Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

Tips needed for incorporating more fat into my diet

MrsMia

I want to up my fat intake but I'm not sure how to do that. I have pretty much ruled out coconut oil as a source because I really don't like the taste of coconut or the smell and I can't imagine frying my eggs in it or anything else. So what I need is suggestions of other fats to bring in to my diet and how much and in what ways I can incoporate them. Right now butter and heavy cream are my staple. I like olive oil but that isn't supposed to be good for you if you heat it and I'm not a fan of oil and vinegar on my salad. I guess I could put just plain olive oil on it but I don't know how that would taste exactly.:cool: Any suggestions on what works for other low carbers?

princesslinda

I've been taking coconut oil capsules. They have no taste. They're about the size of fish oil caps. Can't say that i've noticed any difference in blood sugars with them, but they might work for you by adding the extra fat w/o taste or texture.

janice21475

Cream Cheese, Yum! Nuts, more yum!

I love the Coconut Oil in tea. I have a big collection of different flavors (Earl Gray, Earl Gray with Lavender, Green Tea with Peach, Green Tea with Ginger, Tea with Cardamon, Several types of Mint) they are all very good with a spoon of CO stirred in, or even just floated on top. I like the way it coats my lips as I drink, it just feels good to me. Of course, there are CO's that do not have the flavor in them, if your don't like that 'tropic' effect. :D

Heavy cream is great for Sugar Free pudding mixes. We have a serving every day with a tablespoon of Flax seed and a tablespoon of Lecithin granules (Another good source of fat).

I could practically eat a whole stick of Sweet Cream Butter given a chance. Our vegetables swim in butter but not salted butter. Years ago I read that salted butter is made from rancid unsalted butter. That cure me, I can always add salt to what I put the butter on.

Hope this gives you something to think about, as usual your mileage may vary.

Love ya, Janice

xMenace

I like EVOO on salads and veggies. I cook with it, but I try not to burn things -- keep temp down. I often mix it with butter for cooking.

Buy fatter cuts of meat, but they are often hard to find.

High fat cheeses.

raffi

Refined expeller pressed coconut oil does not have any smell flavor.

I get a lot of my fat by making mayonnaise with olive oil and then making blue cheese dressing out of that. Slathered on a salad it make a meal.

MrsMia

Do you have a recipe for that raffi? My favorite salad dressing is bleu cheese and I would like to make some and I have tried but the recipes I've tried didn't taste all that great.

Todd G.

Refined coconut oil is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Fresh Market has it if they're in your area under brand name Spectrum. Cheap too.

Blue cheese dressing. Ranch dressing.

And Janice21475, the word "rancid" sounds bad and brings up all kinds of mental images, but applied to fats, it's not as bad as it sounds. My guess is that 50% or more of the fat people consume would qualify as rancid. Generally it is perfectly safe, and frequently quite tasty as in aged beef. They've found old, real old, olive oil in sunken ships and sold it for a premium for use even though it was very rancid.

raffi

I make about 1 quart at a time (lasts around a week). I make the mayonnaise first. If you have not made any before, it is pretty easy once you get the trick and there are lots of recipes on the net. I use 2 egg yolks 2 tblsp of vinegar and about 2tblsp of mustard powder and a pinch of salt with 3 cups of olive (or any other kind of) oil. The dressing recipe follows

3 cups of mayonnaise

1 cup of blue cheese crumbles

1/2 cup of plain yogurt (we make our own yogurt too)

white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper to taste

garlic to taste

With a fork, blend the blue cheese crumbles into the yogurt with the other spices until you have dissolved/crushed/mixed in most of the blue cheese. Stir the blue cheese mixture into the mayonnaise.

The things that made this start tasting good was getting the blue cheese thoroughly mixed into the yogurt. Make only what you are likely to eat within a week, it starts getting funky by end end of a week.

Todd G.
Do you have a recipe for that raffi? My favorite salad dressing is bleu cheese and I would like to make some and I have tried but the recipes I've tried didn't taste all that great.

As a chef, I make blue cheese dressing in 5gal batches. I'm guessing you don't need that much, but this will get you close in a smaller quantity:

1qt full fat mayo

1pt full fat sour cream

1tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1tsp black pepper

1tsp garlic salt (optional)

~1cup blue cheese crumbles (more or less to taste)

Heavy cream to make desired consistency. Fine as is for dip, needs thinning for salad dressing.

Mix all together. Will hold in fridge for several weeks. Seasoning is always to taste. Add more salt, pepper, garlic, cheese, etc as desired.

Optional trick: Try this first to see if you like it, but add some vinegar to a small amount and mix. The acid makes the flavor really jump. Or, you can also add horseradish and use the dressing as a steak sauce.

raffi

I've never tried Worcestershire sauce in my dressing. That might be interesting to try.

Not sure how you get several weeks out of that mixture. My dressing (or even just mayo) starts getting noticeably degraded after a week.

Daytona

Two words: Prime Ribeye! If I could eat that for dinner every night... *sigh*

Otherwise, I've been adding as much butter as I please to everything (yum!). I've also been experimenting with coconut oil. Last night I made a hot cocoa out of heavy cream, coconut oil, cocoa powder and Truvia.

Todd G.
I've never tried Worcestershire sauce in my dressing. That might be interesting to try.

Not sure how you get several weeks out of that mixture. My dressing (or even just mayo) starts getting noticeably degraded after a week.

It never lasts that long. In a restaurant setting I only hold it for 3 days tops, but at home I use the expiration date of the sour cream as the "use by" date. Usually its 2-3 weeks out.

If you want it to last longer, find some Morton Tender Quick at the grocery store or online. Comes in a 2lb bag. It's used to cure meats, and is 99% salt and 1/2 of 1% each of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. Put about 1/2 tsp in your quart of dressing and it will last for months. You can also add it to water when you wash your salad greens and they'll stay fresh all day. Same for fruit, it won't turn brown for hours.

raffi

Ahh... With home made mayo, and home made yogurt, mine will not last. I don't add preservatives.

Speaking of preservatives, I figure if the bacteria turn their noses up at it (and they are not known to be picky), maybe I should think twice. :)

Todd G.
Ahh... With home made mayo, and home made yogurt, mine will not last. I don't add preservatives.

Speaking of preservatives, I figure if the bacteria turn their noses up at it (and they are not known to be picky), maybe I should think twice. :)

That's right. I missed the part about your homemade mayo. Yum. It is so much better than store bought. I used to make it all the time for sandwiches, when I could eat them. But you're right, with homemade mayo, a few days would be tops for shelf life. Most people don't realize that store bought mayo is actually so acidic that it acts as a preservative in egg/tuna/potato salad, etc. Very safe product from a bacterial standpoint.

FYI, in the US, most food borne problems come from broccoli, garlic, potatoes, and pasta. With potatoes and garlic being especially prone to botulism oddly enough. It loves people taking home baked potatoes wrapped in foil. You likely won't die from it anymore, but total muscle paralysis followed by two weeks on a ventilator isn't as much fun as it sounds.

Everybody's scared of something. Usually the raw eggs in mayo freaks people out, but driving to work every morning is "safe".

samorgan

Stop, you fanatic, you're making me hungry!

Cream Cheese, Yum! Nuts, more yum!

I love the Coconut Oil in tea. I have a big collection of different flavors (Earl Gray, Earl Gray with Lavender, Green Tea with Peach, Green Tea with Ginger, Tea with Cardamon, Several types of Mint) they are all very good with a spoon of CO stirred in, or even just floated on top. I like the way it coats my lips as I drink, it just feels good to me. Of course, there are CO's that do not have the flavor in them, if your don't like that 'tropic' effect. :D

Heavy cream is great for Sugar Free pudding mixes. We have a serving every day with a tablespoon of Flax seed and a tablespoon of Lecithin granules (Another good source of fat).

I could practically eat a whole stick of Sweet Cream Butter given a chance. Our vegetables swim in butter but not salted butter. Years ago I read that salted butter is made from rancid unsalted butter. That cure me, I can always add salt to what I put the butter on.

Hope this gives you something to think about, as usual your mileage may vary.

Love ya, Janice

jwags

I actually like the taste of Cocounut so I use the extra virgin kind. But as said many brands are tasteless. I also use real organic butter, full fat sour cream and heavy cream in my dishes. When baking I use high fat flour alternatives like flaxseed, almond meal or coconut flour. I also choose fattier meats like sausage, bacon ( nitrate free), and beef to add fat.

raffi

I did not know that about the broccoli, garlic, potatoes, and pasta. I've certainly seen my share of sub prime garlic, I will have to be sure to be careful around it. At this point in my life, I'm probably safe from the potatoes and pasta. Though previously I would probably not have had an issue either. Leftover? Taken home? :)

jdmt37
I want to up my fat intake but I'm not sure how to do that. I have pretty much ruled out coconut oil as a source because I really don't like the taste of coconut or the smell and I can't imagine frying my eggs in it or anything else. So what I need is suggestions of other fats to bring in to my diet and how much and in what ways I can incoporate them. Right now butter and heavy cream are my staple. I like olive oil but that isn't supposed to be good for you if you heat it and I'm not a fan of oil and vinegar on my salad. I guess I could put just plain olive oil on it but I don't know how that would taste exactly.:cool: Any suggestions on what works for other low carbers?

I've never heard before that olive oil is bad for you if you heat it? I cook with it a ton.

raffi

Heating olive old can create transfats. I also cook with it quite a bit, but I do try to keep the heat down more than I do for other oils.

Shadawbi
As a chef, I make blue cheese dressing in 5gal batches. I'm guessing you don't need that much, but this will get you close in a smaller quantity:

1qt full fat mayo

1pt full fat sour cream

1tsp black pepper

Heavy cream to make desired consistency. Fine as is for dip, needs thinning for salad dressing.

Mix all together. Will hold in fridge for several weeks. Seasoning is always to taste. Add more salt, pepper, garlic, cheese, etc as desired.

Optional trick: Try this first to see if you like it, but add some vinegar to a small amount and mix. The acid makes the flavor really jump. Or, you can also add horseradish and use the dressing as a steak sauce.

I used to work in a restaurant & when it closed, I called the head cook & asked her for the Bleu cheese recipe & she gave it to me with the huge amounts..LOL. I had to learn how to cut it down. Its the best dressing I ever ate! Its the same as yours except no Worcestershire sauce & add a bit of sugar (I use splenda now). Its just a bit sweet & so yummy!

MrsMia

1qt full fat mayo

1pt full fat sour cream

1tsp black pepper

Todd, thanks for the recipe. I think I will have to cut the recipe in half since I only eat one salad a day. But it looks delicious. One question about the mayo. Is it something like Hellmans real mayonaise that you would use? I know they use soybean oil as a major ingredient. Would that be considered an unhealthy fat? I really like the idea of making my own food as I can control what kinds of carbs, protein and fats go into my body better than relying on commercially prepared foods. I think that this recipe would be a ton healthier than the store bought varieties simply because of the ingredient list. The ones in commercially prepared salad dressings have so many ingredients that I don't even recognize.

raffi

Choice of oil was a big factor in my making my own mayo. There is a lot of controversy about soybean oil. Could be that soy is ok unless you have some sort of thyroid condition. You could do a google search on soy and spend a couple of days reading.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.