Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lynetta

New to the forums and Type 2 diabetic and pregnant.

Lynetta

Hi everyone. I am a type 2 diabetic for 6 months now, on 1000mg Metformin and just found out last week that I am 5 weeks pregnant. I am really feeling bad at the moment and wondering if anyone has experienced what I am.

I woke up this morning with 8.7 fasting blood sugars. I have been getting that heart skipping feeling for about a week now like I am having a panic attack. After eating some cheese and drinking some V-8 juice I felt a bit better. Then the head ache started. I have had it all day. Tylenol hasn't helped me. I ate lunch and after that my sugars went down to 6.5 two hours after eating. Still had the headache and the heart skipping issue.

Dr says it is just panic attacks but I am not had issues with these attacks before in my life. He gave me an ekg and my heart was fine.

I guess I am just looking to see if any of you guys have any advice to me about keeping my sugars down and to get rid of this blasted headache!!!

Todd G.

Well, I'm a guy, so I don't even know why I'm here, but here's my best answer:

First of all, what were your numbers at DX. If they've come down a lot, the change could be what you're feeling. It also sounds like you're getting a liver dump in the morning which is why your fasting BG is high. Look around on the forum for dawn phenomonon and try some of the different things that have worked on other people.

Lastly, you're five weeks pregnant. I have never suffered, directly anyway, with this condition, but from what I hear your body is doing all kinds of strange things right now. Headaches are pretty far down on the symptom list. Wait until the weight gain kicks in and you try to eat your house. In any case, it will all be over in about 7.5 months. Good luck.

Jenifroufrou

Headaches are common in the first trimester of pregnancy. It's not just a diabetes thing, it's an every pregnant woman thing. Tylenol is safe for use in pregnancy and can help.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and have had problems with high fasting BG if I eat anything in the evening. I was on metformin and januvia prior to pregnancy but was changed to insulin in week five...24 units of N in the evening and not eating anything after about 9pm is controlling my blood sugar pretty well at the moment.

aiah23

Headaches are totally common 1st trimester and ease up big time in the 2nd (unless you're facing allergies at the same time). I'm surprised you're still on metformin. It's more common to be on insulin during pregnancy than on oral meds b/c it's considered class B (metformin I believe or some of the sulfur-containing orals like glipizide, etc) are class C meds. You reach that decision ultimately with your docs and your medical team. It is important to stay hydrated, you'll feel like you're drinking nothing but fluids but it's the best thing you can do for your body right now b/c your blood volume is going to increase 40-50% during pregnancy and it helps your kidneys if you remain hydrated.

Fawn

disgirl

Headaches are also common with high blood pressure. I have high blood pressure and I get headaches and I experience flutters of my heart sometimes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.