Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lauz03

Help!!!!!!!!

Lauz03

I am only 14 and i fear i have diabetes but i don't understand it. I was wondering if u can buy tests from the cheist for diabetes and could sum1 PLEASE tell me what a pump is? i know what shots r but i don't understand the pump. Nad please could sum1 explain the thing about food... wot can and can't i eat if i am?????

Alysse404

Laura,

Hello there! I'm sure this is a very upsetting time for you, but hopefully you won't have Diabetes. However, if you find out that you do, please know that it is a managable disease and that this board is a great place to find info and to discuss any problems or questions you may have.:D

Here is some info from the American Diabetes Association website. (http://www.diabetes.org)

"Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults, and was previously known as juvenile diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use sugar. Sugar is the basic fuel for the cells in the body, and insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells.

Finding out you have diabetes is upsetting, but don't panic. Sure, diabetes is serious. But people with diabetes can live long, healthy, happy lives. You can too by taking good care of yourself.

Often diabetes goes undiagnosed because many of its symptoms (often misspelled as "symtoms") seem so harmless. Recent studies indicate the early detection of diabetes symptoms and treatment can decrease the chance of developing the complications of diabetes.

Some diabetes symptoms of include:

Frequent urination

Excessive thirst

Extreme hunger

Unusual weight loss

Increased fatigue

Irritability

Blurry vision

If you have one or more of these diabetes symptoms, see your doctor right away. You can also take our Online Risk Test (http://www.diabetes.org/main/info/risk/risktest.jsp) to find out if you are at risk for diabetes. "

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me or post on here and I'm sure someone will respond. Take care and best of luck!

Shalyndria

Hi Laura!

Wow, you sound like you are in a real panic! First off, did your Dr tell you that he/she suspects diabetes? If not, go and see someone. Diagnosing yourself might not be such a good idea. If your Dr has told you of suspicions, then first off you need to calm down. I am telling you as a diabetic with 12 yrs under her belt that it is not a horrible disease. In fact, I like to think that it is one of the easier ones, since it can be managed. And death is not around the corner. So take a deep breath and relax. Your youth is on your side as well; we tend to be more flexible in our lifestyle at younger ages. I was diagnosed at 11 and am grateful for it, because I couldn't imagine being 20+ and having to break bad habits built from childhood. And hey, you get to be the center of attention for a while, which is always a bonus! lol

A pump is a machine the size of a pager that is delivering insulin continuously through a small catheter under the skin. The catheter is introduced by needle and is done by the diabetic. Some differences between the pump and injections are that injections are given daily, whereas the pump infusion set is changed every 2-3 days on average. The pump uses regular or fast acting insulin only, whereas injections can include long-acting insulins, regular, rapid acting, premixed, etc. On the pump, a person is connected to a machine 24/7 but does not have to give injections every day.

Hmmm, food. Well, nowadays diabetics are pretty much limited to eating healthy. Back when I was diagnosed, eating sugary foods like honey and regular pop was a big time no no. As far as I know, diabetics are allowed to eat these types of foods in Moderation (!), but I'm not 100% sure because I was trained not to eat them and I still don't. Someone else here might have a better idea.

No matter what, keep smiling. And keep us posted to let us know the outcome. And feel free to email me if you need any additional answers or support!

:)

Jon

You didn't tell us how you came to the conclusion that you have diabetes. Do you have most of the symptoms? The most obvious one is dehydration. You will be thirsty and urinating often. There are many other things that can also cause these symptoms though. Bladder infection, side effects of medication, or many other possible causes. The best thing to do is get in to see a doctor, and ask for a urinalysis. They will measure the amount of sugar in your urine. They will be able to tell you within a few minutes if you are diabetic or not!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.