Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bountyman

5-hour Energy Drink: (1 hour was enough)

Bountyman

logo.png

Yeah, boy! A little dab'll do ya' with this stuff! You see the guy in the image above running UP the hill? I'm here to tell ya' that's no stretch of the truth. This stuff is legal speed!

I'm in the supermarket yesterday, I spy the 5-hour Energy Drink rack and think to myself, oh what the heck, a little more energy, maybe I'll clean the stove, trim the lawn with my mustache scissors or maybe 'Snow White' the roof and repaint the trailer!

The Niacinamide, yeah that flushed me like my grandmother hearing an off-color joke. I'm not sure how all that stuff works, the 2000% (RDA) of B6, the 8333% (RDA) of B12, the 1870mg of "Energy Blend"...but I'm here to tell you...I've got the cleanest toilet in town. But that's all existential. What I'm here to report is what it did to my blood sugars.

About 2 hours into this I've got my stove top apart widening out the propane jet because my stew just doesn't cook fast enough these days. I'm feeling just a bit lightheaded so I grab my trusty meter and do a blood test. The hypo alarm goes off! 22 months I've been doing this and this is the first reading under 70mg/dL I've ever gotten. That absolutely begged for another test. 71mg/dL. H'm...one more test. Hypo alarm went off again.

Never had a hypo and I can now relate (somewhat) to those who get hypos from their particular brand of diabetes. I've experienced highs before, this was WAY different. My girlfriend said I smelled like a Flintstone chewable vitamin when we hit the rack last night. Actually...here lately, I'll take that as a compliment FROM HER!! For now, I probably have enough B vitamins in me to last until Easter! On the flip side...I might use this in smaller quantities as a bolus when I feel like a bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy. :D

jenb

Hmmmm....earlier this week I went for a speed walk with my sister. She kicked my proverbial arse! Maybe I should stock on that stuff.

Jen

GrammaBear

I, too, have always wondered what was in the Energy drinks and how it would affect a diabetic person. Your girlfriend is lucky to have someone who cleans the stove....doesn't work that way at my house. :)

Bountyman
Your girlfriend is lucky to have someone who cleans the stove....doesn't work that way at my house. :)

She cooks...I clean. I cook...she cleans.

Tattoo azz

So you're really the squirrel in "Over the hedge"? lmao. I'd like to know what that stuff does to a t1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.