and see if it convinces them.

MrsMia
Check out the movie Fathead and see if you can interest them in watching it. It would probably fit the bill of being "easy" - entertaining even - but it also contains lots of good, hard science from knowledgeable experts. You can get for free on the internet.

I would like to see the movie Fathead and thought about buying it but if it's free it's for me! Can you tell me where I might be able to watch it for free on the internet?

princesslinda

I don't feel the need to defend my diet. If any one asks why I'm not having _______, I simply say "i'm watching my carbs," and leave it at that. Everyone knows someone who is "watching their carbs." I've found if I don't make a big deal about it, no one else does either.

Daytona

1. Fat Head is a great way to explain low carb without having to lecture people. I went out to lunch with my Dad just this Monday and afterward casually started the movie hoping he'd watch. It got him thinking and I think he is more inclined to believe that than me.

2. I keep track of my BG in a spreadsheet. I sent an email to some of my more troublesome family members with 2 graphs, one of my BG on the ADA diet I was originally put on and another on a low carb diet. It really hit home to see one line graph zig zagging all over the place (usually in the 200's) and another that's almost perfectly straight and under 95. :D

Moonpie

I don't feel the need to defend my diet. It is my diet, my health, & if someone doesn't like it, well you know where they can go. Of course if it is a close family member, it complicates things. try a google search, I have read several articles recently that promote low carb diets as healthier for long term control of cholesterol than low fat.

Good luck

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.