Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todd G.

FYI Chinese Food

Todd G.

I was curious about the carb content of chinese food after a big spike in BG after some last night. I know the problem was the cornstarch used as a thickener in almost all chinese food, so I looked it up.

Powdered sugar has about 9grams of carbs per tbsp

Cornstarch has about 7.5 grams per tbsp

A pint of egg drop soup may have as much as 2 tbsp of cornstarch in it.

Sauces and gravies are going to have at least that much per volume too.

So I'm guessing the pint of soup I had plus the pint of beef and broccoli with brown sauce had maybe 20'ish grams of fast acting carbs just from the cornstarch alone.

I post this because some people, myself included, fail to consider the hidden carb content in some things.

foxl

Crouching Tiger, hidden cornstarch?

Good thing Chinese people do not cook like Chinese restaurants, at home!

VeeJay

Because I'm allergic to corn, I have asked for my dish to be prepared without cornstarch (which means it's not thickened at all). Some places are accommodating. Of course, a buffet would not work for me.

Mussakka

A lot of Chinese restaurant food has hidden sugar in it as well, which could account for some of that. It's added to many dishes not to make them sweet, but to counter bitterness or give that sweet/sour sort of flavor. Cornstarch is common, but not all places use it.

jwags

When I cook chinese I thicken sauces with resistant starch. It is a hybrid version of cornstarch and it doesn't spike me. I think a lot of brown sauces do have hidden sugars in them. I know whenever I am looking for sauces in the store I check the labels. Some of the sauces are quite carby, as much as 14 per Tablespoon. I usually order the hot and sour soup and don't have too many problems.

samorgan

I read somewhere that I think it was Dr. B used to carry those [cheap] strips used for testing for glucose in urine when eating out. He would masticate a sample of the food and then test the liquid mix from his mouth with the strips. This would reveal any "hidden" carbs in any food.

MCS

A wonderful new Pan Buffet opened here in town. They have a raw bar, where you plate up all the raw veggies and meat you want and then they cook them right in front of you. It was great, except for the fact that all of there sauces contain sugar. Even the water they use to steam the veggies in the end is sugar water. Sucks-the-bigone it does. I have to tell them to not uses any sauce at all on my plate. I stick to the simple cooked items, no sauces. It seems to work for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.