Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

Tips needed for incorporating more fat into my diet

jillybean

I'll agree that coconut oil can be pretty much flavorless, but I have yet to find one that is odorless (I have both Spectrum and Nutiva brands). Maybe I'm just more sensitive to smells than some, but I can smell it even when I've added it to something (used it in a stir-fry last week and could smell it the whole time I was eating).

I drink a protein shake every day and add oil to it (tried making them with heavy cream, but that made ma bit nauseous afterwards for some reason).

I do not have any olive oil in my house. I use almond oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, and just bought a bottle of MCT oil to try (Medium Chain Triglycerides - same kind of fat as in coconut oil, but it's a liquid even at room temperature, so more versatile). I have also fried using sunflower oil.

I don't buy lean meats; I buy chicken thighs instead of breasts. I add cheese to everything I possibly can. Snacks are generally cheese or almonds.

I usually get about 60-75% of my daily calories from fat, about 10% or less from carbs.

samorgan

Interestingly, I absolutely LOVE both the smell and the taste of coconut oil, so I don't face the same challenges. It's kind of weird in shakes since it is solid at cold temperaturs so ends up as chewy chunks. OK for me, since I love this stuff any way, shape or form, but I imagine that would be unpleasant for you.

An alternative is to use coconut milk (sometimes called coconut "cream"). It contains a large proportion of the oil but is liquid at cold temperatures and so it works better in cold shakes. Not sure if the taste would be any better for you.

I'll agree that coconut oil can be pretty much flavorless, but I have yet to find one that is odorless (I have both Spectrum and Nutiva brands). Maybe I'm just more sensitive to smells than some, but I can smell it even when I've added it to something (used it in a stir-fry last week and could smell it the whole time I was eating).

I drink a protein shake every day and add oil to it (tried making them with heavy cream, but that made ma bit nauseous afterwards for some reason).

I do not have any olive oil in my house. I use almond oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, and just bought a bottle of MCT oil to try (Medium Chain Triglycerides - same kind of fat as in coconut oil, but it's a liquid even at room temperature, so more versatile). I have also fried using sunflower oil.

I don't buy lean meats; I buy chicken thighs instead of breasts. I add cheese to everything I possibly can. Snacks are generally cheese or almonds.

I usually get about 60-75% of my daily calories from fat, about 10% or less from carbs.

jillybean
Interestingly, I absolutely LOVE both the smell and the taste of coconut oil, so I don't face the same challenges. It's kind of weird in shakes since it is solid at cold temperaturs so ends up as chewy chunks. OK for me, since I love this stuff any way, shape or form, but I imagine that would be unpleasant for you.

An alternative is to use coconut milk (sometimes called coconut "cream"). It contains a large proportion of the oil but is liquid at cold temperatures and so it works better in cold shakes. Not sure if the taste would be any better for you.

I don't mind the flavor of coconut oil (I can't usually taste it). I've tried coconut milk and wasn't a fan, but I've got the MCT oil now, so I'm good to go for my cold shakes :)

k_dub

I agree with jenb! Avocados! I would eat them every day if I could consistently find good ones around here.

I encourage you to explore all the different kinds of natural oils used for cooking. There are tons of them and they each have their own flavors, cooking properties!

Yes, you can find flavorless coconut oil. And even if you don't like the taste of it, it's a great oil for baking. I use it in any recipe that calls for shortening.

I use avocado oil (good for high heat and frying), apricot kernel oil, toasted seasame seed oil, almond oil, olive oil, canola oil, hazelnut oil.

I switch it up. I think there are other micronutrients that we benefit from by having a diverse diet. All of these are unsaturated fats.

You could also try adding flaxseed meal to things. Foxl (Linda) posted a great recipe for a protein shake with 1tsbp flaxseed meal. I think her recipe is on the Low Carb thread somewhere (ice, almond milk, 1 scoop of your favorite whey protein, sweetner of your choice [i use Stevia], 1 tbsp flax seed meal). I'm in love with this recipe and I make post-workout smoothies often.

Other sources of fat for me - fatty/oily fish, nuts.

I also eat a lot of cheese.

And I have a good marbled steak now and then.

MrsMia

Well, I took some tips given here and am applying them. I really like avacados but it has to be in the form of guacamole. (it's a texture issue to eat them cut up) I bought some prepared guacamole (looks like all good ingredients and nothing bizarre added). I then used 2 TBs of guacamole, 2 TB of sour cream and 2 TB of the freshest made salsa I could find and use that to eat my salad with. Best thing of all I get basically no re-action to it with my bg's whereas the salad dressing I was using for my salads raised my bg's up a bit higher and had all kinds of things in it that I'm not even sure what they are.

So now I am using butter for my eggs and top the vegetables with, sour cream, guacamole, and a bit of fat from olive oil and nuts. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

One thing, though. The guacamole once opened starts to turn brown fast. Oxidation I guess. Is that safe to eat? I think it would be hard to make very tiny amounts of guacamole fresh. Especially since I only use a few tablespoons at a time. Any suggestions?

raffi

I believe it is still safe to eat. I have eaten some guacamole that had very little resemblance to the original color and other than not tasting as good, there did not seem to be any ill effects.

MrsMia

I hope so, raffi. I hate throwing away food if it isn't spoiled. I was surprised at how quickly it started to turn. Sort of like an apple does after you bite into it. It did smell good still so maybe I should just keep eating it until it tastes or smells funny.

jenb
One thing, though. The guacamole once opened starts to turn brown fast. Oxidation I guess. Is that safe to eat? I think it would be hard to make very tiny amounts of guacamole fresh. Especially since I only use a few tablespoons at a time. Any suggestions?

Even when it turns that hideous grey-brown color on top, guacamole is still OK to eat for a couple of days; Just stir it well and you'll probably find that immediately under the discolored portion it's still bright green. You can prevent some of that oxidation by sprinkling a little lime or lemon juice on top and then placing plastic wrap directly on top of the guac. Make sure the plastic is in contact with the entire surface.

Jen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.