Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tolarius

"Which Type" Merry-Go Round

tolarius

Hello Everyone,

So a quick rundown of my story:

I was DX with Diabetes back in June of 2010. My A1C was clocked at 16.9%. The doctors put me on 500mg metformin/5g glyburide twice a day. Three months later A1C is at 5.6. The doc takes me off glyburide and in Feb my A1C comes back 6.2. I go to my first endo appointment a few weeks ago and they run a a C-peptide and antibodies test. The results were:

C-Peptide: "normal" I think it was in high 1's, like 1.8 (my endo says C-pep isn't a defining factor in what type you have because it depends on what you have ate that day, in which case I hadn't ate anything)

Antibodies: I didn't get a count but I had a very "low number" of GAD antibodies and that was it.

Physically wise, when I was DX with Diabetes I was around 230 pounds, 6'6, 25 years old.

Since then I have done alot of exercising and lifestyle changes, and I have gone down to 180. The endo has put me on 1000mg of metformin a day and my blood sugar has been doing well for the most part.

My endo says that "your a type 2 that could potentially slip into type 1"...never heard of slipping into a different type.

Just want to get everyone's thoughts on it...Thanks

dbaratta

T2 can be progressive, I guess that is what he meant by T2 slipping into T1? Not very medical now is it?

Do what you are doing, it seems to be working. T2's don't have to progress if they control with diet and exercise there is a good chance that you could regress. I was hoping for regression but my C-Pep came back abnormally low. :i(

tolarius
Do you have lab results on the GAD antibodies? Numbers ... ? There is low, and there is low.

I believe they were below 10...

foxl
I believe they were below 10...

Mine were 30, 4 mos after DKA, and 3 about a year out ... but they were from 2 labs ...

NoraWI

Any positive result from a GAD65 antibody test puts you into the autoimmune camp -- Type 1. Can be slow progressing. And, yes, the c-peptide test should be done fasting as it does vary greatly with the food consumed.

foxl

I had a "challenge" c-pep, deliberately, Nora. It showed me with a BG of 140 after eating 20 g carb ... and only in the middle of normal range. So I apparently was maxed out, in the middle of normal ... I thought that was telling -- no hyperinsulinemia for me.

There are apparently people who are GAD-positive but never progress to Diabetes, according to a paper (I do not have citation handy) in PubMed from 2003. Most of the more recent papers consider GAD to indicate autoimmunity against the pancreas, though.

There was / is a member here who has had GAD antibodies of (IIRC) around 3, and not progressed for 11 - 12 years ...

I expected with my lower titer, lower-carbing and insulin, and no weight gain, not to progress as quickly as I have -- 2 yrs out and using low doses of both basal and bolus insulins.

sweetblood

linda, what do u think of a negative GAD and insulin AB but slightly high islet cell AB twice, in the span of a yr? my endo seems to think i am not diabetic cause i had a gtt that was normal- but i think my monthly cycle skewed the test greatly... i was running lower sugars at that time.

i seem to run essentially normal to low sugars for a week or so then they go higher (200 plus) at least an hr postprandially... i am stuck between a rock in a hard place. frankly i am fed up with the medical community in my area because i really do think there is a problem and i want to take care of it before it escalates...

so now, i will just eat as healthfully as possible and continue to take biotin and b 12 as i do find that improves my readings, and i do have b 12 deficiency dx and im sure i was grossely deficient in biotin, as my hair was sooo dry and brittle; biotin has done absolute WONDERS for my hair :)

sorry for the long post, got carried away. but i can relate to the type merry go round. no fun.

foxl

I dunno on the IC antibodies. I am sure your docs don't, either.

I am a big supporter of Vitamin D for immune system though! You might look into it -- especially if you had some deficiencies. B12 deficiency raises an eyebrow -- do you have parietal cell autoantibodies? Might be worth investigating that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.